DVDVR Message Board

RING OF HONOR in 2021

I was in the MLW premier chat when I heard about RoH.  I'm kinda sad but it's been on a downward spiral for a long time.   I hope that the dudes find other feds to work in, but I hope TK doesn't do the stupid thing and buy the federation.   Roster packing and overextending is what killed WCW.  

I also hope that Vince doesn't buy the tape library.  That would really make me angry.

For those unable to listen/watch the video Natural posted

This is all from Meltzer unless otherwise noted

- They will no longer be using contracted talent and instead be running basically like an independent.

- Their (ROH) goal is to bring in "top indie" guys based on their availability on the night's ROH is taping. Doing this model will not allow them to protect guys from going to WWE or AEW while appearing on their own TV so it will be harder to protect continuity and tough to make champions.

- "It will be in their best interests for their champion to be signed with someone they do business with."

- It is tough because WWE has cut back on who and how many people they are signing and, to quote, Dave "How many people does AEW need?" He then says "they already have enough guys like Tony Nese".

- Unsure how much TV they will tape at the last TV taping but once that runs out, the TV shows will be all archival footage

- Talent was told because the news was announced

Dave then spent A LOT of time randomly speculating where guys might end up

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hammerva said:

It is easy to blame Adam Pearce for the downward spiral but they recovered well once he left.   What killed the current version of Ring of Honor was the birth of AEW.   They built their entire product on the backs of Cody, Omega, Young Bucks, and Marty Scurill and when 4 of them left to start AEW that product was a wasteland of unproven stars not ready for the main events and veterans that never left and got stale.    2019 Ring of Honor might be their worst year ever in terms of product and opinion by the fans.  We remember seeing those live events that held around 5,000 people barely having 400.      Then the pandemic happened and they barely ran in 2020 to rebuilt themselves.    

Clearly the Elite exodus didn't help ROH, but they also didn't help themselves.  I always appreciated ROH's commitment to presenting workrate 'pro wrestling' over 'sports entertainment', but the product never, or very very rarely, ever felt cool.  Where as the live events were consistently excellent, the TV show was consistently lame.  They also suffered from terrible booking choices eg. Matt Taven's championship run as the big fallout from their huge MSG show.  You could certainly argue that AEW hurt them (talent wise), but it could and should have helped them (more interest in workrate wrestling).  The Sinclair Broadcasting association didn't help them from an ethical point of view.  I'm sure there were more than few ppl who decided not to spend money or support a company associated with that disreputable organization.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maria's social media post leads me to believe that the women's division is going to be an afterthought (or ran by someone other than her)  Do we get a Chikara style ending at Final Battle where someone shows up and just destroys everything and everyone? How do you end a ppv when your next "planned" show isn't until April?  

20 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

The Sinclair Broadcasting association didn't help them from an ethical point of view.  I'm sure there were more than few ppl who decided not to spend money or support a company associated with that disreputable organization.

Yep, I'm definitely one of them.  I know I said a couple things when Sinclair were going full 1984 at the time.  But when Joe Koff said to me "If you don't like it then stop watching" I took his advice alright.  If it was literally anybody else that owned ROH I would have tried to watch them more.

While the All In show was the beginning of the end for Ring of Honor, that MSG show at Wrestlemania weekend was the moment people realized this company was in serious trouble.   When they announced the show it didn't seem that bad.  It might have been great on the New Japan side of things I can't remember one good thing that happened on the Ring of Honor side of things.  

1.  Taven winning the title.  Although I still claim that the roster was so barren at the time he was the only real option

2.  The debut of Allure who basically went scorched earth on the women's division since they were associated with Bully Ray

3.  The run in of Enzo and Cass that went absolutely nowhere. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Also - and I am assuming the person who made the original comment was doing it tongue in cheek - but the reason a lot of folks (think AEW talent) are able to work PWG is because they don't have TV. (I mean there are other factors too)

• Like 1

So, RoH is reverting back to the original "Super Indy dream matches to sell tapes" model, except that every indy has outlets to get their matches out so there aren't a ton of dream matches left.  

Honestly, besides providing paychecks for a few people (and it sounds like those folks might be just as well off taking indie bookings somewhere else those weekends), is there any real need for ROH to come back?  It's likely going to be a shadow of its former self next year, which is... redundant?..... because it's been a shadow of its former self for a long time. 

I basically feel like 2022 ROH like I did about post-shutdown Chikara.  Thanks for the memories, but everyone except you has moved on, so.....

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

The ROH tape library is also available and will go to the highest bidder. ROH has been privately trying to move the library (the Sinclair-owned archive from 2012 on) for more than a year. That includes the All In pay-per-view in September ’18, which was the precursor to AEW. (While AEW owns the trademark, it is ROH that owns the footage.) SI learned that the company is asking for much more than the current market dictates.

https://www.si.com/wrestling/2021/10/28/ring-of-honor-future-sinclair-broadcasting

11 hours ago, hammerva said:

While the All In show was the beginning of the end for Ring of Honor, that MSG show at Wrestlemania weekend was the moment people realized this company was in serious trouble.   When they announced the show it didn't seem that bad.  It might have been great on the New Japan side of things I can't remember one good thing that happened on the Ring of Honor side of things.  

1.  Taven winning the title.  Although I still claim that the roster was so barren at the time he was the only real option

2.  The debut of Allure who basically went scorched earth on the women's division since they were associated with Bully Ray

3.  The run in of Enzo and Cass that went absolutely nowhere. 

I was at that show. I don't remember 1 and 2. From where I was sitting, I wasn't even sure who was doing the run in.

That was the last ROH show that I went to. I went to a bunch of TV at the ECW Arena on comps, saw a few shows with Japanese guest wrestlers. I always watched the TV when possible. I currently watch the "Classics" show on Fight Network. But it still kind of sucks that I might never see them again.

Is the place with the final PPV the FKA Baltimore Arena? Every place has become "Some Corporate Name Arena". It is hard to keep up.

3 hours ago, D.Z said:

I think Cary Silkin.

he does but the big issue is the licensed music for the entrances on these shows.  Which is why you have a lot of the edited versions on Honor Club that really bring down the product as a whole.  I have all of the DVD's from that era and had considered selling them but knowing that will be the only way probably ever to watch them in complete form is making it hard to pull the trigger.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ka-to said:

Is the place with the final PPV the FKA Baltimore Arena? Every place has become "Some Corporate Name Arena". It is hard to keep up.

No, it's where the UMBC Men's and Women's basketball teams play their games. ROH has been using that building for a few years now and throughout the pandemic.

https://www.chesapeakeemployersinsurancearena.com/

The Baltimore Arena that you mentioned is now called Royal Farms Arena.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Peck said:

No, it's where the UMBC Men's and Women's basketball teams play their games. ROH has been using that building for a few years now and throughout the pandemic.

https://www.chesapeakeemployersinsurancearena.com/

The Baltimore Arena that you mentioned is now called Royal Farms Arena.

I took my kid to Avengers on Ice at the RFA.  It's not a bad venue for a wrestling card. 

UMBC is also a pretty decent venue.  

Edited by J.T.