DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies - 2021

On 12/1/2021 at 11:45 AM, RIPPA said:

Jessica Henwick revealed that she was offered the opportunity to return to the MCU in Shang-Chi (it is unclear if it was for her Colleen Wing role or something else) but due to Matrix 4 she couldn't do it.

She said that both movie studios (Marvel and WB) gave her the ultimatum that she couldn't do both and had to pick one or the other so she picked Matrix 4 since she had already done Marvel work

Since clearly there will be some sort of Shang-Chi sequel - I am curious to see if this is revisited or if they (Marvel) hold a grudge.

The character I think she most likely would have been up for would have been the sister so I'm not really sure they would even bother to look at Henwick for the sequel.

18 hours ago, tbarrie said:

You think? My impression of Disney is that they're too thoroughly mercenary to hold a grudge. If they think the movie will make more money with her, I'm sure that's all that matters.

Any grudge will be short lived due to money.

2 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I’m not sure which thread this should go in but AAAAAAAAH

Hyped and it's 03:03am Sunday. I love Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018). The best Spider-Man movie by far and one of the best comic book movies ever. In the Best Films of the 2010s we ran here, it was my #1 movie and I was joined by @JLSigman xxx. The animation of Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, Part One (2022) looks great, the funny interactions between Gwen/Miles and both are wearing new suits. Interesting that it's Part One.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

lhScRwwp?format=jpg&name=small

FFzlO4IVIAINrUh?format=jpg&name=900x900

New Spidey suits for Miles Morales and Gwen Stacy in Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - Part One (2022). Glad Gwen's has minor changes. It's a classic costume ever since she debuted in Edge of Spider-Verse #2 (2014). I'm fortunate to own two first printings. Like Miles new costume but prefer the one from Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018).

FFzk1lnWYAIOIS1?format=jpg&name=900x900

Miguel O'Hara's looks different to Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

Edited by The Natural

19 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Have to ask: Do any of you with kids that watch the comic movies also read comics? The kids, not the parents. 

So the 9 year old has read...

• Spider-Girl (most of the DeFalco run) since an old friend sent me his digests.
  • Champions V1-V2
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur
  • Nova (Sam Alexander's first run)
  • Ms Marvel (Kamala) v1
  • A chunk of Miles Morales Spider-Man
  • Maybe some Spider-Gwen/Ironheart/Wasp (Nadia)
  • And probably something else I'm forgetting. Some Power Pack & ... digests certainly.

She won't really read 80s stuff because of all of the text boxes (not the best on a computer anyway). She's not super interested in the black and white essentials I have. And I'm not super interested in having her read those anyway, since it's not the best for female characters.

So basically, she's ready for Ms. Marvel and Ironheart and to watch the Moon Girl cartoon with her younger sister and if they do anything with Sam.

It made more sense for her to read stuff (generally on a computer) when she was off for summer than it does now.

But she doesn't follow things on a monthly basis certainly and it's all heavily curated by me.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Please and thank you. The Spectacular Spider-Man was as described.

I don't know. I loved Spectacular, but part of what I loved about it was that it was so true to the spirit of the original comics. Meaning that version of Peter Parker wasn't interestingly different enough from other takes to have a clear role in Spider-Verse.

I guess if the plot calls for a Peter still in the early years of his career to show up, using the Spectacular design and voice actor would be pretty awesome. But I wouldn't shoehorn him in just for the sake of using him.

On 12/1/2021 at 12:45 PM, RIPPA said:

Since clearly there will be some sort of Shang-Chi sequel - I am curious to see if this is revisited or if they (Marvel) hold a grudge.

Kevin Feige lurks on the board!

Shang-Chi sequel with Destin Daniel Cretton returning as director was confirmed over the weekend

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Kevin Feige lurks on the board!

Shang-Chi sequel with Destin Daniel Cretton returning as director was confirmed over the weekend

Don't we think she was just up for one of the roles that ended up with someone else? Be it the Awkwafina role or Death Dealer. It's not like Marvel doesn't squander people way bigger than her (like Carrie Coon) on villain henchperson roles.

It's been weird to see Spider-Man 1 and 2 again. Raimi was so corny with his delivery. Army of Darkness' big fight scenes always felt like Three Stooges or Popeye cartoons to me and while that's not necessarily bad, things like the mugger's running commentary to MJ before Spider-Man saves her to set up the kiss is so out there in 2021.

What I found most striking was remembering how everyone felt when the heard the "Spider-Man, Spider-Man, Does Whatever a Spider can" moment in Spider-Man 2. Right now it seems like a fun little injoke that fit the moment and was harmless, but back then, it was this huge bone thrown. "Did they really put that in the movie?" Like how they used Curt Conners or Betty Brant. There was such a sense of inadequacy if you were a fan of this stuff. They were making a mainstream movie and you were just lucky to have a seat. Maybe if you kept your head down, no one would kick you out of the theater for being a geek that cared about this stuff and no one had to tell you to be happy for the few little in-references. You'd be overjoyed!

There are fucking Eternals figures on the stands in 2021 (I doubt anyone's buying them, but...). It's such a different world.

• Like 4

It is a different world. I think as a result of that, I'm kind of charmed by the idiosyncrasies of some of the older Marvel movies that didn't require the sort of connective tissue to fit into the bigger thing the studio was building. Say what you will of Ang Lee's Hulk (bad movie), but it's fascinating watching stuff like that which nobody would be allowed to get away with today with one of these Marvel tentpoles. 

Hope there's a scene in Multiverse of Madness where Strange decides to quit Doctoring and we get a carefree Butch and Sundance style montage. 

Feige is apparently going all in that the Fox movies exist in the multiverse, which is fine. I think it would be a mistake to lean too hard into that though. I've said it before but the idea of the multiverse being that anything is possible and everything counts and anything could happen... it sort of makes what does happen mean less. Leaning too hard on the Fox X-Men movies, for instance, would be lazy and could fill some short term goals, but it'd ultimately blur lines and confuse things and stunt the long term growth of the potential storytelling.

• Like 1

So the rumor mill today has spit out that Corey Stoll is actually playing MODOK in Ant-Man 3. Not sure if that means he’s double dipping MCU roles and will just do the voice or something, or if they’re making Yellowjacket/Cross into MODOK.

But, yeah.

I kinda wish Bill Murray was playing MODOK. That’d be real interesting ?

Edited by Casey