DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies - 2021

Shang-Chi will be the first test of if people go to these movies more because it's a Marvel Studios movie, or based on the character. Guardians would fall into that, but the MCU has absolutely blown up in popularity since that first movie came out, and I'm more inclined to believe these days that people go because it's a Marvel movie. I really honestly think if they did all the usual big budget marketing and shit for, I don't know, a Squirrel Girl movie, it'd still do well, because it's fucking Marvel.

Pre-Guardians, I think people went and saw these movies because they had some idea who the characters were (and the cast, too) - but post-Guardians, and especially post-Endgame... the movies sell themselves based off the studio, which I think is a rare thing.

Of course I could easily eat my words if even Black Widow bombs, but especially Shang-Chi, but I don't think either will. It won't be hard to top F9 or A Quiet Place in a COVID era theater going world, where these movies aren't raking in just GOBS of money on opening weekend.

Anecdotally, I'm pretty casual on the comics and I know nothing about Shang-Chi. First for me in the MCU outside the Guardians flicks. This feels like the studio knows it can get funky immediately post-Endgame and ride that goodwill and figure out what the basement on these movies is right now while they have obvious rebound plays on the horizons. If this and Eternals hit, fabulous. If they don't? Nobody will care.

Even measured up against Ant-Man post-Ultron, Shang-Chi feels like a wild play. Marvel going leading man with the fifth lead in the Canadian sitcom that isn't the one everyone's flocked to in recent years? Crazy choice. I'm excited to see what the box office on this one tells us. 

I know a lot of people talk about how some had previously predicted Guardians would be the one that finally belly-flops, but the marketing was much more exciting on that one. Shang-Chi and Eternals are going to sink or swim on completely different dynamics. 

Black Widow/Shang-Chi back-to-back is probably the least excited I've been about Marvel in a while, but that's fine. This is a good period to take some risks. 

Presumably, given the general quality of the TV shows so far this year, that also earns them some credibility with your average fan. I think Shang Chi should be an easy sell (it's our version of a Kung Fu movie) even with a non A List star. I think Eternals is a harder sell, give the density of the source material (be it Kirby or Gaiman). 

It will also be interesting to see how Shang-Chi and Eternals perform relative to one another. As hard a sell as Eternals looks, I like me a movie with a deep bench. A poster that says "with Kit Harrington with Salma Hayek and Angelina Jolie" is hitting me in my "the MCU is nuts" sweet spot. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati

I know fuck all when it comes to Shang-Chi and the Eternals. First time I can say that going into any Marvel Studios MCU movie. Read one or two appearences in a book I was reading, The Amazing Spider-Man and New Warriors. That's it.

Edited by The Natural

7 hours ago, Casey said:

Of course I could easily eat my words if even Black Widow bombs, but especially Shang-Chi, but I don't think either will. It won't be hard to top F9 or A Quiet Place in a COVID era theater going world, where these movies aren't raking in just GOBS of money on opening weekend.

I don't think Widow will bomb simply because it's the first big Marvel movie post pandemic.  I could be wrong but I don't think I will be unless the reviews are horrible and derail the box office.

• Like 1

I don't think Black Widow will bomb because of the Marvel Studios and Marvel Cinematic Universe track record. Black Widow isn't helped by:

• The delay due to the coronavirus global pandemic.
  • It's a prequel.
  • Reluctance some will have to see it in cinemas.
  • We should have had a Black Widow solo movie years ago. If I had my way, Black Widow be a trilogy.

Be interesting to see what Marvel Studios will have done with Avengers: Endgame (2019) if that was scheduled to come out last year. People would want to see how the cliffhanger Avengers: Infinity War left on would be undone and how Avengers: Infinity War was the culmination of the whole Infinity War Saga. I'm guessing it would get the Black Widow treatment, delayed from 2020 to be released in 2021.

E5baiVpXMAEk3Kk?format=jpg&name=medium

Collage of all Captain America suits in Marvel Studios Marvel Cinematic Universe. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011), the Super-Soldier suit from Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) and Avengers: Endgame (2019) are my three favourites. No wonder every Captain America suit after used the Super-Soldier suit as the template.

Honourable mention to Captain America: Civil War (2016) and Avengers: Infinity War (2018). The latter is a worn down version of the former while the latter has beard Cap. I do miss the white arm bands from the Russo Brothers traditional Captain America suits. Worst is The Avengers (2012). Damn Joss Whedon and Phil Coulson's influence. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) is too busy.

I am trying something since it seems to be working for the TV shows

This thread remains for general Marvel movie discussion or for non-spoilery things like....

I still haven't decided if I am going to go to the theater to see BW or if I pay the Disney+ extra charge

On 7/2/2021 at 11:23 PM, odessasteps said:

Throwing this discussion out here that Matt and I were having:

How obscure a character would you say Shang Chi is to the layman?

Been in video games, but not any cartoons as of yet. In addition to MOTK,  appearances in modern times in Avengers, Atlas and other books. 

I'd say very obscure.  Anecdotally, I read comics as a kid and I still have no idea who he is.  Also, my it seems like my local Target couldn't give Shang Chi toys away.  They're just sitting untouched in both the toy section and the overflow aisle.

Shang-Chi was not terribly obscure in the '70s but once Marvel lost the licenses to use Fu Manchu and the associate characters, the character slipped through the cracks. 

Things got even weirder when Marvel began to incorporate all of original characters they developed for stand alone series developed from other licenses.  Suddenly Shang-Chi, Hannibal King, and Blade were suddenly part of the greater MCU and before you know it, Blade is fighting with Morbius the Living Vampire on top of a church.

Edited by J.T.

Disney± Black Widow makeover:

E5y3HS2WUAw9-B5?format=jpg&name=large

Posting this here as I don't want to go in the Black Widow spoiler thread until I've seen it. Not sure if it's the cinema, pay the Premium Access or just wait till it comes with the subscription. I think Black Widow should have come out last year on Disney+ instead of delaying it repeatedly till now. It's taken so long to get a Black Widow solo film when she should be on two to three. Disappointing that.

Edited by The Natural

Speaking of popcorn, I’m really excited to see Black Widow tomorrow on my couch, with my wife, eating my own popcorn with actual butter and not having to worry about switching off with the older kids to see it or who’ll watch the three year old. So much better an experience. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

Speaking of popcorn, I’m really excited to see Black Widow tomorrow on my couch, with my wife, eating my own popcorn with actual butter and not having to worry about switching off with the older kids to see it or who’ll watch the three year old. So much better an experience. 

Enjoy bud!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Matt D said:

Same here!  We have our movie theater boxes of candy from Dollar Tree and tonight we are picking up three bags of Mikesells Puffcorn Delights before we grab our pizza, breadsticks, and cheese curds.  May watch the movie twice tonight, even.  I kind of wish they'd release Shang-Chi on Disney+ also, but I guess we'll make the trip to theater for that one in September.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, gatling said:

Same here!  We have our movie theater boxes of candy from Dollar Tree and tonight we are picking up three bags of Mikesells Puffcorn Delights before we grab our pizza, breadsticks, and cheese curds.  May watch the movie twice tonight, even.  I kind of wish they'd release Shang-Chi on Disney+ also, but I guess we'll make the trip to theater for that one in September.

Enjoy my friends xxx.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 11:02 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

Yes, a happy “Florence Pugh is now a movie star” day to you all. 

She was aces in Midsommar and carried Fighting With My Family on her back.  I knew she'd be big some day.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2