— Shawn Dean and Fuego Del Sol vs. The Acclaimed

— Marti Daniels vs. Shanna

— Brandon Cutler vs. Luchasaurus with Jungle Boy and Marko Stunt

— Jon Cruz and Danny Limelight vs. Santana and Ortiz

— Nick Comoroto vs. Scorpio Sky

— Zack Clayton vs. Sonny Kiss

— The Butcher and The Blade with The Bunny vs. Mike Verna and Baron Black

— Gunn Club vs. Ryzin, Adam Priest, and Vary Morales

they should have a really big tournament on Dark for all the Dark jobbers and the winner should get a TNT title shot on Dynamite and lose

tony book my shit

edit: and just to provide substance to this well-meaning drunkpost, I write this after rewatching the super-fun Jun Akiyama vs. Masao Inoue GHC Heavyweight Championship match from 2006 that was set up in a similar way

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

they should have a really big tournament on Dark for all the Dark jobbers and the winner should get a TNT title shot on Dynamite and lose

tony book my shit

edit: and just to provide substance to this well-meaning drunkpost, I write this after rewatching the super-fun Jun Akiyama vs. Masao Inoue GHC Heavyweight Championship match from 2006 that was set up in a similar way

That match is a classic. I still don't get how Akiyama only got into Dave's HOF by the skin of his teeth. Dude is >>> Nagata and I've come to begrudgingly enjoy Nagata.

41 minutes ago, Jiji said:

That match is a classic. I still don't get how Akiyama only got into Dave's HOF by the skin of his teeth. Dude is >>> Nagata and I've come to begrudgingly enjoy Nagata.

Eeeh. Akiyama spent the peak of his career booking himself into goofy shit when he didn't have to while Nagata grit his teeth and got us through Inokism and was the guy who got Tanahashi over. Akiyama was supposed to be the NOAH ace but felt like ending his reigns on Ogawa and Marufuji. Nagata had a 0-2 MMA career forced upon him against CRO COP and FEDOR and still soldiered on with his ten-defense IWGP reign. There's an argument for talent, but who did more with their circumstances?

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Akiyama chose to drop the title to Ogawa (and in that manner) ? I don't know how NOAH's booking went. I've read that he was never comfortable being the ace, even though he clearly had the aura for it. Either way, he delivered in pretty much every big match he was ever put in. That G1 Climax run alone was so fucking great. The Shibata match is one of my favourites. He had some classics in his second AJPW stint too.

And Yuji Nagata doesn't do goofy shit (admittedly of a different variety)? 

Picture of Yuji Nagata

Yes, Nagata was put through a lot. And yet he still got that massive title reign. Even then, he was definitely not The Guy to take the torch from the musketeers and business was going to go down in that time regardless of how Inoki booked him imo. Their careers have a lot of overlap and eerie similarities and I'm not saying he was a scrub by any means. He was reliable, tried his best, and had some great matches during that transition period against Mutoh and Fujita. I don't think even Akiyama does great stuff with Tadao (how do you like me now) Yasuda. 

6 hours ago, Infinit said:

Is it me or does Nick Comoroto look like a blown up Bobby Roode?

I was trying to think who he reminded me of! I caught Dark for the first time in ages, watching in the background between playing games. Sammy and Lucha Bros matches were entertaining for what they were, and the banter throughout did not disappoint.

I can't say I'm a fan of Butcher's new baggy trousers, they make his legs look skinnier and less flattering on his gut so he's uncomfortably reminiscent of sweatpants-clad Beyond the Mat era Jake the Snake. Considering his look is arguably his biggest positive, it's a puzzling choice.   

8 hours ago, Infinit said:

I found out from a friend last year that Comoroto comes up to my county quite a bit since he has a girlfriend.  And from what I understand he's a big ol' goofball but a pretty decent guy.  So I hope to meet him one day but it's cool to see him do his thing on Dark.  Not sure if he's worth signing especially when you have teams like Bear Country who have a better case.  But still cool to see him.

As for @SirFozziethey had a similar idea on NWA Powerr where the TV title had a similar setup.  I'm not sure if they're going to continue with that since Powerr's apparently coming back this year.  But if not then I'd be all for it.

15 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Actually, I thought that they should have something similar, but instead of a tournament Have a King of the Hill title, defend it five times, receive a TNT title shot on Dynamite. Gives a bit of a storyline from week to week

Kinda like the $10000 dollar challenge in WCW

Voting for the AEW Awards right now, and was amused by the choices for Bleacher Report PPV Moment of the Year:

• Stadium Stampede
  • Jon Moxley wins AEW World Championship
  • Shida wins AEW Women's World Championship
  • Kenny Omega & Adam "Hangman" Page defeat the Young Bucks
  • Darby Allin defeats Cody Rhodes for TNT Title
  • Young Bucks win AEW World Tag Title

Who did Mox, Shida, and the Bucks win their belts from? Irrelevant. Scrubs. Mere mortals. Who did Darby Allin defeat? Who gave Darby that generous rub? The one and only Cody freakin' Rhodes!

It's the little things. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Jiji said:

Akiyama chose to drop the title to Ogawa (and in that manner) ? I don't know how NOAH's booking went. I've read that he was never comfortable being the ace, even though he clearly had the aura for it. Either way, he delivered in pretty much every big match he was ever put in. That G1 Climax run alone was so fucking great. The Shibata match is one of my favourites. He had some classics in his second AJPW stint too.

And Yuji Nagata doesn't do goofy shit (admittedly of a different variety)? 

Picture of Yuji Nagata

Yes, Nagata was put through a lot. And yet he still got that massive title reign. Even then, he was definitely not The Guy to take the torch from the musketeers and business was going to go down in that time regardless of how Inoki booked him imo. Their careers have a lot of overlap and eerie similarities and I'm not saying he was a scrub by any means. He was reliable, tried his best, and had some great matches during that transition period against Mutoh and Fujita. I don't think even Akiyama does great stuff with Tadao (how do you like me now) Yasuda. 

On Nagata: I think the fact that Bryan Danielson said several years back that he felt Nagata was the best wrestler in the world says it all. 

17 hours ago, Infinit said:

Nope. He's totally Ogre from Revenge Of The Nerds, and I love him for it.

Also, that was a really really good episode of Dark. I love how it's basically a Tazz/Excalibur podcast with wrestling thrown in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

On Nagata: I think the fact that Bryan Danielson said several years back that he felt Nagata was the best wrestler in the world says it all. 

He's wrong and I hate him.

To add to that, Dave when talking about Nagata's entry into his HOF said that many of the pro wrestlers that worked with Nagata said that he was one of the best. Again, wrong/hate. I do think his final G1 run was some of his best work and that he got significantly smarter as a worker as he aged and his body declined along with his push and expectations.

Edited by Jiji

Nick Comoroto has a great look and I would love to have his straitjacket/trenchcoat in my wardrobe. That and The Brian Kendrick's jacket. He's also one of my favourite Dark staples, and I hope they start giving him a few wins from time to time. Rather than the Gunnzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kafkonia said:

Nick Comoroto has a great look and I would love to have his straitjacket/trenchcoat in my wardrobe. That and The Brian Kendrick's jacket. He's also one of my favourite Dark staples, and I hope they start giving him a few wins from time to time. Rather than the Gunnzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

I fucking love Nick Camorato, dude. He's such a WCW weekend show guy, and I mean that with the highest amount of praise possible. 

• Like 1