DVDVR Message Board

RING OF HONOR in 2021

On 7/12/2021 at 6:09 PM, John E. Dynamite said:

I love Hero but he's never going to have a look for TV and his style greatly benefits from having more time to work & and a smarter crowd to take it in. I think RoH is a reasonably good fit for Hero - but I think Hero is an even better fit for RoH, if you will. They lost so much ground during the pandemic, no way they're ever gonna be the #2 company in the US again, they should make moves to be a super indie again. Hero's a step in that direction regardless of how they use him.

They can't be #2, but they can be #3, and something more than a super indie.   I think they've got a good niche for themselves right now, they just need to reinforce and keep going the direction they're doing.  They're doing things right.

So ROH decided "our Women's division was the drizzling shits, let's get all the good freelancers and have a tourney". We start with Alize vs. Garcia which is a nice, short, chippy affair that ends with a mean knee. Then we have Mazzarati vs. Nicole Savoy (former Shimmer champ) which has Savoy showing off some mean joint manipulation and submission work until she decides to just head-drop Mazz to death. It also included this priceless exchange:

Mazzarati: "NOT THE WEAVE!"

Riccaboni: "What, is her hair not really blue?"

Caprice: "There's a lot of things we have to talk about, Riccaboni."

Your main is Sumie Sakai vs. Rok-C and they show a photo of a ten-year old Rok-C with Brodie Lee which is a total kick in the nuts. Be prepared for that. 

Rok-C is your 19 year old wunderkind so Sumie flashes back to her training days and decides to just torture her back. At one point she wraps her up in a Texas Cloverleaf and turns it into a backcracker which is wild. They flub some strikes toward the end but it's otherwise fine and the right person wins. 

Ooof, we get Mandy Leon vs. Quinn again next week. I fear the fit Mandy is gonna throw when Quinn gets the fluke pin. This tourney is starting well and it's gonna be fun having a couple weeks of this. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 3:25 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Your main is Sumie Sakai vs. Rok-C and they show a photo of a ten-year old Rok-C with Brodie Lee which is a total kick in the nuts. Be prepared for that. 

Rok-C is your 19 year old wunderkind so Sumie flashes back to her training days and decides to just torture her back. At one point she wraps her up in a Texas Cloverleaf and turns it into a backcracker which is wild. They flub some strikes toward the end but it's otherwise fine and the right person wins. 

Rok-C is soooo the best in this division.  I don't think Sumie Sukai has had as watchable a match as this since she was in J'd.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

And there it is: The ECW arena has officially been ruled less scummy than the entire godforsaken state of Florida.

Having been to both many times over the course of my life, I can say with certainty, that this statement has always been true.

Even before the people that now own the 2300 cleaned it up.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Did they ever put in an AC unit? 

When I went for Evolve they sure did.  Was almost disappointed in how it wasn't the sweatbox that it used to be.  Then again the announcer was all over the place and the back of his jacket was completely soaked in sweat.

• Like 1

Max the Impaler vs Holidead! I thoroughly enjoyed this match. I wouldn't want to run into Max in a dark alley and Holidead is just crazy enough to throw hands with her. Max is going to be the monster in this thing, so them winning was fairly academic but Holidead put up a hell of a fight in a losing effort.

The ten man tag had some fun moments: old rivalries renewed. Gresham trying to outgrapple everybody he got into the ring with... everybody hates Flip (kinda like IRL OH SNAP). Of course, since Flip is getting the title shot coming up, he winds up snaking his way into getting the win for his team as VILEN... er, Violence Unlimited brawled with the Briscoes on the outside.

Pretty solid show.

• Like 1

Finally catching up with the last two episodes.

WEEKEND BEFORE LAST: QUINN WINS! QUINN WINS! QUINN WINS! And her celebration is perfect, with the goofy waving of arms as she runs to hug the announce desk. Marti Belle and Trish Adora have a pretty physical and pretty technical match. Trish has that awkward lankiness that reminds me of Charlotte. I dig Violence Unlimited (I am not abbreviating that either) beating on the luchadores but when Bandido and Horus take control the flying is a bit sloppy. Bandido does gorilla press Chris freakin' Dickinson over the top which is impressive. ROOSH runs out, tears Bandido's mask completely off and wears him out with a chair to prove he's still the main bastard in ROH. 

LAST WEEKEND: The announce team use Max's proper pronouns though Caprice screws up once or twice and corrects himself without bringing it up. This is at least as clubbering as your average NOAH outing but Max is practically Vader in this situation, even goes up for a big German like Leon used to. Holidead makes for a great matchup, fierce stuff. Apparently on the ROH website the most people voted for a Champions vs. All-Stars tag in some poll so we get a big ten-man. Basically if you like any of the guys involved here you should like it. ECIII apparently has changed being the red-headed stepchild to part of his gimmick since he's left WWE. The end is real real stupid though as everyone brawls out and then practically crawl under the ring to disappear for Flip and Homicide to finish. SO dumb. 

