DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies - 2021

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

To put Mark's question in context...

I honestly don't remember if Keanu's ever played a villain.  

Killer in The Watcher, also the Big Bad in "Man of Tai Chi".  He does bad guy pretty decent.

Watching AoU last weekend, and I enjoyed the running gag about Steve and language. That it spreads like wildfire and has everyone teasing Steve almost every half hour or so had me in stitches.

Lots of appreciation for Spader too, his voice has this menace to it, like you almost believe that Spader took the script seriously and wants to kill everyone else on the planet ? 

Also when watching the 1st Avengers, I forgot that Rogers fights Loki 1 on 1. I remember it for being a Thor slugfest against Cap/Stark/Hulk but I legit forgot that Cap had the throw down and was blown away seeing it again for the first time in years.

Rando thoughts.

• Like 1

Definitely came to admire it so much more on the rewatch. It really sets the stage for Endgame and Stark at one point literally says the word endgame when talking about designing the Iron Legion to take over so that everyone could go home and retire

There's the divide between Cap and Stark over an AI army that ties in with the Winter Soldier arc about Shield and their secret project but also plants seeds for Civil War.

Theres Wanda reading Visions mind(?) and almost feeling drawn to him off the bat setting all that in motion, plus Vision lifting Mjolnir setting up Cap picking it up too later on. Hulks rampage further establishes the dangers of vigilantes running around unchecked feeding into the Sokovian Accords from Civil War. 

It further established vibranium, introduced Klaw, i mean AoU plants so many seeds and adds nuances to the characters. 

Tldr a sleeper hit that should get another look and deeper appreciated imo.

• Like 4

A line that often gets overlooked in Age of Ultron when talking about foreshadowing for events to come down the line:

"When the Earth starts to settle, God throws a stone at it. And believe me, He's winding up."

Plus, without Wanda fucking with everyone's heads on Klaue's ship, who knows when (or if) Thor ever learns about all of the Infinity Stones. This movie also showed that their are major cracks in trust between the Avengers, which ultimately comes to a head in Civil War obviously. Lagos might have been what caused the world's governments to finally do something about how reckless they seemingly are, but Sokovia was the real game changer (and which opened the door for Baron Zemo's introduction into the MCU in Civil War, and now Falcon & Winter Soldier). An entire city was ripped out of the ground and was almost an extinction level event for fucks sake.

Yeah, needless to say, I love Age of Ultron and will defend it at all costs.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 3

Funnily - since Age of Ultron came up - in my random recommendations on Youtube - the Cap vs. Ultron fight scene came up

Why do the effects look... off?

Like this was the next video that played from Civil War (only a year later). (And I know Winter Soldier which is before Ultron looks better than at least that scene)

Granted it isn't an outdoor car chase but everything looks good here.

I haven't watched Age of Ultron fully in forever but I was like "Was the whole movie like this?". It isn't a criticism per se since as I said - the rest of the movie might be fine I just have no memory. Just that this scene looks really janky - to me

Count me in for digging AoU more than Avengers. After re-watching Avengers with my daughter not that long ago, I felt like it almost sucked. It was very cool at the time to show that you could get all of these big names and characters together, but so many other movies have done it better since and Avengers is also a little all over the place plot wise.

AoU is good shit even if the big final fight is against a bunch of drones that we've seen in Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, etc.

6 hours ago, Zimbra said:

My strongest AoU opinion is that Cap could have picked up the hammer but chose not to so he wouldn't steal Thor's thunder at the party.

I always interpreted that as Cap couldn't in the moment because it was just to show off, which would have been a base use of it. Maybe Thor would have been unworthy if he used Mjolnir to crack walnuts. 

But the Russos actually confirmed what you said in an interview somewhere, I'm pretty sure. 

10 hours ago, Contentious C said:

But the Russos actually confirmed what you said in an interview somewhere, I'm pretty sure. 

Indeed 

In an interview with the Happy Sad Confused podcast, the Russo Brothers were asked why Captain America was able to lift Thor’s hammer Mjolnir in Endgame when he seemingly couldn’t in Age of Ultron. The duo replied “In our heads, he was [always] able to wield it.”

“He didn’t know that until that moment in Ultron when he tried to pick it up,” continued the Russos. "But Cap’s sense of character and humility and, out of deference to Thor’s ego, Cap in that moment realizing he can move the hammer, decides not to.”

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/05/07/captain-america-has-always-been-able-to-lift-mjolnir-according-to-the-russos

• Like 1

With the ease in which people like Thor and Vision pick up the hammer, you don't even need the Russos retconning things like that to assume that Cap - after he moved the hammer just a little bit off the table - was always worthy and just faked it at the party.

I think my biggest complaint about Age of Ultron is how they killed Baron von Strucker off-screen.

My favorite part is Ultron giving voice to my general opinion of Captain America at that time:

Captain America... God's righteous man. Pretending you could live without a war. I can't physically throw up in my mouth, but...

Which is probably also a line that's hated by a lot of people, because it gives humor to a character that "shouldn't" have any, or whatever. But the MCU version is influenced by Stark, so it makes sense within the MCU.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

I mean, it's not any worse than Transformers having lips or balls, so whatever.

Tony showed uncharacteristic restraint NOT giving Ultron balls, big moment of growth for him (pun intended)

I wonder if we hear Ultrons voice at all during WandaVision...hm...I've always guessed he could be lurking somewhere in Vision (reanimated or not)

I know these movies are made for mass consumption, but I can't help but think that the haters clearly never read a comic as a kid. Not every issue in a storyline is a banger, and yeah, you may have to experience all the issues if you're gonna enjoy issue 30. With that in mind, even the lesser MCU flicks, to me, are a perfectly fine way to spend a couple hours. Rewatched AoU recently like several here and got very similar feelings. Thr MCU is massive and you have to build the world. Rewatched Iron Man 2 as well, speaking of introducing/setting up characters who will be far more important down the line. Good movie, fine placeholder villains - including one left alive, if incarcerated. If anything, the worst thing about it is that fucking Bill O'reilly and Elon Musk got a cameo and (likely) check.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Zawe Ashton (Velvet Buzzsaw) has been cast as the "main villain" in Captain Marvel 2

Now we just need someone cast as Rogue and I may actually look forward to this one.  Seeing Monica in WandaVision makes me instantly prefer her as being Captain and Rogue would be able to help along that transition.

And who would Zawe be cast as?  Moonstone? 

Just now, Eivion said:

Secret Invasion is it's own series.

I imagine the series and the Captain Marvel sequel are each a side of the same coin, y'know? WandaVision and Spider-Man 3 (maybe Loki) is the road to Multiverse of Madness, so this is another one of those things probably. She-Hulk and Falcon & Winter Soldier seem like they could lead to the Thunderbolts, etc. 

• Like 2