DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies - 2021

18 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Eternals current sitting right on the edge with 60% fresh. Had been 59% yesterday. 

Yeah and there's a lot more reviews to come. A rotten Marvel Studios film was going to be rotten at some point. I didn't think it'd be Eternals though. I thought it would land in the 70-80% range.

Edited by The Natural

count me in on the Bring It On love. definitely a guilty pleasure movie, although i have no intention of ever watching any of the sequels.  As for what there is to like about it? Kirsten Dunst. 'nuff said.

also, i'm apprehensive about Eternals. I saw the theatrical trailer and it didn't hook me, like, at all. will still give it a shot, but i highly doubt i'll see it opening weekend (my first with Marvel movies since the first Iron Man!) i just fear this might have been a mis-step. Eternals is pretty high-concept, and even among comic fans, i don't know anybody that follows it. The comparison to GotG makes a lot of sense (and is what gives me hope), but i don't get the same vibe from the two films. I'm not really one for following reviews, so i will have to just wait and see i guess. 

• Like 1

I can see Eternals being “high concept” while still being constrained to the MCU formula leading to reviewers and a lot of non-comics reading MCU fans being turned off.  Knowing really nothing about the plot of the movie, the concept seems like it may have played better as a D+ show. Regardless, I’m eager to see it.

• Like 1

A lot of the "complaints" I've seen in reviews and people overseas who have seen the movie already is that it's dialogue and plot heavy and not a lot of humor or action. So it's basically an MCU version of your typical drama, with some superheroes who do superhero things sometimes. I don't see that as a negative, but it's definitely going against the grain of what we and the "general audience" thinks an MCU movie is.

20 hours ago, Casey said:

A lot of the "complaints" I've seen in reviews and people overseas who have seen the movie already is that it's dialogue and plot heavy and not a lot of humor or action. So it's basically an MCU version of your typical drama, with some superheroes who do superhero things sometimes. I don't see that as a negative, but it's definitely going against the grain of what we and the "general audience" thinks an MCU movie is.

From what I've read, besides this complaint there's a lot of the opposite, bitching that Marvel can only make one movie. It's pretty damn weird that reviewers en masse can have completely opposite takeaways ?

Still hoping to catch it in theaters but that will depend on actual fan word of mouth. 

Production on Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is going to be paused while Letitia Wright recovers:

Apparently it happened in August, and they were just shooting the bits of the movie she isn't in for the last few months.

Because he isn't stupid - Henry Cavill said he would absolutely be interested in acting in the MCU

In a new interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Cavill was asked about the possibility of him ever joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe, especially with his role as Superman currently up in the air. While Cavill said that he’d never want to take a role away from another actor, there is one person he’d be fine with playing.

“I’m never going to say a Marvel character that is already being played by someone else because everyone’s doing such an amazing job,” he said. “However, I have the internet and I have seen the various rumors about Captain Britain and that would be loads of fun to do a cool, modernized version of that — like the way they modernized Captain America. There’s something fun about that, and I do love being British.”

• Like 6

On 11/9/2021 at 10:41 AM, RIPPA said:

There are leaked images out that technically spoil things for No Way Home (not really if you pretty much have been on the internet in the last two years)

The specific one you're referring to is absolutely no shocker, but the one getting less attention has me pretty fucking stoked...

Spoiler

Charlie Cox back as Matt Murdock is truly thrilling, especially since that means we'll almost definitely get D'Onofrio back as Wilson Fisk!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

The specific one you're referring to is absolutely no shocker, but the one getting less attention has me pretty fucking stoked...

Reveal hidden contents

Charlie Cox back as Matt Murdock is truly thrilling, especially since that means we'll almost definitely get D'Onofrio back as Wilson Fisk!

Spoiler

That's the one I was most wanting as Charlie Cox is perfect as Matt Murdock/Daredevil, you're not going to get anyone better (ditto for Vincent D'Onofrio as Wilson Fisk/The Kingpin) and I LOVE Daredevil S1/S3. I maintain S1 followed by S3 is not only the best thing from Marvel Studios but is the best live action Marvel has ever done.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1