DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies - 2021

I genuinely have no idea what movie or Disney+ show they could put Captain America in at this point. If it’s a role like Downey in Civil War, it’d be a co-starring one.

I keep going back to something like Secret Invasion. Maybe Dr Strange? Everything else that’s been announced doesn’t seem like it would work.

The Russos indicated they'd be interested in Secret Wars. I'm sure the Beyonder could get Steve off the bench for that one. But that'd be so far out that there's no reason to lock Evans into anything right now.

Falcon and Winter Solider has wrapped, right? Aside from multiverse stuff like the Strange and Spidey sequels, you're right that nothing announced really makes sense. 

I really should get around to reading Secret Wars and Secret Invasion and shit like that, but I'm over here just reading all of the Ms. Marvel books (and just started Black Cat).

The more I think about it, unless it's something in the future that's unannounced (which is entirely possible knowing Marvel) - it's gotta be Multiverse Of Madness.

Well Secret Invasion is happening, but in the comics it was Bucky and not Steve, so they don't really need him. (And they're already going ot be doing it without Iron Man).

I could see Secret Invasion climaxing with Steve and Thor doing the run in .

Evans coming back in for the Rogers role doesn't shock me in the slightest. With all the multiverse stuff happening it makes sense that he might come in for a cameo or small part. Hell, I kind of expect him to pop up as Johnny Storm in at least one of the films. I don't think it will be a major part unless they want to do a swerve kind of deal in Secret Invasion. 

• Like 1

The Winter Soldier is trending on twitter. Captain America: The Winter Soldier has a strong claim to be the best film of the 23 Marvel Studios Marvel Cinematic Universe films. It's the best entry in the Captain America Trilogy. Captain America: The Winter Soldier is one of the best comic book movies ever made.

• Like 2

Cap is easily my favorite character in the MCU but I don't like the idea of him coming back. They completed his story arc, as well as Tony's, pretty perfectly in Endgame... but I guess it's a good thing they showed in that very movie a way to de-age somebody, if needed (running time though Scott vs running Scott through time).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

Cap is easily my favorite character in the MCU but I don't like the idea of him coming back. They completed his story arc, as well as Tony's, pretty perfectly in Endgame... but I guess it's a good thing they showed in that very movie a way to de-age somebody, if needed (running time though Scott vs running Scott through time).

Spider-Man will always be THE Marvel character to me. However my #1 MCU character is Captain America thanks to the writing by Christopher Markus/Stephen McFreely, Chris Evans' portrayal and the Russo Brothers, Jo Johnston, Joss Whedon's direction with Kevin Feige overseeing as producer.

• Like 4

The Winter Soldier was trending on Twitter the other day and today it's Infinity War. It's in my top five MCU movies:

5. Iron Man (2008).

4. Avengers: Infinity War (2018).

3. Captain America: Civil War (2016).

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014).

1. Avengers Assemble (2012).

I re-watched Avengers not that long ago with my daughter because she never watched it.

That...that is not a great movie. The pacing is weird, everyone speaks with the same voice, and it's very boring up until the NY battle. Seeing the Avengers team up for the first time is neat and all, but on rewatch it's just not that good.

• Like 2

Honestly - and unpopular opinion incoming here - Avengers 2012 and Civil War (I count it as an Avengers movie) are my least favorites among all 5. I'll defend Age of Ultron until I'm out of breath, I still think it gets a lot of undeserved shit. I think my problem with Avengers & Civil War is that I enjoy parts of the movies, but not the movies as a whole. Whereas Ultron, Infinity War and Endgame... I love the entirety of the movies.

Well, I'm still not a huge fan of MCU Quicksilver, but anyway.

