DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JAN 2021

Dolfan in NYC

With NBCSN shutting down before the end of 2021 this indicates USA Network will be carrying the current NBCSN NHL package on Wednesday nights in the not so distant future. 

NXT will need to move off Wednesday’s....

This is a big deal for AEW and Mr. Tony Khan. AEW’s ratings will take a leap upward over 1 million to 1.2 million and its value to TNT also jumps higher going into their next Media negotiations with TNT after the current contract is done in 2023. 

Yeah...this is a big deal.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 4:48 PM, Andy in Kansas said:

For anyone wondering, Revolution will be February 27. 

When do we expect them to announce a world title bout? And are we thinking Mox-Omega three stages of hell or something else? 

3 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

In my head I went “oh that’s ages away, they have plenty of time to announce a world title bout” then I remembered it’s only really 5 weeks!

I was beginning to feel like Dynamite has been drifting a little aimlessly recently, hopefully announcing a date will allow them to set some things up and get a bit of focus and direction.

Meltzer said today they are looking at moving it back a week to either March 6 or 7. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flair’s Shadow said:

With NBCSN shutting down before the end of 2021 this indicates USA Network will be carrying the current NBCSN NHL package on Wednesday nights in the not so distant future. 

This is a big deal for AEW and Mr. Tony Khan. AEW’s ratings will take a leap upward over 1 million to 1.2 million and its value to TNT also jumps higher going into their next Media negotiations with TNT after the current contract is done in 2023. 

Yeah...this is a big deal.

It sucks for NXT as it is generally a good show that could have had monster ratings on a different night. On the other hand I will be curious to see what gif Andy uses when they go back to the network. 

3 hours ago, Flair’s Shadow said:

Do we know this for sure? Is there no other property under the NBC umbrella that would be a fit for NXT? What's on SyFy (or however it's spelled now) Wednesday nights?

I think their deal with USA was only for a couple years, so it'd be up later this year, right? Would they be able to shop it elsewhere?

15 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Do we know this for sure? Is there no other property under the NBC umbrella that would be a fit for NXT? What's on SyFy (or however it's spelled now) Wednesday nights?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, oh, um, absolutely fucking nothing.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Meltzer said today they are looking at moving it back a week to either March 6 or 7. 

6th March is my Birthday and it's loaded with UFC 259 hosting three title fights, Alexander Povetkin vs. Dillian Whyte II and potentially AEW Revolution 2021! Nice one.

• Like 1

This is AEW-adjacent at best, but a friend of mine gave me a video file of the first episode of Go-Big Show... and to my surprise it was hugely entertaining. Much more interesting and amusing and unexpectedly heart-warming than I thought it would be. Very relaxed and friendly vibe to the presentation, with the acts providing the drama. Snoop is consistently entertaining in his role. Cody did just fine. The acts were genuinely impressive. 

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 4

I just saw the music video for Men Without Hats - Safety Dance for the first time in my life, and realised if the Dark Order REALLY want to recruit Hangman they should recreate this video with Hangman as the main guy, the resemblance is uncanny.

Silver could be the little guy, Anna Jay the blonde chick.

Edited by Ultimo Necro
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I just saw the music video for Men Without Hats - Safety Dance for the first time in my life, and realised if the Dark Order REALLY want to recruit Hangman they should recreate this video with Hangman as the main guy, the resemblance is uncanny.

Silver could be the little guy, Anna Jay the blonde chick.

You had never seen that video before? You poor soul.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You had never seen that video before? You poor soul.

I was gonna say how does one go this long (however long that is) without seeing that music video? Or at least the literal music video-version of it? But hey, better late than never!

So was that video filmed in England, or is there somewhere in Canada that looks super Olde Worlde? Because I think of it as their first and only song, and it seems unlikely that a newly signed unknown band would get to go Transatlantic for a video shoot right off the bat.

Or are they actually TWO hit wonders somehow? 

1 hour ago, Stevie Ray Von Erich said:

What was up with the weird edits in the Cutler/Luchasaurus match? There was an awkward voice over on a shit can and the weirdness with that chokeslam.

Also, everything about Luchasaurus annoys me. I want Jungle Jack Perry on his own so badly.

Didn't Cutler get dropped on his head or am I mis-remembering?  Maybe they stopped the match to make sure he was ok.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AxB said:

So was that video filmed in England, or is there somewhere in Canada that looks super Olde Worlde? Because I think of it as their first and only song, and it seems unlikely that a newly signed unknown band would get to go Transatlantic for a video shoot right off the bat.

Or are they actually TWO hit wonders somehow? 

It was filmed in England, but only one member of the band is in it. Their second hit came later and only cracked the Top 20 in the US, although it did better in Canada than Safety Dance did.

Quick, tie it back into wrestling.... Um, people often conflate them with Men At Work, which was also the name of a WCW tag team.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stevie Ray Von Erich said:

Also, everything about Luchasaurus annoys me. I want Jungle Jack Perry on his own so badly.

At best, as a singles competitor Jungle Boy would be sixth or seventh on the face depth chart. As part of a team, he's regularly positioned near the top of his division, and has plenty of time to grow into a singles star if that's the way they decide to go with him.

Also, I like Luchasaurus, and I bet he moves at least as much merch. Don't underestimate the appeal of a wrestling dinosaur.

1 hour ago, kafkonia said:

It was filmed in England, but only one member of the band is in it. Their second hit came later and only cracked the Top 20 in the US, although it did better in Canada than Safety Dance did.

Quick, tie it back into wrestling.... Um, people often conflate them with Men At Work, which was also the name of a WCW tag team.

Isn't the girl from Safety Dance also the Bass player in the other video?

Apparently they were originally The Men Without Hate, but they got signed after a show in Montreal, and the guy announcing them on stage spoke French as his first language.

10 hours ago, EVA said:

Boo Sunday PPVs.

10 hours ago, DangerMark said:

Indeed, that's horrible news. 

7 hours ago, Infinit said:

I hope that it's a one time experiment. Saturday PPVs are so much better.

This. Saturday PPV's are much better especially for those who have to watch them in the early hours of the morning. Glad UFC and AEW do them on a Saturday. Hope AEW's is a one off.

So UFC 259 will start about 10pm on the 6th of March with the main card from 3am till about 5:30am Sunday morning I reckon. AEW Revolution 2021 is on the 7th March but here it's the 8th of March 1am till 4am, probably longer than that Monday morning. I'll likely be watching both as they go out and by doing so:

OIP.OpoWrSBzZhswFRb_GpZGhwHaEK?pid=Api&d

Now if both AEW Revolution and UFC 259 were on 6th March, I would have waited to see the cards and then decide. I'm a big fan of wrestling and MMA. I'd have gone with AEW by their track record and as a fan of wrestling longer than MMA. Wrestling since five years old and MMA from either January 2003 or January 2005.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1