DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JAN 2021

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

Anybody ever say when Adam Cole's contract is up? There's no way he isn't immediately in AEW, and that'll be another talent to book the upper mid card around. 

I have been reading that Cole signed an extension through 2022 last summer, but yes, definitely expect him to jump next summer. Stopped following NXT last summer, and it seems like Cole has been booked fairly well there, but I'd guess that he may regret signing that extension. Can understand why guys like him, A.J., and the Good Brothers among others re-signed to stay in WWE, but I'd expect a decent number of the next top round of guys in WWE to jump when their contract is up now that AEW is an established brand. Also, it's a big difference for a fan for me to super pumped and optimistic last summer about AEW and the actual wrestles livelihoods who have only known one  major North American brand for their professional lives (and saw the travails of the last company, TNA/Impact, that tried to establish itself). If AEW turned out to be no different then TNA, no professional or financial harm done for a fan like me (though I may have stopped watching wrestling, as I'm not sure if just New Japan would keep my interest). However, now that AEW is more then a proof of concept and is a stable, major company, top names in the WWE do not have to worry about risking leaving a place that is by most accounts a miserable place to work for a place that is just about universally loved by the talents that work there.

This week's Dark has Thunder Rosa vs Ashley Vox (one half of the Sea Stars; Leyla Hirsch's other half). Both Sea Stars (Vox and Delmi Exo) would be a good get for AEW, although she was most likely in town for the New Year's Party.

Spoiler

EqoMgz-XEAYk8PQ?format=jpg&name=large

And so was Keira Hogan, it seems.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

This week's Dark has Thunder Rosa vs Ashley Vox (one half of the Sea Stars; Leyla Hirsch's other half). Both Sea Stars (Vox and Delmi Exo) would be a good get for AEW, although she was most likely in town for the New Year's Party.

Hide contents

EqoMgz-XEAYk8PQ?format=jpg&name=large

And so was Keira Hogan, it seems.

Believe Keira Hogan is in a relationship with AEW's Diamante.

Also on Dark ... Danny Limelight vs. Fuego Del Sol. Someone's likely getting their first AEW win.

3 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Anybody ever say when Adam Cole's contract is up? There's no way he isn't immediately in AEW, and that'll be another talent to book the upper mid card around. 

No thanks. That's the last thing AEW needs; another indy-tastic spot spammer under 5'9. I love AEW, but there's enough guys with that exact skill set...

They should be getting Lee Johnson into the next phase of his career, and not worry too much about a guy who won’t move the needle like Cole.

But Cole could sign just because it’s pretty obvious he isn’t in line for anything bigger in the wwe, and I’ve read a snippet from an article recently that WWE guys aren’t getting the big pay raises they were seeing prior to COVID anymore. So being paid similar, working with close friends, and booked in another potential big spot could lure him in.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

I'm not necessarily saying I want Cole in AEW, but I cannot imagine a safer bet for somebody to jump ship. A quick Google search says Sami Zayn's contract is up this summer/fall. THAT would be somebody I'd wanna see switch companies. Daniel Bryan is apparently in the same boat but I doubt he'd turn down whatever truckload of money HHH will offer. 

Honestly, besides Cesaro, there aren't a huge number of WWE men I'd wanna see sign with AEW. I'd rather see some indy dudes and truly SO many WWE/NXT/indy women. That division needs so much help, whereas the men's roster is solid. 

• Like 3

My dream defect would be Joe Anoa’i and Tyler Black showing up and joining forces with Jon Moxley unofficially reforming The Shield but I know that’s not very likely.

Adam Cole showing up in a year and a half, I don’t wanna say it’s likely I don’t follow NXT but fro what I understand he’s a top guy on the brand. If I had to guess I’d say it’d have to come down to if NXT was his ceiling in The WWE or not and how frustrated Cole is with that by the time his contract comes up or not. 

Honestly I’d be interesting to see what The Undisputed Era’s contracts come up what they decide to do. I think they are all way too small to be booked in any serious on the main roster. capacity. Though all five of them showing up in AEW at the same time would bloat the roster but if they had the 2nd show by then maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad thing.

Edited by Web Conn

50 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

My dream defect would be Joe Anoa’i and Tyler Black showing up and joining forces with Jon Moxley unofficially reforming The Shield but I know that’s not very likely.

Adam Cole showing up in a year and a half, I don’t wanna say it’s likely I don’t follow NXT but fro what I understand he’s a top guy on the brand. If I had to guess I’d say it’d have to come down to if NXT was his ceiling in The WWE or not and how frustrated Cole is with that by the time his contract comes up or not. 

