DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JAN 2021

Dolfan in NYC

It has probably  been explained many times but what is the significance of the 'NORTH CAROLINA' stuff in the Kenny Omega's entrance?   I mean I would think it is a dig on Adam Page except for the fact that Page is from Virginia not North Carolina.   Granted most of his work was in North Carolina before AEW

5 minutes ago, hammerva said:

It has probably  been explained many times but what is the significance of the 'NORTH CAROLINA' stuff in the Kenny Omega's entrance?   I mean I would think it is a dig on Adam Page except for the fact that Page is from Virginia not North Carolina.   Granted most of his work was in North Carolina before AEW

It's how Michael Jordan, the greatest of all time, was introduced.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

These are always great. Kingston and Archer are having a great feud in my opinion, Eddie is rad on the promo as always and Lance is no slouch either. Kills me to say it but I think Eddie has to win on Wednesday. Archer can be beat and recover, he's done it a few times now, and Kingston needs to always be featured and to do that he needs a win once in a while. Doesn't have to be clean or anything.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EVA said:

What sucks is that the Logan Paul PPV that was going to be on the 27th and scared them off isn’t happening until April now.

Feb 27 does still have the next Canelo fight for what it's worth.

Now March 7 is being rumored as a possible date for the NBA All Star game

7 hours ago, EVA said:

What sucks is that the Logan Paul PPV that was going to be on the 27th and scared them off isn’t happening until April now.

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

Feb 27 does still have the next Canelo fight for what it's worth.

Now March 7 is being rumored as a possible date for the NBA All Star game

2/20 was gonna be LOGAN Paul vs. Floyd Mayweather. Canelo is just fighting an unknown mandatory basically on 2/27. JAKE Paul is the one fighting on 4/17. The Logan Paul vs. Mayweather fight, if it does happen, doesn't have a new date yet. It still hasn't been officially moved off 2/20 yet. Now UFC 259 being on 3/6 keeps them off of the Saturday after that.

They could have went on 2/27 because I don't see much crossover between the two audiences. Canelo is super popular but at the same time, he played second fiddle to a UFC PPV going against a much bigger name than his next opponent. He ain't Mike Tyson in his heyday. You can run a wrestling PPV. However, I'm guessing they would like an extra week or two to build up the next PPV.

The sheer delight that Taz took in having Negative One on commentary was just the best. Apparently, what I want from my pro wrestling these days is (at least in part) to take joy from seeing people make each other happy. Not necessarily what I used to want from my pro wrestling 20 years ago, but if AEW is offering that right now I am happy to take it.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Apparently -1 is the new leader of The Dark Order?

LOVED this week's episode of Dark. -1 on commentary was easily the highlight of the night, he had so many brilliant moments.

Did the Dolph Ziggler's brother match get canceled?

I think Dolph's brother The Hollywood Somethingorother (with the spray-tanned body and pale white face) is booked for a Dynamite debut.

Edit: indeed he is, vs The Anxious Millennial Has Been Drinking Groups Don't Work For Me Cowboy $#*t Hangman

Edited by El Gran Gordi

2 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

The sheer delight that Taz took in having Negative One on commentary was just the best. Apparently, what I want from my pro wrestling these days is (at least in part) to take joy from seeing people make each other happy. Not necessarily what I used to want from my pro wrestling 20 years ago, but if AEW is offering that right now I am happy to take it.

So by my count -1 leads in the following WON 2021 Awards categories:

-Rookie of the Year

-Booker of the Year

-Best Commentator

-Best Gimmick

-Best Promos

Am I missing any???

• Like 5

Santana & Ortiz regained some of their mean streak last night and it felt really good.   I've been a big fan of their comedy work over the past few months, but I also hope that last night's performance signals the beginning of a decent push towards the tag titles.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

I think Dolph's brother The Hollywood Somethingorother (with the spray-tanned body and pale white face) is booked for a Dynamite debut.

Edit: indeed he is, vs The Anxious Millennial Has Been Drinking Groups Don't Work For Me Cowboy $#*t Hangman

Yes, but the match @The Green Meanieis referring to was Nemeth, Vary Morales & Shawn Dean vs. Dustin Rhodes, QT Marshall & Nick Comoroto.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Yes, but the match @The Green Meanieis referring to was Nemeth, Vary Morales & Shawn Dean vs. Dustin Rhodes, QT Marshall & Nick Comoroto.

Curious if they taped that match but opted to hold it until after Page-Nemeth. 

I did crack up at Aubrey's ref dress and -1 going nuts on the mic ... the latter reminded me of watching Saturday morning wrestling as a kid. Fenix-Black was great and good women's matches overall.

Dark Thoughts

- Miro vs. Fuego Del Sol

I don't see anything in Del Sol as a talent. Miro did a decent job of getting himself over but he gave Del Sol more than I would have liked. Once Miro hit his clothesline, I would have ended the offense for Del Sol.

- Jurassic Express vs. Lee Johnson & Aaron Solow 

Johnson and Solow are okay. I'm not sure why they beat Johnson here to bring him back for the Walk On to leave him laying again. Maybe do the Walk On first and have Avalon screw him over in this match. The Jurassic Express shouldn't need the help in terms of the pecking order but it would have moved the angle along. Marko Stunt continues to be the most annoying underdog in the business.

- SCU vs. Terrence & Terrell Hughes  

TNT are one of few teams who have an established finisher that I don't think they've ever hit. The Hughes boys are a good looking team who could be something with some push behind them. Maybe they could be the team for the Joey Janella annoying heel manager bit I've advocated for in the past.

- M’Badu & KC Navarro vs. The Butcher & The Blade  

M'Badu has something but they squashed him awful fast.

- Red Velvet vs. Madi Wrenkowski 

Really good opening lock up.

- Sean Maluta vs. Danny Limelight

Obviously they went home early.

- Jake St. Patrick vs. Powerhouse Hobbs

Hobbs is the only guy who knows how to squash someone in this company. New Finisher is fire if he can pick up the speed between the pumphandle and the powerslam. But he displayed dominance and that's his job. He's the new Ray Traylor. Fight me.

• Like 1