DVDVR Message Board

DC TV - 2021

As far as OG Wells is concerned, the car accident probably just happened 5 seconds ago. That is certainly a bold angle for them to take, but it seems to me that the show is just going all in on being really effing weird, so whatever.

"Speed thinking" felt like a borderline jumping the shark moment tbh, so I'm glad it got paid off quickly.

Superman, of course was great again,but they are doing too many "Jordan lashes out and tells his dad he hates him" moments. I feel like there are two in every episode. I'm glad they got the Stargirl special effects budget too. All of the fights and action set pieces have all looked great.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

Re: flash spoilers timeline

Reveal hidden contents

Thawne killed OG Wells like 5-10 years before the particle accelerator explosion, so Wells wouldn't know anyone.

I thought it was something like that, but I wasn’t sure 

Spoiler

how long before the explosion Cisco and Caitlin were working for him.

There’s also the matter of this being a new earth post-Crisis, so who knows what’s what anyway.

17 hours ago, RandomAct said:

"Speed thinking" felt like a borderline jumping the shark moment tbh, so I'm glad it got paid off quickly.

Superman, of course was great again,but they are doing too many "Jordan lashes out and tells his dad he hates him" moments. I feel like there are two in every episode. I'm glad they got the Stargirl special effects budget too. All of the fights and action set pieces have all looked great.

I'm glad they got rid of the "speed thinking" part of Flash but initially took it as some weird effect of the Welle's powering the speed force.  Really could have done without that.

As for Superman I still adore it but recognize that they have a formula for this and for Batwoman as well.  And by that I mean there's a lot of doubt and resistance for what the hero is trying to accomplish with bits of progress along the way.  But while I appreciate Batwoman slowly starting to find her footing there's something about them humanizing Clark who is finally starting to win over his kids.  Which is why they're now having the father-in-law in next week's episode to be part of that formula and I can see that going a couple weeks.

So the tl;dr of it is there's a formula but I still like them anyway.  If you're willing to stick with Batwoman it's on its way to being worth it.  And Superman is fantastic stuff with IMO the perfect guy for the role.  I always preferred Batman but this is the first time I give a damn about Superman since maybe the Christopher Reeve movies.  Oh, shit, I forgot those are on HBO Max.  I need to get to watching them again.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2021 at 1:08 PM, Bustronaut said:

S&L is really showing the seams of the Berlantiverse wearing thin.  It's an amalgamation of Stargirl, The Flash, Supergirl and a hint of Legends thrown in, but brings nothing new to the table.

It seems regressive from a comic adaptation standpoint and suffers greatly from Supergirl's centrist politics, and we're only two episodes in. 

I haven't watched any of the other DC TV shows, so you definitely know a ton more about them than I do, but to your point about seeming regressive from an adaptation view, I don't know if I agree. For me, this has been the most enjoyable screen Superman in my lifetime. Its such a better, more appropriate tone for the character than the Snyder or Singer movies. Just curious, is it that you find it corny minus all the reboot grittiness? (If that comment was more about the centric politics of Supergirl, then disregard - I havent seen enough of it, so I'll take your word for it on that).

Just now, Matt D said:

We're watching trippy Brittania on Amazon Prime because the wife refuses to watch an episode more of Flash no matter what. I thought when we 100% ran out of TV to watch she was going to cave on it but nope.

It's her 1994 WCW? 

45 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Just curious, is it that you find it corny minus all the reboot grittiness?

It's regressive in that it's leaning away from the comic book goofiness that has slowly been making its way into adaptations as they (Berlanti especially) get more comfortable ensconced.  Stargirl had 5 characters in outfits straight from the comics fighting almost Batman '66 level villains. The rest of the CW shows did Crisis last year, and now we have Superman on a farm running around at the military's beck and call.

The third episode was much better, but still had the weird scene where Clark implied he was in 9th grade 20 years ago, which would mean that he and Lois met, got married, and had kids by the time he was 19.

• Thanks 1

Evf0rdKVgAA3XVB?format=jpg&name=large

Tyler Lee Hoechlin's Superman suits. I really like all four of them. Yeah, I'm in that very small minority having no problem with the cape clasps.

Best CWverse Superman suit though:

superman-superman-portada-770x513.jpg

Kingdom Come Superman.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

I had to laugh seeing Black Lightning because when the actress playing Jennifer left the show I expected they'd kill her off with the Ionosphere explosion.  Instead we get a different actress playing her and it so far has been awkward as hell.  But unlike Batwoman this role is a bit smaller so they can have other stuff going on while the actress finds her footing.  She seems fine enough so far but it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

15 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

It's regressive in that it's leaning away from the comic book goofiness that has slowly been making its way into adaptations as they (Berlanti especially) get more comfortable ensconced.  Stargirl had 5 characters in outfits straight from the comics fighting almost Batman '66 level villains. The rest of the CW shows did Crisis last year, and now we have Superman on a farm running around at the military's beck and call.

The third episode was much better, but still had the weird scene where Clark implied he was in 9th grade 20 years ago, which would mean that he and Lois met, got married, and had kids by the time he was 19.

Thanks for clarifying! I'm glad I asked, I thought you were trying to say the total opposite and was like "Uhhhhh..." lol

Black Lightning felt a bit awkward with a new actress in the Jennifer role. I actually think the new girl is solid, maybe even good, but I think the actress before her was so good and had 3 years to make that role her own that this was always going to be very strange change to work with.

