DVDVR Message Board

2021 IMPACT WRESTLING THREAD

No idea what section this belongs to but apparently Sammy Guevara was pulled from the last IMPACT tapings because he didn't want anything to do with it but did it so he wouldn't get heat from AEW.   But didn't end up using him and now he still has heat with AEW and IMPACT.    It was IMPACT decision to not use him which given how stale the product is seems pretty dumb.  I mean I don't blame Sammy not wanted to work for IMPACT but if the rumor is that Jericho was the one who thought of it then he definitely fucked up 

That's stupid.

Let's see, we've got a creepy kooky couple of weirdos, one of whom thinks she's possessed by a demon/spirit and another of whom is surnamed "Crazzy" with two Zs. We need an enforcer! So do we stick them with A. the giant black-headed minotaur man who stomps the shit out of everyone or B. talented, sexy young heel wrestler who is probably better having a competitive match with somebody. 

B! 

Yeah that's really dumb. *insert drunk Jericho joke here*

I think you're missing the (presumed) idea here. It wasn't to have Sammy join Decay, it was to have Sammy do whatever Black Tarus is going to end up doing on the tapings. That could be feuding with someone or winning a title or whatever.

EDIT: Also, Black Tarus was already with Decay for a few weeks now, so either way the story wouldn't have been Sammy replacing Tarus in Decay.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Casey said:

I think you're missing the (presumed) idea here. It wasn't to have Sammy join Decay, it was to have Sammy do whatever Black Tarus is going to end up doing on the tapings. That could be feuding with someone or winning a title or whatever.

EDIT: Also, Black Tarus was already with Decay for a few weeks now, so either way the story wouldn't have been Sammy replacing Tarus in Decay.

Thanks. I forgot these things are taped weeks in advance. 

So, on that Sammy Guevara tip from earlier in the week: We've all read about him (and others) not liking the booking that was in place for him. It was apparently only a short term deal, to last the duration of these tapings (to give the appearance he was in Impact now, not AEW after leaving the Inner Circle). He counter-offered their booking plans with his idea of... winning the X-Division title, returning to AEW, never losing it, then Impact stripping him of the title and them crowning a new champion via a tournament. Needless to say, nobody liked that idea, so he was told to go home.

Jericho set this up for Sammy through Don Callis, and for a brief minute things didn't look so good for the AEW/Impact relationship, but it's all been smoothed over now apparently.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Out of curiosity where did you read that from?

On Reddit it's attributed to the Observer. 

Sammy's response:

After all the talk of how AEW really doesn't gain anything from the relationship, the mental image of Sammy strutting in there and demanding a belt that he'll never drop is kind of hilarious. My compliments to whoever fed this one to Dave. 

• Like 1

Yeah, it's not that I don't believe it but I just have a hard time believing that even Sammy with his ego would pull something like this.  Especially since I never really heard that said about him either in AEW or anywhere before it.  Now he's been dumb in many other ways (not worth getting into that here) but not sure about this one.

Here's the latest from f4wonline today. Sounds like Dave and Bryan have different sources.

It's long, so going to spoiler.

Spoiler

Following a disagreement with creative before a short term Impact Wrestling run, Sammy Guevara isn't expected to return to the company according to Dave Meltzer in this week's Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

Following his on-screen departure from the Inner Circle on Dynamite, the AEW standout arrived in Nashville, TN, to work the February 9-11 Impact tapings to begin an angle. However, that didn't happen due to a disgreement about what he would be doing.

What happened regarding that situation is still unclear depending on what side is telling the story. Bryan Alvarez discussed the situation on Friday's Wrestling Observer Live with some information from people close to Guevara.

One story Meltzer could not confirm in the newsletter was that Guevara was set to be part of a six man tag on this Tuesday's show where the winning team would move on to a three way match for an X-Division title shot. That match would have paired him with Ace Austin and Chris Bey against Willie Mack, Josh Alexander and Trey Miguel. Austin and Bey will team with Black Taurus instead.

Alvarez's sources said they indeed wanted Guevara to be in tag matches. However, Guevara didn't think that made sense because one of the points of leaving The Inner Circle was to go out on his own.

According to Meltzer's sources, Guevara reportedly suggested winning the X-Division title before returning to AEW with it. He would never lose the title and it would then be stripped at some point and put up for grabs in a tournament.

Alvarez's sources said Guevara did have an idea about winning the title, but it didn't involve not losing the title or taking it to AEW. At that point, Impact wasn't wasn't going for any of his ideas and it was a "their way or the highway" type situation.

Meltzer reported that Guevara was going to win three matches at the tapings, adding that Chris Jericho and Don Callis came up with the initial angle and whatever happened made them look bad. Guevara was only scheduled for that set of tapings.

Alvarez's sources said he was never going to win three matches. The idea was that he would lose some matches and get beaten down, eventually winning and then get beaten down again. 

Meltzer said, "Impact was really mad about AEW sending talent over, putting plans in place and then the talent wouldn’t do what was planned. Everything appears to be smoothed over now, but there are those in Impact who said that the company was not happy at first with how it went down and could have impacted relationships."

Alvarez's sources said Guevara called someone in AEW (he presumed Tony Khan) to discuss what was happening and expressed his opinions about the situation.

Guevara hasn't spoken publicly about whatever happened, other than a tweet with a quick clip from a recent vlog.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The idea that Sammy would leave AEW to join Impact because of the Inner Circle fallout honestly doesn’t sound bad. Having to team with someone in order to get to a three way against your partners really doesn’t conflict with a ‘going it alone’ storyline. Him winning the title to show he can make it on his own would be fine but leaving with it would be terrible. 

• Like 1

Okay so Bound for Glory 2011 is gonna be on before Impact next Tuesday. I looked at the details on the guide and apparently they actually redid the disastrous Starrcade main event of Sting vs. Hogan ? Have to ask, how awful was it? What were the stakes? Was it just "we disappointed you back then but our bad, let's make it up to ya"? Did Sting work on Hogan with some kinda Christian guilt complex about screwing the fans? I mean it just HAD to be the shits, right?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Okay so Bound for Glory 2011 is gonna be on before Impact next Tuesday. I looked at the details on the guide and apparently they actually redid the disastrous Starrcade main event of Sting vs. Hogan ? Have to ask, how awful was it? What were the stakes? Was it just "we disappointed you back then but our bad, let's make it up to ya"? Did Sting work on Hogan with some kinda Christian guilt complex about screwing the fans? I mean it just HAD to be the shits, right?

It's amazing. One of my favorite matches/moments in TNA history. Like what Starrcade should've been only years later and older. The stakes was for Control of the Company and Sting would leave if he lost. In media interviews leading up to it, Hogan openly talked about how he was not going to bump in the match due to his back surgeries, so when he actually does end up taking three bumps, it felt like that much of a bigger deal it was great. I love a good oldschool bloody brawl with legends (Nash/Foley in 09 is also great). The post-match angle is really what puts it all over the top, one of the greatest crowd pops in TNA history and a total blast to watch play out. Definite recommend! This show kind of kicked off one of my all time favorite eras of TNA from here to BFG 2012.

• Like 6