DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JAN 2021

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, Leonidas said:

Anyone up for getting AEW to notice the idea of a "Brodie Lee Memorial Hoss Tournament"?

This idea has been floated around since his passing. Wondered if we as a community could get some traction going with getting AEW to notice such an idea?

Let's get some big meaty men slapping meat!!!

Easily got the roster for an 8 man tourney, even a 16 man if you go the usual hosses or outside AEW:
1. Brian Cage
2. Jake Hager
3. Lance Archer
4. Luchasaurus
5. Miro
6. Powerhouse Hobbs
7. The Butcher
8. Wardlow
9. Dustin Rhodes
10. Billy Gunn
11. Doc Gallows
12. Erick Redbeard
13. Boulder
14. Luther?
15. Comoroto?
16. ?

Bear Bronson & Bear Boulder! ?

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

Obvious statement: the only free agents from ROH I think AEW should be looking at are Rush and Dragon Lee/Ryu.

Most of my memories of Tracy Williams are as an Ant, but that was the case with Orange Cassidy and Drew Gulak a year ago and I'm pretty sure they do good work. I like Jonathan Gresham as a reflex, and AEW doesn't really have a Daniel Bryan/ZSJ/Chris Hero/Tim Thatcher/Osamu fuckin' Nishimura type who can just Do Technical Wrestling on you and beat anybody on any night. Does Brody King have any upside? I pretty much only watch RoH when I'm in hotels with limited channel choices.

And while we're at it, let's all close our eyes and imagine a Shawn Spears/Matt Taven tag team. Beats watching the news.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

11 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Most of my memories of Tracy Williams are as an Ant, but that was the case with Orange Cassidy and Drew Gulak a year ago and I'm pretty sure they do good work. I like Jonathan Gresham as a reflex, and AEW doesn't really have a Daniel Bryan/ZSJ/Chris Hero/Tim Thatcher/Osamu fuckin' Nishimura type who can just Do Technical Wrestling on you and beat anybody on any night. Does Brody King have any upside? I pretty much only watch RoH when I'm in hotels with limited channel choices.

Of those, Gresham is the one I'd go with if I had to pick one. It's just that there are SO MANY men on the roster already and a lot of them are fighting for tv time beyond Dark squashes. A second tv show may help but at this point I hope they avoid signing male wrestlers unless they really think they're going to make a difference. Rush is a difference maker. Lee is a madman and I need Lee vs. Fenix in my life more. Gresham is fantastic at what he does for sure but he'd have to have a Bryan-like improvement in promos/angles to be a difference maker even more so with his stature (I'm not a body guy by any stretch but he's incredibly short: billed at 5'4"). 

I used to watch every EVOLVE show for a good while up until they were fully on board with WWE. At that time, Williams was capable of good things but needed a better dance partner and I hated his character work. I'm guessing I'd like him more under a mask, like in Chikara, but then I'd have to watch Chikara.

Brody King I haven't seen for a year plus but he was a guy who had some decent presence and look but his work was sloppy and he tried to do athletic/agile spots he wasn't able to pull off cleanly most of the time. He's supposed to be one of the nicest guys in wrestling, which is awesome, but I would let him develop further in ROH before thinking about bringing him in. 

All of those guys are projects. I wouldn't sign any projects at this point unless they scream star and I don't think these guys do that.

I have definitely liked Dalton Castle from when I have briefly seen him, but agree that he would likely be a depth piece on an AEW roster that does not need depth (thanks to the combination of past free agent acquisitions and the development of guys like Orange Cassidy, Jungle Boy/Lucha Express, and Reynolds/Silver among others). Agree with Rush and Ryu/Dragon Lee being the only ROH talents that AEW should target when available, but I wouldn't cry foul in they signed someone like Castle (just would bet against him being a regular part of the show). Now, I enjoy seeing fresh talents come in and out, and hopefully as AEW continues to establish itself, it keeps strong relationships with many different promotions so talent can cycle in and out of the company, but as of now they should only focus on wrestlers that can really impact the product.

