DVDVR Message Board

DC TV - 2021

I'd have made this one DC thread, but Flashpoint hasn't happened yet, so, eh.  

Reminder, that DC Universe becomes comics only on the 21st.  Everything TV-wise will be on HBO Max by then.  

We're ~7 episodes into Titans season 1 because we've got a month of HBO Max. It's so Geoff Johns-y and it's funny because I fully expected that in the bad ways (gore, excess, grimdark, language for the sake of language, always, always, always taking things too far). As a big Titans fan, I knew there were elements of this that would really grate. What I wasn't expecting was that you get a lot of the good of Johns too. He makes things accurate in ways that almost any other showrunner would just toss out. Stuff like Gar and the Doom Patrol or a lot of what they do with Dick, or like Jason trying to steal the hubcaps off of the batmobile. The characters have a patina of feeling right and complex and the world feeling right, a lot like a Johns comic. But then he takes it too far. It's not enough for Jason to be a bit of a jerk or let a guy fall almost (or fully) to his death because he deserves it and was going to get away with it like in the comics. They have to make sure he completely brutalizes ten cops and then laughs it off. Always too much when less would work.

But I'm still sticking with watching because it's nice to see those little flourishes. It a show that tries way too hard but it's also the closest we've ever gotten to a Titans show.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

We're ~7 episodes into Titans season 1 because we've got a month of HBO Max. It's so Geoff Johns-y and it's funny because I fully expected that in the bad ways (gore, excess, grimdark, language for the sake of language, always, always, always taking things too far). As a big Titans fan, I knew there were elements of this that would really grate. What I wasn't expecting was that you get a lot of the good of Johns too. He makes things accurate in ways that almost any other showrunner would just toss out. Stuff like Gar and the Doom Patrol or a lot of what they do with Dick, or like Jason trying to steal the hubcaps off of the batmobile. The characters have a patina of feeling right and complex and the world feeling right, a lot like a Johns comic. But then he takes it too far. It's not enough for Jason to be a bit of a jerk or let a guy fall almost (or fully) to his death because he deserves it and was going to get away with it like in the comics. They have to make sure he completely brutalizes ten cops and then laughs it off. Always too much when less would work.

But I'm still sticking with watching because it's nice to see those little flourishes. It a show that tries way too hard but it's also the closest we've ever gotten to a Titans show.

Never got round to seeing either season. Might at some point if its still on Netflix in the UK. Read S2 was the better season.

Edited by The Natural

Green Arrow and the Canaries has been cancelled and will no longer be moving forward on the CW

Apparently the decision was made early in the pandemic but only being made now (with the pandemic supposedly the reason)

The is a chance - albeit it a small one - that it will still happen on HBO Max

I don't really think you can say it was cancelled when it was never greenlit. Had a feeling that would happen, and I'm perfectly ok with that. I had no interest in future set series for the Arrowverse or Ollie's daughter.

I know this talks about newer DC TV shows so not sure if it goes here.  But since Batman the Animated Series hit HBO Max we dove into the first episodes so far.  I remember watching a couple of them when they aired but unfortunately missed out on it at the time.  But holy smokes is this show outstanding.  Everything about it from the voice actors to the character backstories prove why this is such a legendary show.  I was at first going to ask for standout episodes but it didn't take long before we realized we're just gonna watch the whole thing.  Can't wait.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

You have the Mask of the Phantasm film to watch too ? 

Oh, believe you me I'm damn near intimidated by the DC animated movies they put out there.  That's on the list as is one where he's a ninja.  Sounded pretty cool so why not.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I know this talks about newer DC TV shows so not sure if it goes here.  But since Batman the Animated Series hit HBO Max we dove into the first episodes so far.  I remember watching a couple of them when they aired but unfortunately missed out on it at the time.  But holy smokes is this show outstanding.  Everything about it from the voice actors to the character backstories prove why this is such a legendary show.  I was at first going to ask for standout episodes but it didn't take long before we realized we're just gonna watch the whole thing.  Can't wait.

Hope this leads you down the rabbit hole of checking out the entire DCAU. It had its weaker points, but so much of it was quite good. Batman and JL were standouts, but Batman Beyond & Superman are well worth your time as well.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Oh, believe you me I'm damn near intimidated by the DC animated movies they put out there.  That's on the list as is one where he's a ninja.  Sounded pretty cool so why not.

Its a perfectly decent little film. The DC animated movies are generally good aside from the ones focused on the New 52 style of universe. Even those have some solid films in there.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2021 at 4:25 PM, RIPPA said:

Green Arrow and the Canaries has been cancelled and will no longer be moving forward on the CW

Apparently the decision was made early in the pandemic but only being made now (with the pandemic supposedly the reason)

On the plus side it could fit into an arc in LOT easily enough.

On 1/14/2021 at 2:20 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

On 1/14/2021 at 3:54 PM, Curt McGirt said:

You have the Mask of the Phantasm film to watch too ? 

On 1/14/2021 at 3:57 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

@NikoBaltimore: So glad you've entered the world of Batman: The Animated Series. Thanks for putting a smile on my face. I LOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE Batman: The Animated Series. Such a love letter to Batman fans for the writing, animation, voice cast and music.. It's my favourite Batman of all time followed by Batman: Year One, The Dark Knight Trilogy, Grant Morrison's Batman run and Batman: Arkham Asylum fighting it out for spots #2-5. I collect Batman merchandise and I especially seek out Batman: The Animated Series. I have the red card Batman: The Animated Series Batman and Joker figures, I have the orange card Batman: The Adventures Continue Batman, Joker, Harley Quinn figures and Funko POP from Batman: The Animated Series.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2021 at 11:25 AM, RIPPA said:

HBO passed.

On 1/9/2021 at 1:49 AM, The Natural said:

Never got round to seeing either season. Might at some point if its still on Netflix in the UK. Read S2 was the better season.

I've hit the point where I think that you specifically should watch it. It's basically the Dick Grayson show and while it's swear-y and violent, it's not the show it was advertised to be. Past one scene in his introduction that goes way over the top, it's got an interesting take on Jason (he's all over season 2), and an even more interesting take on Bruce. I'm curious what you'd think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Batwoman felt....idk....weird. Like, any momentum the show had at the end of last season just feels stuck in the mud as they figure out what the hell they are doing. It feels like they don't know what they are doing with Ryan's character yet, or what they want her to be.  If she's legit off her rocker because of all the trauma, then that would be a fun wrinkle, but otherwise it feels like the show is back to square one.

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

Hadn't realized it even came back. Wondering when everything else does.

Batwoman was this past Sunday. Flash isn't back until 2/23 along with Superman. Supergirl and Legends are sometime around the late spring or summer.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 3:48 PM, Matt D said:

I've hit the point where I think that you specifically should watch it. It's basically the Dick Grayson show and while it's swear-y and violent, it's not the show it was advertised to be. Past one scene in his introduction that goes way over the top, it's got an interesting take on Jason (he's all over season 2), and an even more interesting take on Bruce. I'm curious what you'd think.

Thank you for your post, @Matt D. Based on your past recommendations to me including Titans now and if it's on Netflix still, I'll watch it.

Speaking of Titans - Savannah Welch has been cast as Barbara Gordon

It doesn't really look like she has been in anything of note unless you want to count things like "waitress in Boyhood"

• Like 1

The 7th season of The Flash has been delayed a week and will now begin on March 2

This is because Superman & Lois will have a 90 minute long debut episode on Feb 23 (along with some sort of 30 minute special)