DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Tobin only composed the music for Chaos Theory, but I'd like to see him compose the music for the remake and all SC games going forward.

I agree with JL.  Thanks to the greatness of Chaos Theory, I think Amon's music is synonymous with the game franchise now.  Ruthless plays in your head when you think of Sam Fisher.  I am personally surprised that SC has never made it to the big screen with Amon contributing to the film score.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Casey said:

Splinter Cell remake was announced by Ubisoft. I’m looking forward to the many ways they could possibly fuck this up.

They make Sam Fisher climb up the office buildings he's infiltrating to get a view of the adjacent area,  then do 15 different missions where he follow someone, not too closely but not too far, as they're having a plot filling conversation as they stop and look around like they expect to be followed by some weirdo in a haystack.

6 minutes ago, supremebve said:

They make Sam Fisher climb up the office buildings he's infiltrating to get a view of the adjacent area,  then do 15 different missions where he follow someone, not too closely but not too far, as they're having a plot filling conversation as they stop and look around like they expect to be followed by some weirdo in a haystack.

Bonus score if he remains undetected.

You should get a fucking trophy for the number of times you use an elevator shaft as your point of ingress.

Edited by J.T.

Just now, J.T. said:

Bonus score if he remains undetected.

I recently started Ghosts of Tsushima,  and someone needs to figure out how to update the stealth elements of games. It's a great game,  but I feel like we've been doing the same exact stealth mechanics since Metal Gear Solid, and that game is damn near 25 years old. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Please do not summon this evil by talking about it.

Until Ubisoft does something different, what else are we supposed to talk about?  I generally like their games,  but between Assassins Creed and Far Cry they haven't had an original idea in a long ass time. I loved Immortals Fenix Rising, but it was basically what if you made a Zelda game out of the Assassins Creed parts.

3 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Olli Olli World got a release date today - Feburary 8, 2022. Probably not the best time to release it (Sifu is I think that day too).

Yeah, it's four days after Dying Light 2, same day as Sifu, ten or eleven days before Horizon Forbidden West, etc.  Seems a curious choice.  I imagine it doesn't necessarily rely on the Triple-A crowd for buys, but it seems like it's going to get lost in the shuffle.  I feel like Sifu may get lost in the shuffle too, on the other hand, it's getting a strong pr push.

Really, Feb and March are already loaded, so unless you're ready to go in January or want to wait until late Spring, I dunno what you do with the scheduling.

Going to have to google Omori.  I'm not familiar with it, but it had a prime spot in the showcase and people are talking it up on Twitter.

Was happy to see Grime getting a console release, though it doesn't appear to be coming to Xbox or PlayStation, so....

Do not google too much about Omori since it would be very easy to be spoiled.

It’s sort of an RPG where a kid and his friends go on an adventure, with flash backs and flash forwards involving trauma in his life.

‘there are some heavy topics in the game that might effect some people. As in ..

Spoiler

Child death and/or suicide and depression

23 hours ago, supremebve said:

As a big fan of the AC games prior to the "new" ones starting with Origins, this comment hit me right where it hurts.

See, I thought Odyssey had the worst combat of the new 3, being a massive downgrade from Origins.  Also, yeah, like Origins and Valhalla, there is just WAAAYY too much shit in the game that turns it into a slog.

I love a good open world slog, to me I have found it more matters if I am 'into' the story if I find it excessive. Odyssey I loved as that time period interests me, while Valhalla I was pretty bored by the end as I didn't find the story as interesting plus I thought the stuff in Asgard was mostly dumb. I don't mine a 150 hour game but if the atmosphere doesn't grab me it does get old pretty quick. I actually thought Valhalla was a big step down from Odyssey in a lot of ways, even though I did beat it. Just a generally less interesting game, a handful of great characters but generally repetitive.

6 hours ago, Raziel said:

See, I thought Odyssey had the worst combat of the new 3, being a massive downgrade from Origins.  Also, yeah, like Origins and Valhalla, there is just WAAAYY too much shit in the game that turns it into a slog.

In fairness I haven't played Origins or Valhalla. I'm not that in love with the series.

Man I love Star Wars but knowing I am going to keep hearing about a game that is at least three years from releasing is going to slowly drive me insane. There is a fine line between hyping a game in advance and being obnoxious, doing a "EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW" article for a game still in early development is the latter.

(that's a critique on msn and other gaming sites, not J.T. for linking to it)

• Like 2

On 12/16/2021 at 1:56 PM, Raziel said:

If I learned anything trying to do a replay of the AC series, it's that it really didn't age well.

Disagree.  I completed AC: Rogue earlier this year (maybe late last year? I forget) and it was great.  I enjoyed it far more than AC: Origins that I'd been trying to play.  It was like playing Black Flag 2 and that was awesome.

11 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Disagree.  I completed AC: Rogue earlier this year (maybe late last year? I forget) and it was great.  I enjoyed it far more than AC: Origins that I'd been trying to play.  It was like playing Black Flag 2 and that was awesome.

I've played several AC games this year on my Series X and they mostly still hold up.  And they're actually better on Series X thanks to the advantages of the next-gen console and Microsoft releasing FPS Boost patches for most of them (Assassin's Creed, the Xbox One Ezio Collection, AC III Remastered, and Rogue Remastered all got frame rate boosts to 60 fps).  

I'll take the first seven (!) AC games over anything that came afterwards.  And I like most of the rest a quite a bit.

Also, on the topic of FPS Boost, Binary Domain with a resolution boost and 60 fps on Series X is a helluva game. 

• Like 1