DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies - 2021

Really interesting Multiverse of Madness leaks in the past day or so. Major spoilers?

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pre-VFX leaks of Wanda, covered in blood, fighting Professor X. Zombie Hunter Spidey versus Dr. Strange. And there's an Illuminati is in this movie apparently, made up of different Marvel characters across the Multiverse.

On 9/13/2021 at 5:38 PM, odessasteps said:

I know at least 3 people who have asked me why Shang Chi isn't on D+ now and/or when will it be, since they don't want to go to the movies yet. 

Disney announced a couple of days ago Shang Chi will be available on Disney+ on Nov 12th to celebrate 2 years of Disney+. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm a little wary of them leaning so hard into time travel and the multiverse in this phase. There are definite benefits like having multiple actors play the same role if need be, but it really dilutes the reality they're creating. Too much time travel and nothing feels like it matters because it can just be undone. Likewise alternate realities. If anything is possible then the consistency/rules that help people suspend their disbelief and become immersed in the fictional world become shakier.

• Like 1

It just continues the overuse of multiverse the last few years. 

I was discussing it the other day and I think one reason it's become so prevalent is that it allows creators to do new stories with old characters without introducing new characters and giving away IP to DC and Marvel. 

• Like 1

It’s the same reason multiverse stuff became popular in comics in the first place; they ran out of in-universe ideas and they wanted to clean up continuity problems. I think it’s also an easy way to validate multiple generations of fan bases by making every iteration of characters part of contemporary canon. 

They may not actually go this route, but introducing the multiverse seems like an easy way to introduce a whole slate of new characters you’ve just gotten access to, so it’s less “we’ve run out of ideas” and more “let’s introduce something cool to have an in-universe explanation as to why mutants and the Fantastic Four haven’t been around yet.”  They could definitely overdo it, but they’ve just now introduced it. I wouldn’t be surprised if they kept things focused on the main MCU after Phase 4, and any multiverse related shenanigans are kept in What If! or something like an Exiles series.

In comics, my problem with all of the multiverse stuff is that it keeps fucking happening. Oh my god! The multiverse is crazy! Let's do this huge story arc to fix it! Then they do that and within a year or two they create the same problem again and then they need to reset all of their shit all over again. It's part of the reason I stopped buying comics and even checking out TPBs from the library because what's the point? 

I would prefer the movies not do this so it will be interesting the see just how far they go and how Kevin Feige threads this needle.

• Like 1

Sam Raimi on Spider-Man 3 (2007) and directing Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022):

"I didn't know that I could face it again because it was so awful, having been the director of Spider-Man 3. The Internet was getting revved up and people disliked that movie and they sure let me know about it. So, it was difficult to take back on. But then, I found out that there was an opening on Doctor Strange 2. My agent called me and said, 'They're looking for a director at Marvel for this movie and your name came up. Would you be interested?' And I thought, 'I wonder if I could still do it.' They're really demanding, those types of pictures. And I felt, 'Well, that's reason enough.' I've always really liked the character of Doctor Strange. He was not my favorite, but he was right up there with the favorites. I loved the first movie, I thought [director] Scott Derrickson did a wonderful job, an incredible job. So, I said, 'Yeah.' They left the character in a great place. I didn't think I would be doing another superhero movie. it just happened."

Edited by The Natural

As long as they let Sam do what he wants to do, the Dr. Strange movie will be perfectly fine.  Sam hated working on Spidey 3 because he didn't want to use Venom as a character but the studio countermanded him and shit went downhill from there.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Casey said:

Deadline implies it’s around $40m and she won’t get it all in one lump sum payment.

Jesus, did personal injury lawyers settle this fucking thing?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

Jesus, did personal injury lawyers settle this fucking thing?

Keep in mind she wanted more than 50 million with the general idea that she somehow would have gotten a 100 had Disney not done the same day D+ release. I'm guessing they settled mostly because they already lost the PR campaign and it was potentially hurting their deals with others. I for one don't want Feige constantly pissed or to rule the Russo Brothers out as directors when their last 3 movies got me more than a billion each.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

As long as they let Sam do what he wants to do, the Dr. Strange movie will be perfectly fine.  Sam hated working on Spidey 3 because he didn't want to use Venom as a character but the studio countermanded him and shit went downhill from there.

I forget where it was now, but there's either a good article or video from Sam talking about how he basically sabotaged the whole thing because of the studio forcing a bunch of shit on him, like Venom, and how he felt bad about it years later.

• Like 1

I rewatched Loki over the past few days and it dawned on me that by the end of the series the dude is totally 1995 Ric Flair. Like, he's this classic villain that turned babyface without ever officially turning babyface in a "you love to hate him" kind of way, but you know damn well that when the chips are down and Thor is looking for the hot tag near the end of Phase 4, Loki is going to chop block the shit out of him at Fall Brawl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 10/1/2021 at 12:18 PM, Craig H said:

I forget where it was now, but there's either a good article or video from Sam talking about how he basically sabotaged the whole thing because of the studio forcing a bunch of shit on him, like Venom, and how he felt bad about it years later.

I don't think it was intentional sabotage at all. I think he tried to make it work and compromise with the studio and Avi Arad, but it didn't work out. You can tell watching the movie his heart is not in the Venom/Symbiote storyline and it kind of messes with the whole movie.

They should've just let Raimi finish his trilogy and then let someone else tackle Venom/Spider-Man.