DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2021

4:3 works for certain things. It can give a movie a nice claustrophobic atmosphere. It can contain the action in a uniquely limited scope.

On paper, it's a really weird choice for a big superhero epic. Usually you go wider for action movies. But nobody has ever accused Zack Snyder of not being able to make striking visuals. He has zero understanding of any of the major DC characters he's put on screen, and his original stories have been... Incoherent. (I say that as someone that loved Sucker Punch, fwiw)

Four hours... That's a tough sell. Endgame was way too fucking long and still a lot shorter than this. The single strongest point the 2017 release had was it was only two hours.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The single strongest point the 2017 release had was it was only two hours.

Eh. Hey here's Flash who we have never met..   now care about him.   Hey here's Cyborg who we have never met.... now care about him.   Hey here's some mother boxes wtf are those?   ... now care about them.  

The only way it can even begin to be coherent is if all of this is explained and that's what's happening from the looks of it.   More Cyborg backstory.  More Flash backstory,  the vision that Batman has that leads to him needing to put these superheroes together..   Superman dying which leads to the invasion..

Snyder was tasked with placing Batman into the existing world and then doing a two part Justice League movie with only a Wonder Woman movie preceding them. 

How do you do a JL movie when Cyborg and Flash don't have proper origin stories,  you have to give them that background here. 

19 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

4 hours is split into 4 chapters 

Are you sure about that? I know that was talked about at one point. But I'm fairly sure they had to stick to a single 4 hour feature due to the contracts of the actors. Something about repurposing the original movie into an episodic format would trigger all of the actors needing to be paid a second time. So they had to scrap that idea and just keep a 4 hour presentation with no chapters or segment separations.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips

3 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Are you sure about that? I know that was talked about at one point. But I'm fairly sure they had to stick to a single 4 hour feature due to the contracts of the actors. Something about repurposing the original movie into an episodic format would trigger all of the actors needing to be paid a second time. So they had to scrap that idea and just keep a 4 hour presentation with no chapters or segment separations.

Deborah Snyder said last week that it will be 4 chapters/4 title cards so you can stop after each or watch through.  Maybe like the Hateful Eight. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:
OK, well that's interesting.

I really liked TNC's run on Black Panther and I'm guessing he's got some things to say about Superman.

Not too jazzed about the Abrams part, though.

The Abrams part worries me some, but the TNC part has me a little excited regardless.

Just now, Eivion said:

The Abrams part worries me some, but the TNC part has me a little excited regardless.

Sounds like he's not going to be the lead producer, Hannah Minghella will, so that's good at least.

Look, there hasn't been a good god damned Superman movie in 40 years.  I don't care if there are lens flares or whatever, I just want a good Superman story on the screen. 

Start with A Superman For All Seasons or For the Superman Who Has Everything and go from there. 

• Like 1

Relax yall. JJ is only producing. Do you know how many things Bad Robot produces?

Coates is a super interesting choice for writer that gives me hope. Now it all comes down to who is directing.

35 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Look, there hasn't been a good god damned Superman movie in 40 years.  I don't care if there are lens flares or whatever, I just want a good Superman story on the screen. 

I disagree with this since we have Red Son, the Elite, & All Star all animated. Now if you are just talking theaters then I can concur.

• Like 1

And per Hollywood Reporter - Warner Brothers "intends" for Superman to be black in this new movie

Aka - they are doing Calvin Ellis

AND AND - they are tying into something from awhile ago that their first choice is Michael B Jordan