DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies - 2021

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Considering I saw at least 3 stories with it as their headline and not even teasing it as click bait, is it a spoiler? I thought they announced it on the red carpet or something. I never heard anyone say he was in the actual movie. 

I added a spoiler box for what I didnt think was one. 

Your comment lead me to google it and the first thing that came up was that

Spoiler

it's a reveal in a post credits scene.

I would consider that a spoiler since every other post credits scene talk gets put in spoiler tags, but if you weren't aware of that bit then whatever, not much you can do about it if you didn't see that part.

18 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

It makes me sick that reporters who attended Eternals premiere are posting open unsolicited spoilers on Twitter. And they are likely doing it without consequence. 

I presume there is likely a difference involving embargos and NDAs between reporters who attend the screening and reporters just covering the red carpet. 

i mean, if something happens on the red carpet, generally speaking, not just whatever happened tonight, does it qualify as “news” and not just movie publicity? 

another instance of me being happy to be a non-practicing journalist. ?

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I presume there is likely a difference involving embargos and NDAs between reporters who attend the screening and reporters just covering the red carpet. 

i mean, if something happens on the red carpet, generally speaking, not just whatever happened tonight, does it qualify as “news” and not just movie publicity? 

another instance of me being happy to be a non-practicing journalist. ?

No. These reporters saw the movie and were not just at the red carpet or there to cover the red carpet. I know this from colleagues who were there personally. Secondly, there's a difference between social reaction embargoes and review embargoes. I've gotten both. I've also been told specifically not to mention details the type of details that have been blatantly tweeted about. 

Also, social embargo usually just pertains to your basic thoughts feelings reactions to the movie. Not f'n blatant spoilers.

Edited by TheVileOne

14 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

It makes me sick that reporters who attended Eternals premiere are posting open unsolicited spoilers on Twitter. And they are likely doing it without consequence. 

This is why we ignore Twitter until after we've seen the movie.  I am actively avoiding spoilers like the plague and it is easy because I know where the spoilers are.

As much as Joss Whedon fucking sucks... he apparently wanted to cast Zooey Deschanel as The Wasp in the first Avengers team-up movie and now I'm mad that didn't happen. Mainly because I love Zooey (and her band is fucking awesome, too).

Sounds like that history of Marvel Studios book is pretty interesting. Feige had plans for Ghost Rider and Daredevil early on, but... guess who put a stop to that.

Early days but Eternals (2021) is currently 71% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes making it the 3rd lowest MCU movie followed by The Incredible Hulk (2008) 67% and Thor: The Dark World (2013) on 66%. No Marvel Studios has never had a rotten rating.

Eh.  I will reserve judgment for myself.  I figured that Eternals would probably be a very busy and convoluted movie, but some of those things can't be avoided when working with an ensemble.

I imagine that some critics may feel that the movie is a bit overlong, but there aren't too many Marvel movies that don't push the 2 1/2 or 3 hour mark these days.

• Like 2

It's only 44 reviews so far so I wouldn't read too much into it

I mean of the 8 reviews that are rotten - a lot of them are right in the middle and it is that weird line where a 3 out of 5 (from the BBC) is considered rotten

(And that's not even factoring in the reviews that clearly have an axe to grind like the Forbes reviewer who clearly hates reviewing "Comic Book" movies)

EDIT - for context, the guy from Digital Spy gave it a 3 out of 5 also and it is considered Fresh so again - I am not sure how RT makes that call (is there an algorithm or does the reviewer make the final call?)

I think the rule of thumb is if it's in that middle tier  (2.5 or 3/5, or B- --> C+, or 6/10) or like the New York Times does (or the Village Voice (RIP) used to) no grade is assigned, they'll ask the reviewer themselves to see which side it should go on.   

And if not, they just read the review and answer themselves, as you can generally tell if they like it or not.  

The critical review I saw said it was like watching Infinity War, if you'd never seen a Marvel movie before. As if it expected you to like people, without having the time to show you what was likeable about them.

13 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Confirmed he's in it or confirmed who he will play? 

Just that he’s in it, and that it’s a one and done thing (supposedly). He said he’s now had the experience of doing a Marvel movie and he doesn’t want to do it again - wasn’t negative about it or anything, just not something he’d want to consistently do.

On 10/26/2021 at 11:44 PM, Casey said:

Bill Murray just confirmed his role in the new Ant-Man movie.

He enjoyed Peyton Reed’s Bring It On movie ??

Oh, @Brian Fowler ?

13 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I knew he was a man of taste and discretion.

I'm in the like Bring it On (2000) camp as well.

Edited by The Natural