DVDVR Message Board

2021 INDIE WRESTLING

That DPW show in January with Yuu vs. Ryo is paywalled behind a $20 patreon membership. They are trying to get their ppv/big shows on a platform other than that but it hasn't gone well. I'm guessing highspots network and iwtv don't pay well at all. I'm already a $10 tier patron/hogdipper but I don't know man. Holding out hope they find something soon because that sucks. 

• Like 1

AEW needs to bring that Masha vs.KiLynn goodness to a 20 minute Dark main event.

Either that or we need to tweet Dustin Starr and have him book them for CWFA.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Jiji said:

That DPW show in January with Yuu vs. Ryo is paywalled behind a $20 patreon membership. They are trying to get their ppv/big shows on a platform other than that but it hasn't gone well. I'm guessing highspots network and iwtv don't pay well at all. I'm already a $10 tier patron/hogdipper but I don't know man. Holding out hope they find something soon because that sucks. 

I think I asked before on this forum how IWTV pays people and I believe the answer is, it's essentially consignment.  As in, they pay a certain amount when someone watches your show.  That might be wrong and I'd love for anyone here who might be more in the know to reiterate or explain in better detail.  If that's the case, it kind of sucks because I can't imagine some of the more obscure stuff getting many views.  That's probably why companies like Paradigm sell sponsorships as well.

I hope they succeed so we get the eventual show entitled DPW: Take the Dog to Hell.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I think I asked before on this forum how IWTV pays people and I believe the answer is, it's essentially consignment.  As in, they pay a certain amount when someone watches your show.  That might be wrong and I'd love for anyone here who might be more in the know to reiterate or explain in better detail.  If that's the case, it kind of sucks because I can't imagine some of the more obscure stuff getting many views.  That's probably why companies like Paradigm sell sponsorships as well.

I hope they succeed so we get the eventual show entitled DPW: Take the Dog to Hell.

I remember for sure they pay based on views. No idea what the scale is and I’m sure the more obscure shows get pennies at best. I’d be very curious how many views the top shows are getting and how much the companies make from it. 

• Thanks 1

Went to the Deadlock Pro Wrestling Fire Volume 1 taping in Jacksonville NC, had a great time.

As far as I know there's a bunch of wrestlers from the Nightmare Factory school and Carolina Wrestling Academy.  There's also some DPW/newLegacyinc favorites like Luther, Andrew Everett, and Rosemary.  Chitchatting with some in the crowd, overwhelmingly everyone's a DPW fan which isn't all that surprising.  Probably 100-150 total in the crowd, and it was a very positive/upbeat crowd that didn't go out of its way to needle people for hiccups. My understanding is that the matches will be on YouTube down the line.

I'm not going to do much spoilering, mostly because the matches in parts were a blur and I've found myself getting some parts completely wrong when talking with others at the show.  

That being said:

Spoiler

1) Got to see a bunch of people live for the first time, and I was highly entertained.  People who I really enjoyed that I didn't know a lot of until I got there included Bojack, Kevin Ku, Kidd Bandit, and Calvin Tankman.

2) Really enjoyed the Rosemary/Andrew Everett match!  Probably my favorite of the initial eliminator tourney matches.

3) There wasn't live commentary, and they definitely were not huddled in a separate area doing a live dubbing of the commentary.  John Blud and Pulse were in the area behind hard cam popping continuously, Tony generally was working merch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.bodyslam.net/2021/12/12/independent-wrestler-hannibal-assaults-referee-with-a-spike/

So what’s the story with Hannibal/Devon Nicholson? I see the name pop up a lot and he’s all over YouTube with worked shoot garbage with various legends and then stuff like this. I believe this is the dude that sued Abby for bleeding on him, not knowing that Abby had Hep C? It’s just one fucked up thing after another. Not sure I’ve ever even seen him work, though.

Sulli doesn’t look very good coming out of this, either. 

4 hours ago, Shane said:

https://www.bodyslam.net/2021/12/12/independent-wrestler-hannibal-assaults-referee-with-a-spike/

So what’s the story with Hannibal/Devon Nicholson? I see the name pop up a lot and he’s all over YouTube with worked shoot garbage with various legends and then stuff like this. I believe this is the dude that sued Abby for bleeding on him, not knowing that Abby had Hep C? It’s just one fucked up thing after another. Not sure I’ve ever even seen him work, though.

Sulli doesn’t look very good coming out of this, either. 

I'd never heard of this guy until tonight but looking at his cagematch it he's apparently been around for almost 20 years. Looks like he books shows where he pays former WWE guys to put him over? One of the other refs at the show gave an account of what happened and it sounds like he was trying to pull a New Jack on someone for youtube clicks - https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/retb6r/comment/ho9q4ih/  He's clearly a sucmbag of the highest order.

Full write up from WON

Referee Lando Deltoro is recovering from multiple lacerations suffered at the hands of indie wrestler Devon Nicholson during a World Class Pro Wrestling show in Irving, Texas, Saturday.

