DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies - 2021

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Man, there's a lot to unpack with that trailer, but of course my mind goes to wondering why Wong is there at the end, followed by wondering what's up with where this falls in the timeline because I thought this was supposed to be before much of anything.

Based just on the trailer, it seems like it will span the timeline and cover their “origins,” at least on Earth, up to whatever necessitates them getting involved, which seems like it could be the blip.

I know absolutely nothing about The Eternals. I will see it for sure, because it's Marvel and I have a bit of completion-ist OCD. But I have to tell you that trailer looked boring to me. Very boring. Like paint drying boring. Zero excitement for this one. I have a feeling Shang Chi & Eternals are going to be a couple of big stumbles for Marvel. But we'll see, Marvel has certainly earned the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Man, there's a lot to unpack with that trailer, but of course my mind goes to wondering why Wong is there at the end, followed by wondering what's up with where this falls in the timeline because I thought this was supposed to be before much of anything.

That's actually Don Lee as Gilgamesh, not Wong.  

No Kit Harrington in the trailer (at least that I saw) so he either has a small part or is quite important or both.  I think I'm most looking forward to Black Knight coming out of this and opening up Excalibur.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, roofiethebutcher said:

No Kit Harrington in the trailer (at least that I saw) so he either has a small part or is quite important or both.  I think I'm most looking forward to Black Knight coming out of this and opening up Excalibur.  

Harrington was there, but it was a "blink and you'll miss it" shot.  

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I know absolutely nothing about The Eternals. I will see it for sure, because it's Marvel and I have a bit of completion-ist OCD. But I have to tell you that trailer looked boring to me. Very boring. Like paint drying boring. Zero excitement for this one. I have a feeling Shang Chi & Eternals are going to be a couple of big stumbles for Marvel. But we'll see, Marvel has certainly earned the benefit of the doubt.

Same here.  We didn't see a villain or any real idea of the plot in that trailer. 

I know Marvel has built up a lot of goodwill and people like me will watch these just because they're Marvel, but both of these are way outside the mainstream.  I mean Guardians of the Galaxy was, too.  But that was in the middle of a phase with a Cap movie before it and an Avengers movie after.  Starting off your next phase with two relative unknowns is pretty ballsy, man.  I think they know that, too, hence the Avengers mention right at the end of the trailer just to remind you that this is the same universe :D

Applying Meltzer-esque "none of my son's friends dressed as wrestlers for Halloween" logic, Shang Chi figures are doing a great job keeping the pegs warm at my local Target.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, roofiethebutcher said:

Ah ok. I watched on my phone since work put YouTube into Restricted Mode for everyone so I was going by sound of voice more than anything and it had sounded like Wong.

Also, count me in for thinking Eternals and Shang Chi will be stumbles for Marvel. People thought they were taking a chance on GotG, but since both were announced, Eternals and Shang Chi sounded like huge gambles that wouldn't pay off. However, in Feige we trust and all that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Same here.  We didn't see a villain or any real idea of the plot in that trailer. 

I know Marvel has built up a lot of goodwill and people like me will watch these just because they're Marvel, but both of these are way outside the mainstream.  I mean Guardians of the Galaxy was, too.  But that was in the middle of a phase with a Cap movie before it and an Avengers movie after.  Starting off your next phase with two relative unknowns is pretty ballsy, man.  I think they know that, too, hence the Avengers mention right at the end of the trailer just to remind you that this is the same universe ?

Applying Meltzer-esque "none of my son's friends dressed as wrestlers for Halloween" logic, Shang Chi figures are doing a great job keeping the pegs warm at my local Target.

To be fair on the toy front, WW84 Lego sets and action figures also didn't sell a ton because they were released so far ahead of the movie coming out because of scheduling musical chairs. I expect that's the same for Shang Chi. Probably a bunch of kids don't even know what Shang Chi is yet.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

God I so want to create the Meltzer scale of culture relevance because there is that, the "I didn't see it sold at Hot Topic" one or "the students in the college class I spoke to didn't know them" one which is a low key favorite of mine

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Craig H said:

To be fair on the toy front, WW84 Lego sets and action figures also didn't sell a ton because they were released so far ahead of the movie coming out because of scheduling musical chairs. I expect that's the same for Shang Chi. Probably a bunch of kids don't even know what Shang Chi is yet.

Definitely.  I was surprised to see them so soon.  But to be fair, to borrow a term I heard somewhere (maybe in Toys That Made Us?) the Shang Chi figures I've seen are not very "Toyetic."  They're incredibly bland. 

20 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

God I so want to create the Meltzer scale of culture relevance because there is that, the "I didn't see it sold at Hot Topic" one or "the students in the college class I spoke to didn't know them" one which is a low key favorite of mine

I love the idea of Dave regularly shopping at Hot Topic.  Like he's stocking up on fishnet shirts, black nail polish, and Doc Martens.

PLEASE NOTE: my Hot Topic experience goes as far as 1998, YMMV

Edited by Technico Support

I have gotten my teenage son a few shirts the last couple of years from Hot Topic that are his current favorite ones to wear

I AM A HIP DAD~!

