DVDVR Message Board

RING OF HONOR in 2021

Hell of a fall for Marty Scurll. A part of NJPW Jr. Heavyweight division with connections to AEW but decided on ROH with a multi-year contract/head booker role. Through the Speaking Out movement, ROH and Marty part ways and he's stuck in limbo with nobody taking him on yet. I only liked the Villain look and using the Crossface Chickenwing. Felt that way even before Speaking Out.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

As it stands, I'd say AEW's out. Impact Wrestling as well getting rid of Joey Ryan/Michael Elgin. NJPW and the UK scene seen the likely destinations. The coronavirus is still rampant with people catching it, dying of it and travel restrictions. If Marty leaves the USA, you'd think he'll have a difficult time getting back. WWE maybe? MLW?

Add Tracy Williams to the list of those re-signing

Dalton Castle, however, is a free agent. He does have an offer from ROH (reportedly) but has not accepted it yet

2 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I hesitate to ask, but what's Flip done now? 

Apparently, someone claiming to be him is now on Parler but it appears to be a fake account.

Oh man, the best episode of ROH in a while.  They should make ROH like Big Japan-  the Pure title would be like the Strong Style division and the Lucha Libre/international style would be like the death match stuff at the top.  Flip Gordon brings out the best Rhett Titus match I've seen.  Rey Horus vs Dragon Lee was fucking great state of the art Lucha match.  HUZZAH!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2021 at 4:28 PM, alstein said:

Scurll would have to move FT to Japan to have career, and that's if NJPW wants him.   Maybe in the short term he pops up on Strong?

They did set up a match against White before pandemic hit so in theory that could be a big program for Strong. I don't want it to happen, but I admit, I'm kinda curious how the wrestling world would react to it.

Edited by Archibald

6 hours ago, Archibald said:

They did set up a match against White before pandemic hit so in theory that could be a big program for Strong. I don't want it to happen, but I admit, I'm kinda curious how the wrestling world would react to it.

It would be catered to the Western fans, who would absolutely shit on it.  The Western NJPW crowd cares about these issues- it's why Elgin got canned, they couldn't use him outside of Japan.

I was at the show where that match was set up.  It was a huge pop.

Edited by alstein

On 1/17/2021 at 12:24 PM, DEAN said:

Oh man, the best episode of ROH in a while.  They should make ROH like Big Japan-  the Pure title would be like the Strong Style division and the Lucha Libre/international style would be like the death match stuff at the top.  Flip Gordon brings out the best Rhett Titus match I've seen.  Rey Horus vs Dragon Lee was fucking great state of the art Lucha match.  HUZZAH!

That's not a bad idea, and I like the concept of the Pure division. The only problem is the matches I've seen from it are dull as dishwater. I went ahead and skipped Flip/Titus not only because of that but also because Rhett Titus is really ugly, and not in a good wrestling way (sorry dude). The main was a really solid lucharesu match though. Pretty stiff, and the bruise/swelling that Horus got on his back was nasty. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another good episode this week. Good seeing Cheeseburger again, I guess he's lost the skinny jobber gimmick for something more flavorful (pardon the pun). He eats a wicked piledriver. Then the eight-man turns into a tornado tag which turns into a wild brawl/spotfest with PCO exploding a table with his cannonball. Then you look and there's a single full bottle of Gatorade sitting right next to him that didn't even get knocked over! Everyone lays it in too which is nice, and PCO hits an insane sidewalk slam on I think Dragon Lee. 

I skipped over the opening stuff with the Bruiser though. I like him but keep him far away from the circle of Chris Barnes up there with his dreadlocks and lame Manson rap. What happened to Brian Milonas? 

23 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Then the eight-man turns into a tornado tag which turns into a wild brawl/spotfest with PCO exploding a table with his cannonball. Then you look and there's a single full bottle of Gatorade sitting right next to him that didn't even get knocked over! Everyone lays it in too which is nice, and PCO hits an insane sidewalk slam on I think Dragon Lee. 

That match was awesome.  My only question is-  are they trying to turn Flip Gordon face?  Good luck pulling that off.