DVDVR Message Board

DC TV - 2021

• 2 weeks later...

Thought the first episode of Superman & Lois was solid-good. Felt less like the usual Arrowverse, more family/character focused than villain of the week while still building up something big in the background. Don't particularly like either son yet though I do like their dynamic as brothers and as a family in general. It also felt like the production values were a pinch higher than the usual Arrowverse show as well. 

• Like 4

I was never a huge fan of Superman but I did really love the more vulnerable human side with him struggling as a father.  It also helps that I think the guy playing him is great in the role (and a pretty great guy IRL as well) so I'm definitely on board with the show.

• Like 2

Count me in on liking S&L. I was worried it would be too much like Man of Steel in the first 10 minutes, but this ended up having WAY more charm. Most of that has to do with Tyler Hoechlin being a pitch perfect Clark/Superman, but also because it felt really grounded in a good way. Seems like focus will be on the family side of things, with the superhero stuff being a nice compliment.

Hope we see some of the Supergirl cast make an appearance, as I think Kara would be better at helping the kids understanding things than Clark would.  Also I'm not ready to lose some of those characters. I heard Diggle/Lantern is supposed to pop in at some point too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

The scene with Supes saving the kid when he first arrives in Metropolis wearing the Max Fleischer costume was everything great about Superman .

Dude, I popped BIG for the Fleischer suit. They also redid that Action Comics cover scene in Superman Returns, but I liked it way, way more here with the suit and the exchange with the kid. 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 7:31 PM, Johnny Sorrow said:

The scene with Supes saving the kid when he first arrives in Metropolis wearing the Max Fleischer costume was everything great about Superman .

On 2/26/2021 at 11:16 PM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Dude, I popped BIG for the Fleischer suit. They also redid that Action Comics cover scene in Superman Returns, but I liked it way, way more here with the suit and the exchange with the kid. 

So did I:

EvftIAbUYAI6gkR?format=jpg&name=medium

Perfect!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Black Lightning has been rather dark this year, with Jefferson's PTSD (?) and emotional problems taking the forefront, so I wasn't particularly pleased with the ending of last night's ep.

Spoiler

The younger daughter, seemingly overloaded while absorbing energy from the atmosphere and exploded.  Probably the real end of the character, as the actress already made it known on social media that she had decided to leave the show and would only appear in a few eps.

It's not a terrible ending - they've been foreshadowing that something like this was going to happen - but it still seems likely to take the show to an ever darker place.

I am enjoying this season more than 2 and 3, fwiw.  Tobias Whale continues to be the best character on the show, so I feel like it was somewhat dumb to sideline him in seasons 2 and 3.  I'd be up for a spinoff of Tobias traveling the country, being an insincere jerk to people while occasionally bear-hugging a dude or two to death.  I'm not familiar with Krondon beyond Wiki saying he's a rapper, but he's been great in the role.  It appears his only previous acting job was a one-episode guest shot on Harry's Law.

Edited by Eoae

2 hours ago, RandomAct said:

So Superman was great again, but man Flash just felt weird af. I think having Cisco and Kaitlyn missing gave it an empty feeling. Not having a Wells will be weird.

Yeah, I’m just finishing the premiere and it feels very off. I know this shouldn’t have been the season premiere and all, but it just feels flat.

11 hours ago, RandomAct said:

So Superman was great again, but man Flash just felt weird af. I think having Cisco and Kaitlyn missing gave it an empty feeling. Not having a Wells will be weird.

I'm surprised they chose to have a big moment liek that without Kaitlyn & Cisco. It wasn't quite empty to me, but it definitely didn't have anywhere near the impact it should have. Coming back on such an episode just made things feel weird in general. Did like the reveal about Eva. 

• Like 1

S&L is really showing the seams of the Berlantiverse wearing thin.  It's an amalgamation of Stargirl, The Flash, Supergirl and a hint of Legends thrown in, but brings nothing new to the table.

It seems regressive from a comic adaptation standpoint and suffers greatly from Supergirl's centrist politics, and we're only two episodes in. 

Supergirl returns on March 30 for its final season.

It will air in the time slot that Superman & Lois currently is in.

Superman & Lois will be on hiatus until May 18... basically so they can finish filming the first season

• Sad 1

Superman was another solid episode though the football thing will always be a bit questionable.

Agreed about the ending to Flash. Not sure what to think though it will at least be interesting

Spoiler

finally to get to know the original Harrison Wells.

Re: the Flash spoiler

Spoiler

Despite the fact almost every Wells starts off this way, I’m expecting the “real” Wells to be a dick and reclaim Star Labs. Thawne-Wells had ulterior motives behind being such a huge mentor to Team Flash, while this Wells may not even know them (I don’t remember the exact timeline of when Thawne took over relative to the rest-if I’m off, obviously this speculation is too.)