DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2021

Next up for DC, TENTATIVELY  scheduled to be released August 6th in theaters and HBO Max. 

Reminder that The Snyder Cut of Justice League will be released on HBO Max as 4 hour-long episodes instead of one insanely long movie, in March.  

And fuck y'all, I liked WW84.  

• Like 1

Wonder Woman 1984 Rotten Tomatoes ratings started in the high 80s Fresh fittingly for the 1984 title and gained a Certified Fresh rating. The Certified Fresh rating is there no longer and it's now 60%, dips below that becomes rotten. Can't remember a film dropping like it has on Rotten Tomatoes. Wonder Woman is 93% Fresh with a CF rating. Long before that, I was sceptical about the runtime of Wonder Woman 1984 and wasn't in a rush to see it so read spoilers:

Spoiler

Steve Trevor is back by possessing another man's body and he/Wonder Woman are cool with it? WTF was Patty Jenkins or whoever wrote it thinking? Wonder Woman convinced all to give up their wishes? Tad convenient, there will be those who won't.

As noted the runtime of 151 minutes.

Weak third act two Wonder Woman films running?

The difference in tone between Wonder Woman and Wonder Woman 1984. Too different?

I will watch the film at some point though. Not yet.

---

Been thinking about biggest dip in quality between sequels while having the same director. I've come up with:

Iron Man and Iron Man 2 by Jon Favreau.

The Mask of Zorro and The Legend of Zorro, Martin Campbell.

Men in Black and Men in Black II, Barry Sonnenfeld.

The Bourne Ultimatum and Jason Bourne, Paul Greengrass.

Skyfall and Spectre, Sam Mendes.

Avengers Assemble and Avengers: Age of Ultron by Joss Whedon.

Edited by The Natural

We were all really disappointed with WW84. My 10 year old daughter even called out a lot of the bullshit in the movie, namely the ending and stuff with Steve. 

The more I wind up thinking about it, the more I think the movie really sucks. I don't know if I'd feel the same if it was just 2 hours of stupid shit instead of 2 1/2 hours. 

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

We were all really disappointed with WW84. My 10 year old daughter even called out a lot of the bullshit in the movie, namely the ending and stuff with Steve. 

The more I wind up thinking about it, the more I think the movie really sucks. I don't know if I'd feel the same if it was just 2 hours of stupid shit instead of 2 1/2 hours. 

Sorry it was a disappointment. If it's any consolation, you've an observant daughter bringing up bullshit.

With the reviews it's getting, Wonder Woman 1984 will have underperformed at the box office if the world wasn't caught up in the coronavirus pandemic.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Caught WW84 two nights ago. Generally felt it was mixed bag. The villains were better done, but the film would have been better served using just one of them. I particularly thought they should have spent more time on Diana and Barbara's relationship. It would have made their later scenes stronger. I thought the scenes with Steve were mostly good. The big issue I think people have is one particular scene which was small, but also problematic in our current culture (for the better). I'm surprised they honestly did it. The film runs too long. I wouldn't say it ever gets boring, but you do start to feel the time and question why. The third act is better than the first film's, but its also one of the parts where they stretched things too long time wise. The final fight scene between Cheetah and Diana was a bit jarring with the CGI. I understand why they used it, but it wasn't the best quality which is a shame because the actual fight was solid enough. The actual big finish to the story didn't quite work either.

Spoiler

Diana is a random person to most of the world does not know so her convincing them to give up their wishes felt like bs. Had they kept it on Lord himself with the scenes of his son in danger it would have been fine.

Overall I don't think its ever as weak as the first film, but it was never as strong either. I don't dislike the movie, but it was more on the disappointing side than I expected.

On 1/2/2021 at 11:30 PM, The Natural said:

Hide contents

Steve Trevor is back by possessing another man's body and he/Wonder Woman are cool with it? WTF was Patty Jenkins or whoever wrote it thinking?

The difference in tone between Wonder Woman and Wonder Woman 1984. Too different?

Spoiler

Trevor isn't fine with it and knows he needs to eventually go. Diana isn't cool with it so much as she has trouble letting go. The issue was more the two sleeping together which many see as rape since the guy whose body Trevor inhabited couldn't give consent. It was odd minefield for them to walk into especially for such a small scene. You would have thought someone would have said this was maybe a bad idea.

I don’t think it was even necessarily an issue of too many villains as it was too many stories.  There’s a version of this story that’s just Lord/Cheetah vs. Wonder Woman that’s just fine.  But you couldn’t do that PLUS the Trevor body swap story, PLUS squeeze in a Lord redemption arc, etc.  That’s just too much ground to adequately cover, even in 2.5 hours.  The Trevor story, in particular, raised too many questions that the movie didn’t even attempt to address, as has been talked over plenty already, so I won’t belabor it.

At some point, they needed to decide if the movie was about Diana/Barbara and the nature of feminine power or about Diana/Steve and temptation.  They tried to have it all (kinda*), and it didn’t work.

Personally, I would’ve gone with the Diana/Barbara story, as the feminine power angle seems like a more appropriate focus for a Wonder Woman movie, rather than turning Diana into a spinster who never got over a guy she spent a week or two with 70 years ago.  That is JJ Abrams-caliber character assassination.

*The movie makes a weird philosophical choice to keep Diana far too squeaky clean for a temptation story.  We never even hear her make the wish to bring Steve back (even though its explicitly portrayed that everybody else has to verbalize their wish, in some fashion).  It’s just portrayed as this happy accident.  “Oh, that worked?”  It’s basically a story about Diana spilling some milk and having to clean it up, as opposed to having a genuine character flaw exposed that she has to come to terms with and correct.  It’s a story about temptation where the hero is never really tempted.  It’s never in doubt that she’ll do anything except the right thing (excluding all the creepy stuff that the movie would rather you not think about).  A very weird choice!

• Like 1

Another thing I didn't notice until my second watch was that they're using CGI for a bunch of times that Diana is running as Wonder Woman. It looks so bad and it winds up looking like she's ice skating. Look, those boots she wears are great, but if you can't run in them, then figure out something she can run in. It just looks so weird when she's supposed to be running, but there's no observable weight being placed on any of her steps.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Another thing I didn't notice until my second watch was that they're using CGI for a bunch of times that Diana is running as Wonder Woman. It looks so bad and it winds up looking like she's ice skating. Look, those boots she wears are great, but if you can't run in them, then figure out something she can run in. It just looks so weird when she's supposed to be running, but there's no observable weight being placed on any of her steps.

My wife, daughter and I actually lol’d when she gets her powers back and takes off running. 

• Like 1

This isn't really breaking news but Bautista confirmed that he was originally supposed to be a part of The Suicide Squad but decided to do Army of the Dead instead (part of the reason ironically being because he wanted to work with Zack Snyder)

1 hour ago, EVA said:

I think Batista was supposed to be Peacemaker, which is the role Cena got.  Don’t think they would’ve been in the movie together.

I can't really see that with the pretty big difference in size between the two. Batista also tried to get the Bane role at one point so it makes more sense that Gunn would have given him that if he joined.

On 1/5/2021 at 11:48 AM, Eivion said:

This better be leading to A Batman Beyond movie.

One I've wanted for a while. Two scenes that need to be recreated:

Emotive these. Especially Bruce Wayne's last time as Batman resorting to a gun to save himself and horrified what he does calls it a day.

Edited by The Natural

18 hours ago, EVA said:

I mean, that’s what Variety reported at the time.  Cena was specifically a replacement for Bautista.

Still doesn't feel right. I don't see Gunn giving a douchebag Captain America type of role to Batista.