Honestly I’d be interesting to see what The Undisputed Era’s contracts come up what they decide to do. I think they are all way too small to be booked in any serious on the main roster. capacity. Though all five of them showing up in AEW at the same time would bloat the roster but if they had the 2nd show by then maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad thing.

Big roster aside, I'd sign up for every one of the Undisputed Era guys in a heartbeat (though Roddy Strong probably needs to be in the group to bring value). The NXT era from 2015 to the summer of 2019 (predating start of AEW) was a ton of fun, and Undisputed Era were a huge part of the latter half of that. On that note, I'm also badly hoping for Tommy End/Aleister Black to join AEW, and would enjoy many others in AEW from that roster (but understand that there are roster limits, even with a second show). While there are definitely differences from that era of NXT and AEW, I'd argue that a similar mindset of smart. long-term booking, guys actually having fun and mostly being themselves, and not doing shocking things just for shock value have established AEW as a major promotion.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2021 at 11:57 PM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It's not like I don't wanna see that, but if the pieces are in place for the forbidden door to be opened, I think there are way cooler matches you could run

given how much Jay likes Florida, I don't think it's out of the question he bolts NJPW for AEW if AEW offers enough.

As great as Jay is in NJPW, I suspect he'd be even better in American-style wrestling.

He's the one guy I'd break the bank for if I was in charge of AEW, (my next choice would be Alexander Hammerstone)

Edited by alstein
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, alstein said:

given how much Jay likes Florida, I don't think it's out of the question he bolts NJPW for AEW if AEW offers enough.

As great as Jay is in NJPW, I suspect he'd be even better in American-style wrestling.

He's the one guy I'd break the bank for if I was in charge of AEW, (my next choice would be Alexander Hammerstone)

I believe I've seen that dude on a random episode of CWFH and enjoyed him, good call.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Honestly, besides Cesaro, there aren't a huge number of WWE men I'd wanna see sign with AEW. I'd rather see some indy dudes and truly SO many WWE/NXT/indy women. That division needs so much help, whereas the men's roster is solid. 

One of my favorite aspects of AEW has been guys arriving by obscurity, and impressing me either on the main show, or Dark. So I’m with you. If there is talent out there, then go after it. I still would like some established stars on short term deals, in a different setting from time to time. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see some guys switch bases for varieties sake. Namely the ones you mentioned.

Chris Van Vliet? He's worked for AEW before, when they hadn't decided who to use as full time backstage interviewer. They used Alicia Atout early on as well, between her Impact and MLW runs. Mostly interviews Wrestlers on YouTube though.

Meltzer mentioned that Riho's working Stardom but hasn't been involved in any big matches/programs because AEW "won't allow" her to lose.  Sigh.  They really are intent on recreating WCW, aren't they?

The idea that Riho is too important to AEW to do jobs in another promotion seems dubious to me, but it is what it is.

I look at the AEW Roster page a lot because I cannot remember who is next for the scouting report and noticed Preston Vance's current lifetime record. 

10-10

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 1/1/2021 at 10:18 PM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I've gotta wonder if we get one more Cody/Dustin tag team run before Dustin hangs it up, and if so, maybe they'll get a quick title reign (though generally speaking, AEW has been pretty good about not hotshotting titles around for quick ones). 

As far as a Cody world title reign, I see four possible scenarios:

1) a semi-illogical situation where the Champion goads him into breaking the stip for reasons unknown. Probably something that we'll all roll our eyes at like "Cody, I know you're such a great and honorable guy who always keeps his word, but I *need* to defend my belt against you because it's the *biggest match possible*"

2) At some point post-vaccine when we have crowds again, Cody becomes so popular that the fans demand it - maybe they put it to a fan vote, worked or otherwise - whether this is months or years from now or ever even happens at all (organically, anyway) is anyone's guess. 

3) The extremely cheap yet extremely effective move of turning heel and saying "What about the stip? Who gives a shit - I'm an EVP and I can do whatever I want" to a chorus of boos from people who are about to go home and tweet about how AEW is JUST LIKE WCW IN 2000. 

4) Cody legitimately never challenges for it and retires content as a 12 time TNT Champion, 8 time Tag champion, 5-time FTW champion, and 3x Dynamite Diamond winner

5) Whatever Omega and Callis have up their sleeves makes Omega a threat to not just AEW but all of wrestling, and only Cody can stop them~!

• Like 3