Superman was another good episode. It was nice getting an episode where Jordan didn't hate on Clark. Was also neat getting a bit more focus on the Clark/Lois relationship. Finding out Morgan Edge's reasons for wanting Smallville should have been totally obvious in hindsight. Actually I'm kind of surprised writers hadn't gone that route before in other stories as it makes sense considering Clark landed there.

The real conclusion to Flash's last season was solid enough. Kind of disappointed OG Wells is already gone. Going off of the final scene at the end I'm guessing everyone connected to the Speed Force got their speed back. Kind of curious how the season will go now that it will really be starting with the next episode.

• Like 1

I'm really digging S&L now.  I like how they subverted the Smallville freak-of-the-week expectations by it never really getting past the "kid in trouble" stage.

It's more subplots and characterization than action, and I appreciate that nowadays.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I thought this week’s Flash was one of the worst episodes yet, although I assume it was likely due to hurriedly wrapping up last season.

It did seem a bit rushed but I was fine with them pushing the reset button.  I will admit that the whole thing with Flash and Iris was corny yet considering their story arc I thought it was also kind of sweet.  But whoever decided that Barry needed to refer to himself as the Paragon of Love needs to be fired.  I don't like the phrase but at least keep it at others referring to him as that.  Also I like that they found a way to keep Ralph's character on the show without the actor being part of it.  The lines didn't seem out of place for him plus I loved the Daft Punk reference.  And I hope to see more of Sue but it was nice seeing her again.

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Also I like that they found a way to keep Ralph's character on the show without the actor being part of it.  The lines didn't seem out of place for him plus I loved the Daft Punk reference.  And I hope to see more of Sue but it was nice seeing her again.

We are supposed to be getting more Sue this season. Not sure they have fully recasted Ralph yet. What they did in the latest episode was more to finish up the arc without the actor.

Edited by Eivion

2 minutes ago, Eivion said:

We are supposed to be getting more Sue this season. Not sure they have fully recasted Ralph yet. What they did in the latest episode was more to finish up the arc without the actor.

At one point last year, the showrunner said that he wanted to bring back Ralph back in some fashion to move the arc forward, then give the character a rest for awhile and hopefully bring him back later on (presumably with a different actor in the role).  I haven't heard anything since so I'm assuming they haven't recast the role permanently.

Honestly, given the age of the show, I think Ralph is probably off-screen for good except for maybe a token appearance when the series end.  

• Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 5:04 PM, Bustronaut said:

I'm really digging S&L now.  I like how they subverted the Smallville freak-of-the-week expectations by it never really getting past the "kid in trouble" stage.

It's more subplots and characterization than action, and I appreciate that nowadays.

I hated Smallville, but kinda grew up with the ABC Lois & Clark so I really wasn't sure what to expect, but like we talked about last week, this show's been absolutely fantastic so far. This week's "kid in trouble" subplot with the wide receiver's arm was over my head, but I'm real excited to see where it goes. I feel like this is an obvious reference I'm probably missing by not seeing the other shows, and not being up on comics since the 90s

Batwoman spoiler:

Spoiler

Apparently, Bawoman decided to recast Kate Kane after all.  ???.   CW is saying the bandaged woman in the sewers is indeed Kate Kane and Wallis Day will be taking over the role.  

Supposedly, Ryan Wilder will still be Batwoman going forward, though I'm kinda skeptical that lasts.  We'll see where they go from here.  I'm curious if this was the plan all along (probable; they've been hinting so heavily that Kate was still part of the show that it would have been a surprise if she stayed dead) or they got cold feet about the recast already.

Edited by Eoae
  • Sad 1

Man, just when I thought they did a good job of closing that chapter and having a sense of direction this news messes it up again.  Really don't want to ditch the show but it's becoming harder not to. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Eoae said:

Batwoman spoiler:

Hide contents

Apparently, Bawoman decided to recast Kate Kane after all.  ???.   CW is saying the bandaged woman in the sewers is indeed Kate Kane and Wallis Day will be taking over the role.  

Supposedly, Ryan Wilder will still be Batwoman going forward, though I'm kinda skeptical that lasts.  We'll see where they go from here.  I'm curious if this was the plan all along (probable; they've been hinting so heavily that Kate was still part of the show that it would have been a surprise if she stayed dead) or they got cold feet about the recast already.

Wow, this basically makes them switching out lead characters pointless and asinine. Its kind of slap in the face to fans who told them to do this shit in the first place. There is basically no reason to do this if the lead is still the new girl. And if they do switch them out then it will piss off people who became fans of her. CW should really toss out whoever is currently running the show.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Wow, this basically makes them switching out lead characters pointless and asinine. Its kind of slap in the face to fans who told them to do this shit in the first place. There is basically no reason to do this if the lead is still the new girl. And if they do switch them out then it will piss off people who became fans of her. CW should really toss out whoever is currently running the show.

You've beaten me to it, @Eivion. QFT.

I watched the first episode of Superman & Lois and started on the second. So far, so good, but have they said whether/when this takes place on Earth 1? Presumably it’s some time in the future due to the kids being in high school, but I wasn’t aware if they had stated as much.