Two more ladies tourney matches and Horus vs. Flamita picking up where they left off next week. 

I can't remember the timing of the announcements, but I kind of feel for ROH this weekend having limited eyeballs because their shows are going H2H with SD/AEW and then Summerslam tomorrow night. I might reup HonorClub and watch both nights when I have time this week.

Man don't feel bad they are in syndication on two different channels over here! Sinclair has them as regular filler. I get FOUR AIRINGS that end up recording on my DVR every weekend.

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot Glory by Honor is what you were talking about. As the Church Lady would say, "Nevermind."

Edited by Curt McGirt

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot Glory by Honor is what you were talking about. As the Church Lady would say, "Nevermind."

When I checked the time stamps for the show starts, I thought "they'll at least do a day show on Saturday with Summerslam like they would for Mania on Sunday."

Nope!

Edited by Chaos
spelling

Despite a little spot-calling that would have been spared by farther camera shots at the beginning, Rok-C vs. Quinn was really good! Quinn's bad leg coming back into play at the end was the best. On the other hand Savoy/Alize was just terrible. Over-cooperative, sloppy horseshit with barely any contact on strikes. They've known each other long enough to have something better than this, according to the announcers. I hate to say it, but: Bad, bad, bad.

Horus and Flamita are working on their feud in an empty vacuum here. That has to be hard but Horus is not afraid to risk concussion. Riccaboni has a line about not messing with "your money or your emotions" so I think he caught Friday on TV again the other day. Flamita absolutely DESTROYS Horus with a Spanish Fly that is more like a Uranage off the top through the table. If they can construct it right, this will be a hell of a match in front of a crowd, just... don't give them too much furniture. 

I got a Honorclub sub this weekend. I got tempted by the Quinn McKay weekend recap videos, and Cubsfan tweeting about the shows. 

My impressions of the two shows, plus all the recap stuff I’ve seen all year is that Gresham really wants to bring back Ring of Honor to its old identity of the “serious wrestling company”. Fifteeen years ago I could see the issues with that since the filming of the shows looked so cheap, and run down in comparison to the live experience, and other smaller indie promotions that were using better equipment. Especially at the height of the companies popularity you had Leonard & Prazak sounding like they recorded shows in a closet(Which probably was the case), and the house lights making everything washed out. Here with a modern TV budget it comes together a lot better, and closer to the vision of a serious promotion trying to emulate the international work rate promotions tape traders loved.

What hinders the current promotion though might be the roster isn’t dynamic enough, and a little repetitive if you’ve followed two, or three promotions that book Chris Dickerson as the exact same character. Same goes with a few other guys too.

Still I came away from it thinking the promotion came off as very unique from the current crop of “#3”streaming/TV promotions, and really enjoyable after night 2. That’s when their star luchadors really came off as stars. The main event was a surprising highlight too, that looked to build a credible title contender. The undercard, and parts of the top is where ROH suffers the most, as they seem to be relying on okay(And probably affordable) talent to fill the roster, or(like I said) guys who I’ve seen elsewhere too much. This was most notable on Night 1. As the main event did not feel like a “MAIN EVENT”, as well as the other matches in the back half leading into it did not feel supplementary enough to it.

I’ll probably stick with this longer. I did notice the first TV episode after the PPV was part of a crowd less taping, and that turned me off, but they do come across better than IMPACT’s candy colored crowd less studio tapings.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

That was a waste. They could’ve gone with a hot opener instead. 

There is this kid in GCW, goes by Starboy Charlie. He’s one of the best young in-ring talents currently unsigned. If I was ROH, I’d look to at least give him some demo matches, along with guys he’s worked with on the scene to spice up the undercard. Dalton Castle, and Silas Young showcases on one of your big events aren’t exactly keeping me awake.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Dalton Castle, and Silas Young showcases on one of your big events aren’t exactly keeping me awake.

Thank you. I like Silas, but I think he would do good on an extended indie tour.

Now I’m not saying they should stop booking either. I just don’t see a point of booking them to open up a show in slow paced singles matches. This should be where you get four young, and reckless guys teaming with them in six-man tags to heat up the fans. 

I get maybe they are trying to do the Japanese thing of building a card slowly, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try to put something dazzling on to curtain jerk. I hope because maybe Rush, and his brother are leaving they aren’t thinking of abandoning luchadors. If the Mask Republic story is true, they’ll have plenty of luchadors they could book to help fill the gaps on the roster.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

10 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That was a waste. They could’ve gone with a hot opener instead. 

There is this kid in GCW, goes by Starboy Charlie. He’s one of the best young in-ring talents currently unsigned. If I was ROH, I’d look to at least give him some demo matches, along with guys he’s worked with on the scene to spice up the undercard. Dalton Castle, and Silas Young showcases on one of your big events aren’t exactly keeping me awake.

Gimme Ninja Mack as well and we can call it a day.