DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JAN 2021

Dolfan in NYC

20 hours ago, Craig H said:

Sunday ppvs suck. It sucks for nxt. It sucks for aew.

The whole idea is so absurd to me, since Monday is obviously a workday (or schoolday) for so many of us. Now, I never get to see US PPV's live anyway, so it's neither here nor there! But...if I wanted to see a live PPV on tv, to me, the obvious night (evening rather) would be Friday, not even Saturday, but Friday. I've got nothing better to do!

I realize that the fact that most people DO, is the reason Friday PPV's are most definitely not a thing, but for me that would be ideal. Because obviously, if you want a proper PPV experience, it's unlikely that one would prefer to be completely sober for it, for example. And drinking on a Sunday in a Protestant country is still more than a little questionable, if you have to work the next day.

• Like 2

Friday is historically the day people go out for dinner or a movie so the premise is more people are home on Sunday night. Obviously, I'm not sure how much that matters right now when most people don't go out at all anymore.

I hate to be the one that are shitting on a kid doing commentary but is the reason he was so refreshing and enjoying to listen to less about him and more about how most of current guys in all promotions except maybe Tony and sometimes TAZ are half assing it and sound like robots

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

The whole idea is so absurd to me, since Monday is obviously a workday (or schoolday) for so many of us. Now, I never get to see US PPV's live anyway, so it's neither here nor there! But...if I wanted to see a live PPV on tv, to me, the obvious night (evening rather) would be Friday, not even Saturday, but Friday. I've got nothing better to do!

I realize that the fact that most people DO, is the reason Friday PPV's are most definitely not a thing, but for me that would be ideal. Because obviously, if you want a proper PPV experience, it's unlikely that one would prefer to be completely sober for it, for example. And drinking on a Sunday in a Protestant country is still more than a little questionable, if you have to work the next day.

Yeah, I'm not gonna be staying up till stupid o'clock on a Sunday night local time to watch live. Probably wouldn't do that on a Saturday either but I would get up nice and early Sunday and watch the replay over breakfast. Can't do that on Monday morning ?

Buuuuuuut, I have taken a redundancy package at work and I'm finishing in 9 weeks and I've given them enough over the last 16 years, so I may just watch over breakfast on Monday morning while avoiding work, but let's not make a habit of this, AEW. 

• Like 1

Yeah, Friday is a no for me. Friday is still basically a weekday for me. I may finish up with work anywhere from 1 pm to 9 pm depending on when I hit my deadlines. Then there is dinner to make or going out to dinner, Friday is typically THE pizza night for my family, we may watch a movie or do board games, etc. Now, I know we can do those things on a Saturday, but Saturday is more of the free time day where I can say, "hey, at 8pm there is this PPV, do you mind if I go watch it" and feels like there's more freedom to do that.

Friday is just a no go and Sunday sucks because Monday is a workday. Sunday I'd rather wind down to end the weekend and not watch something that winds me back up again.

"Hollywood" Jack Perry is coming, daddy. Can't wait.

Vertvixen is my new favorite awful name. Congrats Red Velvet, Green Fox has taken the top spot.

Agreed with Santana and Ortiz getting serious again. I think the wrestlers who will survive the best in AEW will be those that can shift from comedy to brutal and back again with ease, PnP can do that. There's so many tag teams that they almost need secondary tag belts like the US Tag Titles or TV Tag Titles or the long theorised Trios Title. Too many titles is also a problem, so it's more that they have so many teams they need something for them all to do besides hunting the tag belts. Time for a tag league tournament imo.

9 hours ago, Casey said:

Yes, but the match @The Green Meanieis referring to was Nemeth, Vary Morales & Shawn Dean vs. Dustin Rhodes, QT Marshall & Nick Comoroto.

I remembered this later in the night - "Hey wait, what happened to Comoroto's push/win?"

i just now realized Nemeth/Comoroto was one in the same match. I now feel doubly ripped off.

It seems that everyone thinks that MJF is going to eventually turn on Jericho (and Wardlow is gonna break out) but to me I really see a lot in this potential Sammy vs MJF feud. I could see them fighting over the TNT belt down the line and The world title after that. This could end up being AEW's Rock vs HHH or Bret vs. Shawn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

It seems that everyone thinks that MJF is going to eventually turn on Jericho (and Wardlow is gonna break out) but to me I really see a lot in this potential Sammy vs MJF feud. I could see them fighting over the TNT belt down the line and The world title after that. This could end up being AEW's Rock vs HHH or Bret vs. Shawn

I think MJF and Sammy are in on it together...massive swerve and turn on Jericho. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, D.Z said:

y6_oj70c?format=jpg&name=small

Yay. Glad they're not segregating a Japanese side and an American side. Has Yuka been working TJP this week? Would enjoy her return even if it's just temporary for now. 

That Madi girl got dragged on twitter today like she's a hedge fund financier for copping Bianca Belair's act and not backing down when called out. Don't hate that. 

23 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Was just about to tag you on that in the podcast thread. But I think we're in for a rough one. 

Cheers, mate. Yes, it'll be a tough one. I keep forgetting that thread as I rarely listen to podcasts. Need to finish watching this one:

I will watch Amanda Hubert, Sting's and Eddie Kingston's. I think the latter was on Renee Paquette's podcast. The New Day's to Jon Hubert as well.

Edited by The Natural

So I understand that podcast discussion should go in the appropriate thread but in this case I feel it's best to bring it up here.

If you liked/loved Brodie in any way please check the podcast with Amanda as soon as you can.  There were some light moments because she's been really strong throughout the whole thing.  But when it gets heavy it hits like a ton of bricks and she goes into detail about what happened.  So that should put to bed any rumors about COVID or something like that.  And I wish that fucker from the Torch was still on Twitter so I can tell him to go fuck himself.

But the other key thing is Amanda also mentioned how much not just AEW but the Mayo Clinic went above and beyond do what they could to help.  She had a lot of great people there for her.  I also think that much more of Cody and Big E who were there per her request when they told Brodie Jr about the death.

And the thing that really got me was due to COVID Amanda said the tribute show was his funeral.  Which makes sense considering how really well done everything was.  But knowing that we were watching Brodie's funeral just hit so fucking hard.

Anyway, I can't recommend it enough but please listen to the episode.  And maybe have some tissues on hand.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

So I understand that podcast discussion should go in the appropriate thread but in this case I feel it's best to bring it up here.

If you liked/loved Brodie in any way please check the podcast with Amanda as soon as you can.  There were some light moments because she's been really strong throughout the whole thing.  But when it gets heavy it hits like a ton of bricks and she goes into detail about what happened.  So that should put to bed any rumors about COVID or something like that.  And I wish that fucker from the Torch was still on Twitter so I can tell him to go fuck himself.

But the other key thing is Amanda also mentioned how much not just AEW but the Mayo Clinic went above and beyond do what they could to help.  She had a lot of great people there for her.  I also think that much more of Cody and Big E who were there per her request when they told Brodie Jr about the death.

And the thing that really got me was due to COVID Amanda said the tribute show was his funeral.  Which makes sense considering how really well done everything was.  But knowing that we were watching Brodie's funeral just hit so fucking hard.

Anyway, I can't recommend it enough but please listen to the episode.  And maybe have some tissues on hand.

Cheers, @NikoBaltimore. I'll finish Mr. Brodie Lee's and will listen to Amanda Huber's.

• Like 1