• Like 1

I still really like Civil War a lot. Endgame is such a masterpiece though. I don't know how that isn't 1, 2, or 3 on most lists. It's the fastest 3 hour movie ever, it completely sticks the landing for a 10 year build, it's very fun, there's actual stakes that matter, the visuals are the best I've ever seen in any movie, as good as Thanos was in Infinity War he's even better in Endgame, and it's just a fantastic ending to 10 years and 20 movies worth of stories. It is amazing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I still really like Civil War a lot. Endgame is such a masterpiece though. I don't know how that isn't 1, 2, or 3 on most lists. It's the fastest 3 hour movie ever, it completely sticks the landing for a 10 year build, it's very fun, there's actual stakes that matter, the visuals are the best I've ever seen in any movie, as good as Thanos was in Infinity War he's even better in Endgame, and it's just a fantastic ending to 10 years and 20 movies worth of stories. It is amazing.

I agree with all of this, except I loved Thanos in Infinity War way, way, way more than the past version in Endgame.

My favorite part of Endgame is actually Natasha and Steve talking to each other right before Scott Lang shows up. I thought they both did an incredible job with that scene and conveying the appropriate emotions without overdoing it. And it's only a few minutes long.

Steve: Y'know, I've been telling everybody that they should just move on, and grow. Some do.... but not us.

Natasha: If I move on, who does this?

Steve: Maybe it doesn't need to be done.

Natasha: I used to have nothing. But then I got this. This job. This family. And I was better because of it. And even though they're gone, I'm still trying to be better.

That shit still gives me chills. I mean, sure Scott gave them the idea that inspired everything that followed, but that conversation probably brought back a broken Steve Rogers from the edge of just giving up completely.

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

I agree with all of this, except I loved Thanos in Infinity War way, way, way more than the past version in Endgame.

My favorite part of Endgame is actually Natasha and Steve talking to each other right before Scott Lang shows up. I thought they both did an incredible job with that scene and conveying the appropriate emotions without overdoing it. And it's only a few minutes long.

That shit still gives me chills. I mean, sure Scott gave them the idea that inspired everything that followed, but that conversation probably brought back a broken Steve Rogers from the edge of just giving up completely.

Every time I re-watch Endgame, that scene makes me so sad knowing what's coming for her.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I re-watched Avengers not that long ago with my daughter because she never watched it.

That...that is not a great movie. The pacing is weird, everyone speaks with the same voice, and it's very boring up until the NY battle. Seeing the Avengers team up for the first time is neat and all, but on rewatch it's just not that good.

I think it's only me and @Brian Fowler who still have Avengers Assemble (2012) as it was released in the UK but as The Avengers on Disney+ as the #1 Marvel Studios MCU movie. The friction between what will become the Avengers, seeing Iron Man/Captain America/Thor/The Incredible Hulk in the same movie after solo films and the lengthy Battle of New York. The only other films I'd consider for top spot are Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014), Captain America: Civil War (2016) and Avengers: Infinity War (2018).

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Honestly - and unpopular opinion incoming here - Avengers 2012 and Civil War (I count it as an Avengers movie) are my least favorites among all 5. I'll defend Age of Ultron until I'm out of breath, I still think it gets a lot of undeserved shit. I think my problem with Avengers & Civil War is that I enjoy parts of the movies, but not the movies as a whole. Whereas Ultron, Infinity War and Endgame... I love the entirety of the movies.

Well, I'm still not a huge fan of MCU Quicksilver, but anyway.

I feel you're right counting Captain America: Civil War an Avengers movie as it is in all but name. I'm opposite to you having The Avengers and Captain America: Civil War as my two favourites and loving the entirety of them. We agree on Avengers: Infinity War. One of two things I didn't like in Avengers: Endgame and I really don't like Avengers: Age of Ultron. My top five:

5. Age of Ultron.

4. Endgame.

3. Infinity War.

2. Civil War.

1. The Avengers.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I'll have to disagree on Thanos, he's still great in Endgame but Infinity War's Thanos is much better as the warlord determined to restore balance by mass genocide. The focus is on Thanos. One of the very rare comic book movies when the baddie wins with the Snap/The Decimation. The only other one when the villain is victorious over the hero is 2008's The Dark Knight.

Edited by The Natural