DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies - 2021

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

It's an odd thing to do if, like I'd imagine the movie will play out, they do it after a fight where he's come close to killing them on multiple occasions.  Octavius is a dangerous, brilliant psychopath.  So while Spidey might be able to get away with it, the other two teenage dorks are really likely to get killed now, specifically because... once again, they've been massive dicks. 

Peter's entire battle/fight or flight MO is making fun of people! MJ's all about the dry sense of humor cutting things down in the MCU. I'll give you Ned, maybe.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I haven't read comics since I was a kid...does Marvel have very many alter egos that get into Edward Nygma DC cheesiness territory anyway?

The Vanisher, everyone thought his power was invisibility, because he'd be right there in front of you, and suddenly he'd just vanish. Only as it turns out, his shoot name was Telford Porter. 

It did that thing where you think it hasn't posted because the reply is on a different page of the thread than the one you quoted from.

So, Spider-Man, that looks like their might be an awful lot of plot, to cram into the runtime of one movie.

Edited by AxB
  • Haha 1

On 11/19/2021 at 9:39 AM, Matt D said:

Peter's entire battle/fight or flight MO is making fun of people! 

Totally true.  Pete talks shit to people during a fight because angry people make mistakes in the heat of battle.

DC totally rips of Spider-Man when Terry riffs on the Joker in the BBEG fight in Batman Beyond:  Return of the Joker.

There is nothing terribly silly about Otto Octavius's name.  We think it is silly because Peter makes fun of him when they are in the middle of a brawl.  Peter can afford to talk shit because he's a superhero.  Anyone else will probably end up like the medical team that tried to remove Octavius's exoskeleton in Raimi's second Spider-Man movie.

Raimi had a way of making you respect Spidey's rogues gallery.  Even the sillier members of the roster.

I still remember the audience's reaction when we all saw Raimi's Green Goblin for the first time.  We all pointed and mocked and said dumb shit like he looks like a Power Ranger had a baby with a Gargoyle.  

And then the Goblin laughed that creepy Wilem DaFoe cackle, threw a grenade, and disintegrated a bunch of people and we all realized that despite the stupid looking combat suit, Norman Osborn was not fucking around.  Shit got real serious in the audience around that time.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

There is nothing terribly silly about Otto Octavius's name.  We think it is silly because Peter makes fun of him when they are in the middle of a brawl.  Peter can afford to talk shit because he's a superhero.  Anyone else will probably end up like the medical team that tried to remove Octavius's exoskeleton in Raimi's second Spider-Man movie.

Guy named Octavius has extra arms.

I don't know, man.

I'd probably make fun of Bobby Fish's name if I was in a conversation with him. And he could NOAH me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’d chalk up the Octavius thing to nominative determinism. Of course, a guy named that would be interested in Octopi. 

just like Edward Nygma is going to be obsessed with puzzles and Victor Fries is going to obsessed with the cold. ?

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Guy named Octavius has extra arms.

I don't know, man.

When Doc Ock's arms went apeshit in that ER in Spidey 2, I'm sure the last thing on the minds of the medical staff were "This guy sure does have a funny name!"

Doc Ock was a character created in a time when comics were for kids.   I don't begrudge them the silly name now that we're all grown up and looking at things out of context.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 6:18 PM, Craig H said:

I still think the best route to go with the X-Men is a series with a movie every now and then. 

I think we’ll get a fair share of X-Men related shows, especially since they seem to be using the shows to flesh out/introduce lesser known characters.

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

When Doc Ock's arms went apeshit in that ER in Spidey 2, I'm sure the last thing on the minds of the medical staff were "This guy sure does have a funny name!"

Doc Ock was a character created in a time when comics were for kids.   I don't begrudge them the silly name now that we're all grown up and looking at things out of context.

And in that moment in the trailer, his arms aren’t going apeshit. In the other situation, I agree with you. Of course it’s situational. You don’t do it for the sake of doing it. 

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

And in that moment in the trailer, his arms aren’t going apeshit.

Just pointing out that making fun of his name is kinda dumb.  Octavius is a brilliant scientist, criminal mastermind, and all around dangerous human being.  Put some respect on his name.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

It’s probably too much to hope for a surprise Liv Octavius cameo.

As long as Kathryn Hahn plays her and I don't give a shit if she's already Agatha.

Give me Kathryn Hahn in everything! 

• Like 8

I like the Marvels outfit better, but to be perfectly honest - I’m less excited about her show and involvement in the MCU now that they’ve completely changed her origin, powers and even some of the villains in the first season of the show. It’s basically only Kamala/Ms. Marvel in name only now. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Casey said:

I like the Marvels outfit better, but to be perfectly honest - I’m less excited about her show and involvement in the MCU now that they’ve completely changed her origin, powers and even some of the villains in the first season of the show. It’s basically only Kamala/Ms. Marvel in name only now. 

Originally I didn't mind the change since the "uncanny valley" argument made sense, but then I saw that "The Boys" was able to convincingly pull off a stretchy supe and yeah, if that show can do it, The Mouse sure as hell should be able to...

8c8f75a5af1ae6abb5f2fb289b7340e2.jpg

R.d2b7ac2b3343a9545a904e996c5c4d86?rik=v

A shame Marvel Studios didn't stick with this Spider-Man suit worn while making Captain America: Civil War. It's the best of the MCU Spider-Man suits, seeing the webbing on the suit looks better than the barely there web pattern on the others. My second favourite is the Stark Suit.

Jessica Henwick revealed that she was offered the opportunity to return to the MCU in Shang-Chi (it is unclear if it was for her Colleen Wing role or something else) but due to Matrix 4 she couldn't do it.

She said that both movie studios (Marvel and WB) gave her the ultimatum that she couldn't do both and had to pick one or the other so she picked Matrix 4 since she had already done Marvel work

Since clearly there will be some sort of Shang-Chi sequel - I am curious to see if this is revisited or if they (Marvel) hold a grudge.

Marvel's parent company is Disney.  Of course they will hold a grudge.

They will also most likely cave in to pressure to hire her if there is enough public outrage.  James Gunn got a second chance.

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

Marvel's parent company is Disney.  Of course they will hold a grudge.

You think? My impression of Disney is that they're too thoroughly mercenary to hold a grudge. If they think the movie will make more money with her, I'm sure that's all that matters.