Anyway to be slightly on topic - I am almost at the point where I want all the Marvel movies to be weird and take chances.

I will always enjoy the traditional big shoot'em ups but y'all told me that a mutant that turns into a Russian Bear is possible and now that is all I want out of a feature length film

• Like 1

Read nothing of Eternals in comics so I'm not quite sure what they are supposed to be or are about. The trailer wasn't anything special, but it has my curiosity at least.

Like Eternals I read nothing and Shang-Chi and know little of him. That trailer did less for me though. 

Not sure will either will fall critically though I think they will do ok at worst. Financially on the other hand I have no idea with both having issues getting into China.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I love the idea of Dave regularly shopping at Hot Topic.  Like he's stocking up on fishnet shirts, black nail polish, and Doc Martens.

PLEASE NOTE: my Hot Topic experience goes as far as 1998, YMMV

Dave has an entire closet of "You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're the same" t-shirts.

RE: Eternals I want big cosmic weirdness not people standing around in slightly unusual clothes so the trailer didn't do much for me.  Hopefully they're just saving all the weird shit for the movie.

• Like 1

Looking forward to Barry Keoghan becoming the first Irish non-CGI or voice  MCU actor in Eternals (Kerry Condron voiced Friday and Tom Vaughan-Lawlor voiced/played Ebony Maw). Keoghan's an actor I've a real soft spot for, he's from a really rough part of Dublin and had a rough childhood, so he's not the usual kid with connections who normally hog all the Irish roles (looking at you Domhnall Gleeson!). Plus, he looks like every kid who's ever stopped me outside the off licence asking me to buy them a naggin of vodka. G'wan Barry! 

Edited by Fighting a man with a perm
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Don’t forget the “my best friend is a [insert somewhat relevant occupation here] and he said…”

2 hours ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

Kerry Condron voiced Friday

I'm the pain in the ass who points out the bit players and what else they were in when you're trying to watch the movie.  Watching Avengers, I said to my wife, "hey, Iron Man's computer was Mike's daughter on Better Call Saul and she was also on Ray Donovan last season."  All I got was an annoyed look.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Matt D said:

Yeah, no one's excited about Eternals the movie because they love the marvel comic book characters, the Eternals, even if they maybe really like Sersi in Harras' Avengers run for pure nostalgia reasons or what not. People are excited due to the director/cast/possibilities/scope, etc, and even the idea that it's not boxed in by a lot of preconceived notions and marks that they have to it. It could be virtually anything based on the very broad idea that there are these immortal beings of great power that mortals have traditionally misunderstood to be more traditional gods.

No one is excited for The Eternals because the Eternals were Jack Kirby ripping himself at Marcek after New Gods shit the bed at DC when they " stole him".  I'm confident that the movie will be fun, and it looks like a lot of fun, but nobody has ever cared about The Eternals. This will be the first time ANYONE has cared about them. And I hope Kirby's fam is getting some dollars out of this.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

7 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I'm the pain in the ass who points out the bit players and what else they were in when you're trying to watch the movie.  Watching Avengers, I said to my wife, "hey, Iron Man's computer was Mike's daughter on Better Call Saul and she was also on Ray Donovan last season."  All I got was an annoyed look.

To paraphrase my girlfriend, "please stop telling me about how many of the cast appeared in Skins, I don't give a fuck, I'm trying to watch this period drama in peace" 

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Now wondering who Aidan Gillen should be in the MCU. 

Gyrich? The Fixer? The Mad Thinker? 

Hoo boy, just thinking about how many accents he could cram into one of those characters. 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Now wondering who Aidan Gillen should be in the MCU.  Gyrich? The Fixer? The Mad Thinker? 

Well, since he had GoT scheduling conflicts and that kept him from playing Dr. Strange and Deadpool 2 fucked up Black Tom Cassidy, I really have no idea what role would be good for him.

The Mad Thinker is already a thing in the MCU.  He was the technology whiz in The Vulture's gang in Homecoming. 

Gyrich was mauled by a bear (killed by Sabertooth) in the very first X-Man movie in 2000, but that can probably be retconned since the X-Men films from Fox were a setting apart at the time.

If they really wanted to impress me, they'd cast Gillen as Dracula in the sequel to their Blade reboot after Mahershala Ali filets Deacon Frost or whomever they pick as their vampire BBEG for the first movie.  Last time I checked, Dracula and all associated characters were public domain, although Universal has re-established copyrights for Frankenstein and The Wolf Man to preserve control of the Boris Karloff / Lon Cheney imagery IP..

Edited by J.T.

19 hours ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

Looking forward to Barry Keoghan becoming the first Irish non-CGI or voice  MCU actor in Eternals (Kerry Condron voiced Friday and Tom Vaughan-Lawlor voiced/played Ebony Maw). Keoghan's an actor I've a real soft spot for, he's from a really rough part of Dublin and had a rough childhood, so he's not the usual kid with connections who normally hog all the Irish roles (looking at you Domhnall Gleeson!). Plus, he looks like every kid who's ever stopped me outside the off licence asking me to buy them a naggin of vodka. G'wan Barry! 

Isn't Karen Gillan Irish?

• Like 1