7 hours ago, Infinit said:

What does everything think about a healthy Dalton Castle in AEW? WO update says he's a free agent.

If he's healthy, he would be a big asset.  I don't think he's healthy.

I don't think he'll ever leave, but I'd take Jey Lethal in a second.  He's legit great.  Gresham as well.

Edited by alstein

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Nick even said in the post that there were matches were Matt had to do the majority of the work because his (Nick's) cardio was still completely gone

He noted he was in bed ridden for almost 3 weeks and couldn't smell or taste for 2 1/2 months

Yeah, the second I learned this it elevated Young Bucks to best tag team in wrestling and one of the best ever for me. How the Hell do you have a tag match as good as their one against FTR when you’re feeling like that? Like sure, you could say Matt did most of the work, but Nick did his fair share against FTR. God damn are those guys talented wrestlers. 

• Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
6 hours ago, Casey said:

Chris Hero being picked up and being an active roster member/trainer like Dustin Rhodes wouldn’t be a terrible idea.

I'd like to see Hero and Kingston go at it again.

Castle is one of wrestling's biggest misses.  He was one of the hottest acts on the indies in 2015, similar to how we see Orange Cassidy and people on that level.  ROH waited a year or two too long to put the belt on him, then his reign was sidetracked by some bad injuries, and he's never really recovered.  I don't think he has much upside anymore and is probably a ROH lifer at this point.

• Like 1

To go one step further, I'll pass on seeing anyone extra in AEW right now. They have a big roster as is. Like, Jay White is the probably the crown jewel out there right now and he'd be an incredible hire, but how do you sign someone like that and not strap a jetpack to his back and shoot him into the World title picture? A World title held by a heel. I suppose having a Jay White is a nice problem to have and a problem TK wouldn't mind happening, but as a fan and viewer invested in current storylines, it all feels like shitty timing. I'd love to have Jay White, but I don't want to interupt ongoing storylines.

As always, if this were an Io that were available, I'd say give her any amount of money she would want. Same goes for Sasha, Charlotte, Bayley, Rhea, Dakota, Storm, or Belair. 

• Like 3

Here's a weird one.  Does anyone recall a weird Youtube-only wrestling project that would have existed several years ago?  The matches looked like they took place in a warehouse and the AEW tie-in is that I remember it featured the Young Bucks playing a brother team and the plotline was they'd been partners at some point and one had recently come back to town and they were maybe feuding over a girl.  I believe the project was maybe related to Wrestling Society X or Wrestling Retribution Project, like it was a Youtube-only offshoot.  Any ideas?  The Bucks make no mention of it in their book but I swear I saw it.  Maybe this is some Mandela Effect shit and I saw an alternate universe at some point.

Was that the one that had J*ey Ry*n doing a gay gimmick? Because that one was a Kickstarter scam that got out of hand, I think.

12 minutes ago, AxB said:

Was that the one that had J*ey Ry*n doing a gay gimmick? Because that one was a Kickstarter scam that got out of hand, I think.

No, that was Wrestling Retribution Project.  I believe this thing may have happened at the same time and may have been an adjacent project but I can't find any info on it.  It's not listed in the WRP Wikipedia page

Edited by Technico Support

13 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Most of my memories of Tracy Williams are as an Ant, but that was the case with Orange Cassidy and Drew Gulak a year ago and I'm pretty sure they do good work.

I know it's sort of a worst-kept-secret that people playfully protect as kayfabe, but now that Chikara is probably done and Quack has been outed as a creep, can I get a breakdown of who all played Ants?

Edited by Log
typo

34 minutes ago, Log said:

I know it's sort of a worst-kept-secret that people playfully protect as kayfabe, but now that Chikara is probably done and Quack has been outed as a creep, can I get a breakdown of who all played Ants?

Here's a pretty good reddit thread outlining all ants and their identities.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

You can say Joey Ryan. It's not like he's Voldemort or Candyman.

Well, on the AEW Podcast when they had Jurassic Express on, they really went out of their way to not say his name. Lots of "It was someone else's idea" and not saying who the someone else was.