DVDVR Message Board

DC TV - 2021

If you haven't watched already, the 100th episode of Legends was sooooo good. Was really great getting to see the old cast again, and seeing them do more "current" Legends type stuff.   Having Rip and Snart in there still being 100% themselves added a lot of weight to it, and I liked seeing how close the bond was between Rip and Gideon. Just really well done stuff, and I just smiled at the whole damn thing.

• Like 3

Loved the Stargirl S2 finale.

Spoiler

I loved the choice of actor for Bones and knew immediately who he would be once I saw his name in the credits. I was pleased see Bones in full glory. Its good to see them continue to not be afraid to embrace the weird and craziness of comics when it comes to design.

Next season will be fun. Curious to see if any of the villains actually reform.

• Like 1

I thought the finale improved greatly once they got past the All Stone/Lex/Nyxly plotline and devoted the rest of the ep to character moments.  They left Kara in an interesting place, and seeing the S1 cast return was welcome.  It's probably just as well the show ended here because it feels like a really tired superhero trope would be just around the corner.

Spoiler

There's a reason superheroes don't reveal their secret identities to the world.  i wonder how long the writers could resist doing the "supervillain threatens everyone Kara loves" storyline.

Aside from Jon Cryer being predictably great as Lex, the season-long arc didn't do much for me and the All Stone part of the finale did even less.  The bit about the sun was idiotic and seemed to be a thing only to pad out the run time (I never bought that these characters would agree to that plan in the first place).  Kara giving the entire world a rah-rah speech about empowerment was a bit silly and is the sort of bright-eyed optimism that just doesn't work for me in these gloomy times.  Didn't they do a similar bit a few seasons back?  The year they did the xenophobia storyline maybe?   All in all, I thought the writing could have been better, but that's my general impression of the entire show.  

• Like 2

I thought the Supergirl finale was fine enough. It was kinda symbolic of the show as a whole, in the parts I liked helped it rise above some of the more silly parts. I've just always enjoyed the positive, progressive tone of the show.  I can honestly say that over six seasons, I found way more things to like about it than not, and I can live with that.

The end was really sweet and it was great getting a last visit with everyone, even if I thought the season long arc was lame.

I did find it hilarious that Alex was deadass serious about Barry and Iris not being invited to the wedding, even if I wanted one more Barry/Kara duet. Kara and Lena only getting a hug was bullshit lol

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Kara and Lena only getting a hug was bullshit lol

I figured it was the best we were getting. It was far too late in the season with no building for them to do any sort of Kara/Lena romance. I also suspect they wanted to avoid doing another coming out story so late into the series.

On 11/11/2021 at 1:50 PM, Eivion said:

I figured it was the best we were getting. It was far too late in the season with no building for them to do any sort of Kara/Lena romance. I also suspect they wanted to avoid doing another coming out story so late into the series.

Apparently they actually filmed something and cut it?!?

• Like 1

They honestly didn't even have to make a huge deal out of it, but one of the big threads throughout the series was how Kara always felt alone. This would have been way more satisfying than her outing her identity.  They could have done that scene almost exactly the same, as not to overshadow the wedding stuff. It's canon in my head.

33 minutes ago, RandomAct said:

They honestly didn't even have to make a huge deal out of it, but one of the big threads throughout the series was how Kara always felt alone. This would have been way more satisfying than her outing her identity.  They could have done that scene almost exactly the same, as not to overshadow the wedding stuff. It's canon in my head.

Honestly I legit thought the conversations with Lena and Cat were leading towards it for a minute.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Eivion said:

Honestly it kind of makes me realize part of the issue the last few seasons is how serious they keep trying to make it all. It was nice seeing something the lighter side for most of the episode.

One thing that really helped that first season, was how positive and vibrant it was. I'll never understand why they went to the more sadsack broody shit later.

• Like 2

The latest episode of Legends was just fantastic.  And it had the joke that made me laugh harder than anything in the run of the show. Bishop escapes Gideon by running into the bathroom and hitting the red button to eject from the Waverider, and when Sara sees him floating down on the toilet with a parachute she says, " Someone must have pushed the red button."

It's a callback to the season 4 episode " The Getaway" where Mona is in the bathroom and Mick says, "Whatever you do, don't hit the red button." And it's never brought up again until now.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Eivion said:

Armageddon wasn't great, but it was solid and fun, probably the best Flash has been in a while. 

LOl, I only started watching Armageddon after channel-flipping the other night and seeing that it turned into a Reverse Flash story.   I haven't watched Flash since season 4 or maybe the beginning of season 5, and I'm finding the first three parts of Armageddon to be a slog.  I guess I don't want to go back to the seasons I missed?

I didn't realize Carlos Valdes and Tom Cavanagh left the show.  Feels like the show really needs them.  The new cast members seems fairly generic to me, though I do appreciate the writers rescuing Chester P. Runk from comics' obscurity.  i quite enjoyed Mike Baron's Flash way back when.  Wish he was closer to his comic character, though.  "Chuck" is obviously a fill-in for Cisco but he seems fairly generic and we've seen 20-something science whiz kids in the Arrowverse too many times now.  I wasn't a big fan of Cisco's, but Carlos Valdes had great charisma with Grant Gustin and Danielle Panabaker.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

On 12/16/2021 at 9:08 AM, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

LOl, I only started watching Armageddon after channel-flipping the other night and seeing that it turned into a Reverse Flash story.   I haven't watched Flash since season 4 or maybe the beginning of season 5, and I'm finding the first three parts of Armageddon to be a slog.  I guess I don't want to go back to the seasons I missed?

giphy-downsized.gif
200.gif

• Like 2