Nicholson, in a mask and wrestling under the name Blood Hunter, had planned a spot with Deltoro where the referee was to be bloodied up after a run-in following Nicholson's match with former WWE star Carlito. Instead, Nicholson lacerated him using what appeared to be a spike of some sort, hitting his head repeatedly and tearing an artery in the process.

Nicholson posted the video on his own YouTube channel, but later removed it although it has popped up elsewhere. Deltoro shared an image of the bloody hospital bed where he was stitched up and an image of himself after the work was done. His daughter happened to be in the crowd that night as well.

The promotion announced Sunday that they will no longer use Nicholson and will do a benefit show in the future to help with his medical bills. A GoFundMe has been started to help with Deltoro's medical bills.

Charges have not been filed against Nicholson and he has not addressed the matter on social media even though he has posted videos and tweets since then.

Colby Cowperthwaite, the referee for the match, posted on Reddit that he knew something was "off" with Nicholson even before the match started and told Carlito to end things quickly. He said he observed Nicholson stumbling, both before he came out and coming into the ring and that no one could find him backstage for nearly ten minutes before he was set to go out.

After Cowperthwaite went to the back as intended during a post-match brawl, Deltoro was sent out for the attack spot which was the only reason why he was there. It's believed Deltoro used his own blade, but that it didn't work as anticipated. Cowperthwaite said he thinks Nicholson was upset that he wasn't bleeding from his own attempts so he decided to do it himself with his own device.

Cowperthwaite called 911 when he got to the back and later spoke to police who were on site for nearly an hour even though he said booker Kevin Sullivan told him to "kayfabe the cops." He believes Nicholson hid the weapon "because as long as he told the cops that the 3rd ref was supposed to blade HIMSELF he was fine, but what ACTUALLY happened was the direct result of Bloodhunters actions."

Fightful spoke with several wrestlers on the show who placed the blame on both Sullivan and fellow booker Eric Embry for a lack of empathy and trying to keep the situation quiet. Another corroborated Cowperthwaite's account of Nicholson being impaired, noting he was in his RV until it was time for the match and he "smelled like booze."

Nicholson is known for winning a $2.3 million lawsuit against Abdullah The Butcher after the former claimed to have contracted hepatitis C following a match together which resulted in a WWE offer being pulled as a result.

• Like 1

EDIT: Hannibal took down his response video, but basically said he couldn't see well through the mesh eyes of his mask and thought he had the spike covered with his hand so he didn't know how bad it was. 

Regardless, everyone in wrestling hates him now

Edited by DreamBroken

I did not know that Eric Embry was involved in pro wrestling at all at this point, then yet in a booking role. That piques my interest more than it probably should, in all reality. I have a soft spot for Embry. The ESPN-era of World Class/USWA holds such nostalgia for me.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Shane said:

I did not know that Eric Embry was involved in pro wrestling at all at this point, then yet in a booking role. That piques my interest more than it probably should, in all reality. I have a soft spot for Embry. The ESPN-era of World Class/USWA holds such nostalgia for me.

This was his first return to any involvement in wrestling as far as I know.  Mick Foley appeared at the show to support him for all he did for him in his early career and said he hadn't seen Embry since 1989. 

Tonight is another WRESTLING WEDNESDAY and we pay tribute to Jimmy Rave, plus we look into the Hannibal debacle, Jeff Hardy's release, Kevin Owens re-signing, Anthony Ogogo sounding stupid about Jonathan Gresham and both Jordynne Grace and Dylan Postl clapping back...and more!

10pm-midnight, Mountain Time (9-11, Pacific) on the Cabin Radio NWT app or online at www.CabinRadio.ca

268797408_305728648226062_76764206394436

On 12/12/2021 at 10:04 PM, AnyKey said:

Went to the Deadlock Pro Wrestling Fire Volume 1 taping in Jacksonville NC, had a great time.

As far as I know there's a bunch of wrestlers from the Nightmare Factory school and Carolina Wrestling Academy.  There's also some DPW/newLegacyinc favorites like Luther, Andrew Everett, and Rosemary.  Chitchatting with some in the crowd, overwhelmingly everyone's a DPW fan which isn't all that surprising.  Probably 100-150 total in the crowd, and it was a very positive/upbeat crowd that didn't go out of its way to needle people for hiccups. My understanding is that the matches will be on YouTube down the line.

I'm not going to do much spoilering, mostly because the matches in parts were a blur and I've found myself getting some parts completely wrong when talking with others at the show.  

That being said:

Hide contents

1) Got to see a bunch of people live for the first time, and I was highly entertained.  People who I really enjoyed that I didn't know a lot of until I got there included Bojack, Kevin Ku, Kidd Bandit, and Calvin Tankman.

2) Really enjoyed the Rosemary/Andrew Everett match!  Probably my favorite of the initial eliminator tourney matches.

3) There wasn't live commentary, and they definitely were not huddled in a separate area doing a live dubbing of the commentary.  John Blud and Pulse were in the area behind hard cam popping continuously, Tony generally was working merch.

Episode 1 is on YouTube as of yesterday. I think they're going with weekly on Thursdays.