DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JAN 2021

Dolfan in NYC

That's interesting as AEW's stories are something I would consider a bit of a mixed bag of dropped angles and feuds that didn't live up to expectations other than Jon Moxley related angles (vs Jericho and vs Kingston) and Cody angles (vs Jericho again, vs MJF, vs. Brodie).

WWE lucks into good stories sometimes (Becky getting her nose broken, Kofimania) and at least they have the good sense to run with those sometimes. I think Kevin Owens and Chris Jericho teaming leading up to the Festival of Friendship was also a well done long term story. 

As for AEW, you're leaving out the Omega/Page run which includes a nice rivalry with the Bucks, who had their own redemption story in the meantime. I'd put the Best Friends/Santana and Ortiz feud to have been really good, and all the brawls between the Inner Circle and the Elite weren't just Cody. And it's not entirely fair to judge them on the same standard since it's a company in its first year of operation which happens to be in, let's say, interesting times. Yeah, the big angles involved the big stars, you cracked the code on that one, and I'll give you there have been some stop and start angles (or just stop) but I think you're underselling some of the undercard angles. Hell, Brandon Cutler and Peter Avalon had a pretty good thing going on Dark for months. If that's not your kind of wrestling I get it, at least they're trying even at that level.

Edited by Godfrey
  • Like 2

Matches like Stadium Stampede, the Parking Lot brawl, Kenny/PAC, Cutler/Avalon, Hardy/Sammy, a few others felt like proper blowoffs that concluded a feud. Most of the stuff that was dropped was due to COVID, injury, or certain acts just not working out. Spears, Janela, Ryder, Brandi & Co., the FTW belt meaning anything, yeah, most of that was banished to Dark. But none of that has been good TV, though it pains me to say it in a few of those cases.

The worst handling of a storyline I've seen so far is Bucks/FTR, but the matches were so good I can forgive (and I'm not a Bucks guy). Sort of the opposite of the WWE problem, the build to the great moment (the match) was awful but the follow-through was fine. I think a bigger issue, one illustrated by Bucks/FTR, is engineering feuds with no babyfaces. The same problem has stayed happening with PAC/Kingston and I worry about Jericho/MJF.

And speaking of Jericho, I think the biggest fuck-up of a "moment" was the awful post-Sturgis performance he put on before he blew the finish to Orange Cassidy's big win. I'm not saying bad celebrity angles or a snakebit women's division can't cause more cringe, but that match felt like the biggest pitch they completely whiffed on. That or the response to Hardy's injury at All Out sucking the life out of their biggest-ever show. Neither of those were really the fault of the booking, though.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

So Hangman Adam Page was correct. He was all alone all this time. His insecurities told him the truth. Omega and the Bucks were never really in his corner.

I believe it’s time right now for AEW to lean on Hangman to be the leading face of the company. Lance Archer seems to be ready to go to Impact and push the inter-promotional war...which is fine. Darby can’t be one of the top 2 faces in the company just yet..he has his war going on with Team Taz. 

Hangman (Dark Order) PAC & Jericho/Sammy, after Inner Circle implodes, seems to be the main faces in 2021 to battle Elite Bullet Club. But Hangman will become Face #1 in AEW in my opinion.

Edited by Flair’s Shadow

4 hours ago, Flair’s Shadow said:

So Hangman Adam Page was correct. He was all alone all this time. His insecurities told him the truth. Omega and the Bucks were never really in his corner.

I believe it’s time right now for AEW to lean on Hangman to be the leading face of the company. Lance Archer seems to be ready to go to Impact and push the inter-promotional war...which is fine. Darby can’t be one of the top 2 faces in the company just yet..he has his war going on with Team Taz. 

Hangman (Dark Order) PAC & Jericho/Sammy, after Inner Circle implodes, seems to be the main faces in 2021 to battle Elite Bullet Club. But Hangman will become Face #1 in AEW in my opinion.

Hangman was the most popular guy in the company the last time they had normal crowds and traveled each week, so not a stretch at all for him to be the top face. 

I just cancelled my direct tv since we're planning to sell the house pretty soon, but I still have internet. Is there anyplace I can stream Dynamite on Wednesday? I know they have the deal with BRL, but I don't recall if they air the shows live or not

If you've got a VPN, it's on Fite (but not for Americans). It's $3.99 a month, but commercial free and I think you can get the first month as a free trial.

2 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I just cancelled my direct tv since we're planning to sell the house pretty soon, but I still have internet. Is there anyplace I can stream Dynamite on Wednesday? I know they have the deal with BRL, but I don't recall if they air the shows live or not

The shows on BRL are like a month behind. TNT's website lets you watch the shows the next day or something, but you have to sign in with your cable provider login. What @AxBsaid is probably your best bet, really.

This somewhat explains the lackluster weeks of Bucks (and really only Matt and some other guy's leg off-screen) superkicking people without much story around.

Now we can blame it all on Covid and not on stupid creative decisions... phew.

Edited by MrKothoga

8 hours ago, MrKothoga said:

This somewhat explains the lackluster weeks of Bucks (and really only Matt and some other guy's leg off-screen) superkicking people without much story around.

Now we can blame it all on Covid and not on stupid creative decisions... phew.

Nick even said in the post that there were matches were Matt had to do the majority of the work because his (Nick's) cardio was still completely gone

He noted he was in bed ridden for almost 3 weeks and couldn't smell or taste for 2 1/2 months

Anyone up for getting AEW to notice the idea of a "Brodie Lee Memorial Hoss Tournament"?

This idea has been floated around since his passing. Wondered if we as a community could get some traction going with getting AEW to notice such an idea?

Let's get some big meaty men slapping meat!!!

Easily got the roster for an 8 man tourney, even a 16 man if you go the usual hosses or outside AEW:
1. Brian Cage
2. Jake Hager
3. Lance Archer
4. Luchasaurus
5. Miro
6. Powerhouse Hobbs
7. The Butcher
8. Wardlow
9. Dustin Rhodes
10. Billy Gunn
11. Doc Gallows
12. Erick Redbeard
13. Boulder
14. Luther?
15. Comoroto?
16. ?

I also just posted this in r/squaredcircle - appreciate an upvote to get more eyes on it - Here

• Like 2

Memorial Tournament is a fine idea, but bit vulgar/ unnecessary to dictate it by size. There really should be some sort of tangible prize at the end too (No. 1 Contendorship for example). Problem is they’ve ran a lot of such tournaments recently. Perhaps craft it into a PPV / Special a la old King of The Ring. 

31 minutes ago, A_K said:

Memorial Tournament is a fine idea, but bit vulgar/ unnecessary to dictate it by size. There really should be some sort of tangible prize at the end too (No. 1 Contendorship for example). Problem is they’ve ran a lot of such tournaments recently. Perhaps craft it into a PPV / Special a la old King of The Ring. 

You know you could probably book a pretty good tournament just with the members of the Dark Order.

Round 1:

Adam Page over Reynolds

Uno over Angels

Silver over 10

Grayson over Colt

Round 2:

Page over Uno

Silver over Grayson

Finals:

Page over Silver

I like this idea.  I feel like we’ve talked about turning the FTW title into the hoss title before.  Maybe run the tournament, and the winner gets a shot at Cage?  That would squeeze another match out of this without going to 16 guys or doing some elaborate format with byes.  Keep it simple: 8 hosses vying for an FTW shot.

I like bringing in Redbeard for this, too.  I would probably give him someone he can beat while doing no harm for a feel-good 1st round win, like the Butcher, and then feed him to Miro in the semis.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1