DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2021

15 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

What I saw here doesn't look significantly better with the copious amounts of layered, cartoony CG and slow-motion effects.

i'm not here to argue with anyone.. i realize you guys all had your minds made on Snyder several years ago. ?

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Haha 1

Y'know, at least Endgame had a good reason to be 3 hours long, since it was the culmination of 10 years and like twenty something movies. This is four hours long and is the culmination of three movies within 4 years of each other.

• Like 2

Apparently nerdy Edgelord Joker fans used to say "We live in a society" as a way of expressing of how being a social reject makes you better than everyone else (or something), but it backfired and became a meme mocking them for finding profundity in the facile. So there was a petition to have Joker say We live in a Society in Joker, which did nowt. And now Joker has said it in Zack Snyder's Justice League trailer because either he thought it was funny too, or he's just pandering for goodwill. Or both.

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

I can appreciate a long movie if the length is justifiable and there's stuff I really enjoy seeing, like the extended editions of Fellowship and the Ring and Two Towers.

That be an interesting topic. Films worth/not worth the running time.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

It's crazy how in a few years, Joss Whedon went from being one of the most powerful and beloved filmmakers in town to now being persona non grata. That's got to be one of the most meteoric rises and falls in that short amount of time in cinematic history. 

I remember back in the 00s people were wanting Whedon to be the guy to take over X-Men 3 from Bryan Singer or Matthew Vaughn due to Astonishing X-Men.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Casey said:

So even an massive fanboy of DC/Snyder can't even come up with a good reason why this needs to be four hours long. Got it.

No. i just have no reason to go back and forth with people who are in this thread for no other reason than to antagonize.  You don't like the movies. i read your posts back in 2013 or Matt's posts back in 2013 and then again a couple years later and then again a couple years after that.  

i like the movies. you read my posts over the years explaining why i like them. 

I watched Birds of Prey. It's totally a Harley Quinn solo movie, with some other characters. It's odd, how Margot Robbie has managed to have iconic performances as Harley in two separate movies, and both of them weren't, like, any good.

28 minutes ago, AxB said:

I watched Birds of Prey. It's totally a Harley Quinn solo movie, with some other characters. It's odd, how Margot Robbie has managed to have iconic performances as Harley in two separate movies, and both of them weren't, like, any good.

Its not odd when you consider Harley isn't really a sensible character for either franchise. Even in the comics when she was in either her placement felt forced and unnecessary. Harley is a character who generally speaking belongs on her own or in a team of misfits. While the Squad employs misfits, it also has a fair amount of serious players and is government run. Its also still technically black ops, and Harley is way too loud for that as a regular member.

Just got through a re watch of BvS and Justice League over the last couple nights. Wanted to have the story fresh in mind for when the Snyder Cut drops. Batman is my favorite comic book character, so even if it's a bad movie I'm gonna watch it if Batman's in it. BvS Ultimate Cut is pretty rough to get through. There's parts of it I really like. But they just cram too many characters and stories into the same movie. It's like you make a chili but fuck man I like bacon so let's throw some bacon in there. Ranch is good, who cares if it belongs in chili. Yo put some chocolate in there, there's a heat and sweet thing I wanna try. But let's be healthy and put some turkey in too. It's too chaotic to have a unified flow. All the Senate hearings / fallout from being setup in the desert are just a chore to get through. They almost should have used that for the basis of Man Of Steel 2 and had that lead into BvS. Would have really helped the narrative.

But man going straight from BvS to Justice League is jarring. It goes from rough to fluff on a dime. When I originally saw Justice League it wasn't fresh off a BvS watch. This time, it's just too stark of a contrast. You go from the dark gritty color palate to bright and almost candy sweet. None of the characters or story beats match what just happened in the last movie. Agro Bruce Wayne who wanted to kill the hostile alien just a few weeks before this goes down, all of a sudden is cracking jokes and acts like Superman was his life long BFF. The Snyder Cut, at the very least, will at least connect better to BvS's narrative.

I'm looking forward to the Snyder Cut just to see how different his original story was. I have a feeling out of 4 hours there's gonna be less than an hour of overlap from what we've seen. And I do think it will feel more authentic than the Whedon schizophrenic cut. But I'm not sure, even with a home run, that the DCEU is worth trying to salvage. I just have this sneaking suspicion that Flash Point is gonna try and retcon everything so they can move forward with a newish DCEU, but it's just gonna make things worse. You botched it. Trying to use superglue and paperclips to fix it is just gonna backfire. Accept defeat and try a new strategy. Let The Batman be the beginning of a new DCU universe, and do it right.

• Like 1