DVDVR Message Board

2021 INDIE WRESTLING

Hey lady, you married him...

Anyway, what amuses me about those photos is the pane of glass left unbroken in the corner with the pretty swan sandblasted on it.

EDIT: And hold up, this was at the Showboat in Vegas? The same place Bock and Hennig had their 60 minute broadway masterpiece? If there wasn't blood in that match too I'd call it ironic. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

EDIT: And hold up, this was at the Showboat in Vegas? The same place Bock and Hennig had their 60 minute broadway masterpiece? If there wasn't blood in that match too I'd call it ironic. 

Atlantic City, not Vegas.

• Like 1

Watched Moxley vs Gage. Mick Foley cutting a promo beforehand was awesome. The match itself was what you expect, nothing particularly memorable though. I wasn't following wrestling when CZW stopped being a thing and GCW took up the mantle, but even though GCW is much less toxic than the former was, I've found their in-ring offering to be not as good both for death-matches and the clean stuff. Good for them to be running the Ballroom though and I am down for the Briscoes vs Mance and Justice.

So i watched the show and was thoroughly entertained top to bottom.  Not the best Deathmatch I've ever seen, but i feel like this is just a setup for a series of matches between Moxley and Gage.

However, im not sure how many people in here stumble upon the Cult of Cornette group, but jesus christ, i can't even begin to imagine what it must be like to be so miserable about something you claim to enjoy.  The term "gatekeepers" get thrown around a lot, but almost every single one of these miserable bastards likens themselves to gatekeep what professional wrestling should be according tot he gospel of Cornette and it's pathetic and sad.  

• Like 5

Allie Katch busting out the Ocean Cyclone Suplex earlier today against Mercedes Martinez was good stuff. By no means a classic match or anything, but it was real good. I wouldn't be mad if GCW brought Mercedes back, she fits right in.

I saw the opener, Cardona's match and the main so far.  All were pretty damn enjoyable and I so far got my money's worth.  Mox can do pro wrestling quite well but seeing him in a deathmatch it seemed he felt quite at home amongst the broken glass and barbed wire.  And Foley added a lot by talking about the balance of how having a family has led to Mox further enjoying these type of situations.  It might not be the best deathmatch but it told a great story and I'm looking forward to more.

What's crazy is I'm not a big fan of deathmatches and I couldn't fully get into GCW for some reason.  But there's been so much recent momentum that I think I'm starting to consider checking them out more.  And if they're getting Hammerstein then they're doing something right.

• Like 2

Had a pretty good time at the Sunday GCW show. Brought a few friends for Suzuki but we we all missed that there was a deathmatch on the card (Jimmy Lloyd and Alex Colon). I had a phase when I was pretty into BJW so it was a fun surprise for me but my friends are very much not deathmatch fans sooo.. at least had fun with their reactions. 

Guessing they're gonna load up the card for the Hammerstein show. This was second time at GCW and was really glad I went both times. With a decent enough card I'll probably hit up Hammerstein too

• Like 2

So, apparently at IWA Deep South Carnage Cup, someone legitimately got their finger cut off with pruning shears.....I love death match wrestling but even I think that is just the absolute dumbest shit.  I won't post the picture of missing finger in here, but if you look at MurderDeathKillClub instagram, you'll see it.

Garcia vs Suzuki was worth a watch. My favorite stuff was the early matwork as they really dug in and made every little point of leverage and advantage earned. Obviously as the match goes on, it becomes about Suzuki smacking around the young boy and Garcia earning his regard if not his respect and so on, and that's going to work because of Garcia's attitude and Suzuki's mad whimsy but I liked the first few minutes the most.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 9:22 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

Mox can do pro wrestling quite well but seeing him in a deathmatch it seemed he felt quite at home amongst the broken glass and barbed wire.  

Let's not forget he started out doing this stuff. He even had to sew a nipple back on after it got taken off by a weed whacker!

• Like 1

I saw some pearl clutching about Mox disregarding his safety and not thinking about his family by doing death matches, but there honestly weren’t a ton of dangerous bumps in the Gage match. It’s gruesome but not the kind of high risk that took years off of Foley’s career. Effy took chair shots in the Cardona match that looked worse. 

• Like 1

Beware of the NY State Athletic Commission banning blood, weapons, and brawling in the crowd for GCW. They hassle the lucha shows that run in the city. And what if somehow the required ambulance arrives an hour or two late? 

I'll still go if I can get a nice balcony seat. I'm too old and my knees and back are shot. Can't deal with floor seats and all the American fans standing up in front of me. 

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Let's not forget he started out doing this stuff. He even had to sew a nipple back on after it got taken off by a weed whacker!

Oh, yeah, dude always lived for that shit.  It's amazing how a guy who did/does WWE and AEW plus has a beautiful wife and kid still has that need to get into these type of matches.  Dude never forgot where he came from and I love him to pieces for it.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 11:59 AM, Jiji said:

Would sooner go to a show for Rina than Moxley tbh. How often is she going to tour America? 

and they've now booked Yamashita vs Charli Evans for the Friday show.

let's fuckin' goooo

EDIT: Oh and Allie Katch has challenged Chelsea Green, which is probably leading to BUSSY vs Cardona & Green eventually

Edited by Casey

On 10/12/2021 at 4:01 PM, Matt D said:

Garcia vs Suzuki was worth a watch. My favorite stuff was the early matwork as they really dug in and made every little point of leverage and advantage earned. Obviously as the match goes on, it becomes about Suzuki smacking around the young boy and Garcia earning his regard if not his respect and so on, and that's going to work because of Garcia's attitude and Suzuki's mad whimsy but I liked the first few minutes the most.

Davey Richards vs AJ Gray from the same show was awesome. I haven’t watched it back but live I thought that was way better, and I had a ton of fun during the main event. That match was just great. 

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Marco Ruas is wrestling? That's a name I didn't expect. 

And please tell me Tito isn't the Tito I'm thinking of...

It's former NXT wrestler Arturo Ruas a.k.a. Adrian Jaoude. He's now wrestling as Tiger Ruas.

Tito is an Indie wrestler named Bad Dude Tito, he already wrested on previous editions of Bloodsport.

• Like 1