DVDVR Message Board

DC TV - 2021

21 hours ago, RandomAct said:

You know, if we go back a decade to when Arrow started, there is no way in hell I'd have ever thought we'd get someone like Shade or Eclipso as villains on a live action broadcast TV show.

Its nice to see how far things have come. Really enjoyed how Eclipso has worked out so far. He feels more menacingly than in the few stories I have read with him.

28 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Slate has an article up detailing some of the differences between the Y comic and the Y TV show. 

Most of them are not surprising.

Are any of them horribly egregious? I wonder if I will even notice with it being more than five years since I read Y.

It sounds like they changed some of the politics of Yoricks mother. 

Most of the changes I think make sense being set in "the present". 

Also, i think the best Eclipso story is from the Spectre, where we learn his role in famous Biblical incidents. 

3 episodes into Y. Its decent so far though I'm not sure I'm interested in seeing them dig into modern politics so much. Not fond of the changes they made to the sister. Feels weird and unnecessary to make her a bigger mess than Yorick before the disaster hit.

Wow! Stargirl this week was so freaking great. It never escapes my mind that it's a kid's show, which is what it should be, but what a great kid's show! 
Well, kids and 51 year old JSA/ DC geeks.

The amazing fight scene in the school that ended with The Shade appearing in full James Robinson Top hat and black Lennon glasses had me popping with glee. On the latest episode of my podcast Gideon Guys, where my pal Travis and I review and goof around about Legends Of Tomorrow, we came up with our newest recurring character, Berlantiverse stunt coordinator, Harley Race.

He EARNED the money this ep.

• Like 2

Meanwhile, Supergirl is sadly sputtering out in its final season. A search for totems? That was literally the McGuffin , delicious and only available for a limited time, of Legends season three. As great as Thomas Lennon is as Mr. Myxyzptlk is, woof.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder just how hands on Johns is with the show. Imdb seems to show he has only written around 1/3of the shows so far. 

That is an interesting question. While I imagine he gives a good among of input I doubt he is super hands on since he doesn't have an official position at DC anymore. It is nice to see him and Robinson doing some writing for the show.

11 minutes ago, RandomAct said:

If I have one minor complaint on Stargirl, it's that Eclipso almost feels like too powerful of a villain for this show.

Its amazing to me because this is the first time Eclipso really comes off as threat they push him as usually. They have done such a wonderful job making him so menacing. He is too big for the team as they are, but I'm guessing Jade will come back to make the save. Maybe we get others well. We are supposed to see Jay at some point.

Presumably, Johns is more emptionally invested in Stargirl that he would be in a standard WFH super hero project, so id imagine hes likely as involved as much as he could be. 

Interesting JDR has no real imdb credits since he wrote LXG. (He has 1 story credit on a Batman project inbetween). Wonder how much of that was the bad LXG experience and how much is bad career decisions and comics/movie business politics.

Edited by odessasteps

4 minutes ago, RandomAct said:

It makes sense that Johns would be more invested in this one, since the character is his creation.

Created in honor of his dead sister. (Similar to how Loeb would likely be with Nova) 

likely not as important as some Flash or GL character he created over the years. ?

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

There's a LOT to dissect about Johns that ain't fucking great to say the least. But honoring his dead sister via his art isn't one of those. Even if it's made him money. If I died young I'd love if my sister created a character that is universally loved honoring me that also made her money. 

• Like 4

On 9/18/2021 at 2:28 AM, Johnny Sorrow said:

In other news, Titans continues to be the worst DC Berlanti show I love. The guy who plays Dick Grayson is so perfect it holds together an insane show that makes no fucking sense half the time.

Love the cast of Titans but yes, the show is a mess. Sorta like Batwoman. Doesn't make much sense but I can't stop watching. For me, Starfire is the show's MVP though. 

And yes, Stargirl is such an underrated gem. Last episode was awesome.

Ok, so I might be alone in this, but I thought the most recent episode of Supergirl was mostly really well done???  Usually when a show like this tries to do a message heavy episode, it comes off really hokey and fake. This is one of the few times where I felt like it came off pretty genuine, and didn't need to rework the the motivations of the characters or anything. Didn't Azie Tesfai write this one?

Edited by RandomAct
  • Like 2