DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies - 2021

Hmm.  So they clearly saw the negative reaction to the first one as being too 'funny' and went in the opposite direction.  

I'm still not sure, but it's better than the other trailer. 

18 hours ago, Casey said:

Gerard Butler filed suit the day after Scarlet over the box office income he was supposed to get from Olympus Has Fallen.

Some more details:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/gerard-butler-sues-olympus-has-fallen-1234990987/

Apparently the producers are doing all kinds of shady nonsense with their books.

And the comments on the Butler, ScarJo, Stone, and Blunt stories are almost all the same - people ripping the actors for being "greedy".  As opposed to the company...

• Like 3

Hollywood accounting!

It's really a game of paperwork. Each movie is set up like a corporation that's designed to lose money. Within the corporation are shell companies, those existing in name only, that are designed to siphon all of the profits from the movie and funnel them back to the studio. These shell companies handle things like advertising, marketing and distribution. They can even be set up to cover more general expenses for accountants, managers, travel and entertainment for studio heads, and so on.

Some of the fees that studios pay themselves through these shell companies might be legitimate, but they can also be outrageous. A distribution fee of 30 to 35 percent of every penny a movie makes goes directly to the studio. The studio charges the film exorbitant amounts for advertising and publicity in addition to financing and interest through shell companies. Every perk that comes with the job of working at a studio, it seems, is paid for by some movie or television show. Executives are said to charge the bulk of their expenses to whichever movie is grossing the most.

Weirdly enough, and I'm sure it's been going on since forever, but as of late people like Charles Murphy have been finding out the names of Marvel's newest production studios for upcoming movies. It's not really super interesting but I enjoy some of the names.

BAD EGG PRODUCTIONS LLC 

ON YOUR MARK PRODUCTIONS LLC

BATTLE ANYONE PRODUCTIONS LLC 

ACID POP PRODUCTIONS LLC

NATURAL HISTORY PRODUCTIONS LLC 

BLUEBERRY WAFFLES PRODUCTIONS LLC

STANDOFFISH PRODUCTIONS LLC

CHANGEUP PRODUCTIONS LLC

LOG JAM PRODUCTIONS LLC

FREQUENT PRODUCTIONS LLC

GRASS-FED PRODUCTIONS LLC

SOLVE EVERYTHING PRODUCTIONS LLC

(Controversial opinion maybe, but I also don't care about a rich company fucking over rich people. Sorry?)

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Casey said:

(Controversial opinion maybe, but I also don't care about a rich company fucking over rich people. Sorry?)

But it's not just rich people Disney have been fucking over. The writers they fucked over are definitely not rich. They basically got away with that, so they moved to bigger targets.

• Like 4

First on set look at Gorr the God Butcher played by Christian Bale:

IY1QM_n6?format=jpg&name=small

E76trvuXMAYHc2k?format=jpg&name=small

He was pictured emerging on set in full costume - a menacing silver ensemble that included a full face prosthetic

His supervillain ensemble includes a flowing hooded sleeveless robes that could be seen fluttering in the breeze as Christian crossed the set.

Details: The Batman Begins star was covered in prosthetics that gave him deep grey skin on not just his face but also his exposed arms and hands.

Christian Bale really said “I don’t need motion capture, I’ll become Gorr the God Butcher!” Getting Bale is a hell of a catch for Marvel Studios.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

On 8/3/2021 at 8:43 AM, JLSigman said:

But it's not just rich people Disney have been fucking over. The writers they fucked over are definitely not rich. They basically got away with that, so they moved to bigger targets.

How would the writers get fucked over when they're paid well ahead of the movie coming out?

I thought it was common knowledge how bad Disney fucked over all the EU, I mean Legends people when they let JJ throw everything out to play live action toybox and fuck everything up so bad Filoni needs to clean it all up.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

The writers of the books whose royalties Disney quit paying when they bought Fox, despite continuing to keep those books in print is what JL is talking about.

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

I thought it was common knowledge how bad Disney fucked over all the EU, I mean Legends people when they let JJ throw everything out to play live action toybox and fuck everything up so bad Filoni needs to clean it all up.

By writers, I thought JL was referring to people writing scripts for the movies and TV series. 

7 hours ago, Raziel said:

I have difficulty seeing that as fucking anyone over, as I can't imagine anybody seriously thought for one second that the "expanded universe" stuff would mean anything when the time came to make sequel movies.

That "rights but not obligations" bullcrap is purely out of the "Who cares what the law is, you can't afford a legal battle with Disney" theory of jurisprudence, though.

My bringing up fucking over the EU was less about the EU being used and more Disney pulling the "Yeah, not paying you guys anymore" shit on those writers specifically.   Legends stuff is still being sold, yet Disney ain't sending royalty checks to the people that wrote it.

Course, if we go to the subject, the EU was better than the shit we actually got on film.

• Like 1