DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies - 2021

11 minutes ago, Matt D said:

They lucked out on timing. Things are shutting down. I think two weeks later it might have been different.

Dunno.  Things don’t seem to be shutting down in my part of the country.  College volleyball game I went to last night had around 18,000 fans and set an attendance record, so….

Edited by Mario

Yeah - I don't think anything is shutting down again. (There are reasons for this based on articles I have seen and things officials have said but this thread isn't the place for them).

Regarding the box office - it again seems as folks are willing to go to the theaters for very specific types of movies and they are the things you can bring the kids too.

Nightmare Alley bombed while opening against Spiderman. And West Side Story is a dud. I mean this isn't a kind paragraph

To date, the musical remake of the 1961 classic has earned just $17.98million, placing it alongside the likes of Jon M. Chu’s In the Heights, Ridley Scott’s The Last Duel, and Disney’s Encanto as one of the more disappointing box office earners of the year.

I think Encanto’s box office was probably hurt by the fact it’s already debuting on Disney+ this Friday.  We considered taking our daughter as a “Hey, you’re now fully vaccinated!” surprise, but we figured why risk it when we can just wait like two or three weeks.

20 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I believe there are both mid- and post-credits scenes.

@Zimbra's right. I watched Spider-Man: No Way Home yesterday.

@Matt D's right about the timing of Spider-Man: No Way Home's release. I think things are going to shut down again.

Edited by The Natural

I meant to make this post sooner.

2021 means two Marvel Studios movies turned ten years old while two turned five. I'll do them by release date:

Thor (2011) was the fourth Marvel Studios film, the first in 3D I believe and coming out of the cinema, I had it as the best Marvel Studios film for a short period of time until I rewatched Iron Man. Thor is still really good for the familial relationship between Odin/Thor/Loki and what that meant for other characters, the performances and direction by Sir. Kenneth Branagh. The Warriors 3: Volstagg, Fandral and Hogun get their best showing here as does Sif. Ive always liked Jaimie Alexanders Lady Sif. This film acted as an intro to Thor's world as the only thing I knew was Mjolnir, his enchanted hammer and he's the God of Thunder. Thor is another(!) underrated film in the Marvel Studios Marvel Cinematic Universe series.

The best things about Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) is Chris Evans in the title role, Hayley Atwell, the period setting in World War II, how Steve Rogers becomes Captain America and the ending. The time period and the ending are unique to comic book films as Captain America sacrifices himself crashing the plane to save lives to wake up seventy years later after getting frozen finding out things have changed. Star Spangled Man with a Plan is one of the best pieces of music in the MCU. I love the line spoken by Skinny Steve: "I don't like bullies, I don't care where they're from." The post-credits scene gave us our first teaser for Avengers Assemble too. I remember it leaking and seeing it before it was taken down. Opinion on this film is that you really like it or you really dont. I do. I really liked it at the time and more since then.

Captain America: Civil War (2016) brings Marvel Phase Three and the Accords, a legal document which will control the actions of the signees. This causes divisions for and against. Captain America: Civil War is a top three MCU film, it uses the previous films well. The airport battle sequence between Team Captain America and Team Iron Man is so memorable. I've watched that so many times. Peter Parker/Spider-Man makes his long awaited MCU appearance and steals the show, welcome home Spidey. I sat right up when the word Queens came up on the screen knowing what it meant. Ant-Man is a very funny highlight. Black Panther's entry played by the late, great Chadwick Boseman needs a mention. The three way fight at the end between Tony, Steve and Bucky is personal. Baron Zemo doesnt have powers but damaged the Avengers like few have. Captain America: Civil War is an Avengers film in all but name. People call it Avengers 2.5. This is a better Avengers sequel than the one we got in Avengers: Age of Ultron one year earlier.

I felt positive vibes about Doctor Strange (2016) before its release from the trailers especially, costumes, and posters. I enjoyed Doctor Strange. Origin comic book stories and films are a favourite of mine seeing the start of them. I'm also a fan of magic since a boy. Doctor Strange ticked those boxes. I liked the task of the sorcerers to guard against mystic threats from different dimensions, the theme of time especially how Strange used it to stop Dormammu/his zealots to the usual way comic book films resolve things. That made the film standout. The ending is also a favourite part with Doctor Stephen Strange looking out of his own Sanctum Sanctorum with the accompanying music as he wears his broken watch and opens his scarred hand out. This was a 3D film worth seeing in the format. Dredd, Gravity and Mad Max: Fury Road the others. Shame it's taken so long to get a sequel, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness out next year.

Hollywood Reporter says that all the Dr Strange 2 "reshoots were done in order to add more big cameos and character introductions"

According to the outlet’s source, the studio decided to have “more fun with the multiverse"

I will leave you to decide if that is a good or bad thing. I will just say that for a movie that is constantly pimped as the MCU's "first horror movie" the choice of saying "have more fun" is eyebrow raising

Educated guesses and based off leaks:

Spoiler

Rachel McAdams is Clea, Mordo with dreads is from the multiverse, and they’re both probably in the Illuminati.

Wanda looks fucking badass. Crazy we’re getting America Chavez before Kamala Khan, but here we are. Also, the “dark” Strange - a previous timeline version of Supreme Strange from What If? A swerve? A different Strange all together?

This movie might end up being more crazy than No Way Home, honestly.

On 12/23/2021 at 2:50 AM, Eivion said:

I'm just happy we get to see

Hide contents

Shuma Gorath. Kind of hope we get a Cancerverse reference.

I was stoked!

Spoiler

My daughter thought he was Cthulu.   WHERE DID I FAIL HER~??

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

So, I have found out rather late that Matt Smith will be playing the bad guy in Morbius.  I may have to watch that fucking movie after all.

I'm not sure if Matt Smith or Michael Keaton gets me to watch Morbius. Michael Keaton is in The Flash movie and the title character played by Ezra Miller is the thing I want to see the least. Hoping for a ReleasethenoEzraMiller cut. 

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic