DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

9 hours ago, Casey said:

That’s one of the few trailers tonight that’s had a release date. Some didn’t even have the year. ?

Like the aforementioned Star Wars Eclipse

I mean it is nice and all but basically, in my mind, these types of things are just one step above showing a logo for a game and calling it a day (think the Metroid 4 or God of War II announcements)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Space Marine 2? Oh my.

I got excited when I saw this. Although I thought it would be Space Marine Remastered since the cutscenes shown were from the first game.

Saber Interactive has me a bit scared though and....

Spoiler

I guess Captain Titus made it through the Imperium determining if he were a heretic after the events of the first game

One of the more fun Platinums/100%s I ever got, even the 40,000 kills were great fun.

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Like the aforementioned Star Wars Eclipse

I mean it is nice and all but basically, in my mind, these types of things are just one step above showing a logo for a game and calling it a day (think the Metroid 4 or God of War II announcements)

Quantic Dream writing bad stories and doing a Star Wars game go hand in hand.

Shame it wasn't Jedi Fallen Order 2 that was revealed.

9 hours ago, Casey said:

So I guess the Matrix Awakens experience thing is kind of a game? I’m not sure, but it had gameplay for sure. I thought it would be something like the Radiohead experience but apparently not.

From all accounts the Matrix thing is just a demo for Unreal

Watched the show WWE-style this morning after getting most of the announcements from Twitter last night (WWE-style = liberal use of fast-forward).  Even ff'ing through most anything that wasn't a trailer, the show still felt like it was dragging.  I feel like most people watch the Games Awards for the trailers, but I still feel a little bad for the creators and the fans who are genuinely interested in the awards.  Probably is sort of annoying to win GotY and feel like you're the 52nd most important thing on the show (behind 51 trailers and Keanu Reeves).

Game announcements were fine, though I felt like Keighley promising five or six Elden Ring-level announcements was a case of over-promising and under-delivering.  As always, I'm bewildered by how excited people get over games that are years away and barely show more than a logo.  I've enjoyed Quantic Dreams' previous games quite a lot, so I'm hoping for the best with the Star Wars game - even though it seems like a weird fit for David Cage - but the game is likely several years away.  At the rate the world is burning, mutated coachroaches and sentient twinkies might its target demographic.  

Hellblade II looks incredible and I have a lot of faith in Ninja Theory, but I'll get excited when we have a release date.  Same with Alan Wake 2.

Big hits for me were Persona 4 Arena Ultimax Remastered, Forspoken, & Cuphead dlc.  Tchia and Tunic look interesting too.  Not coincidentally, four of those games got release dates and the fifth got a Spring '22 release window, so there's a decent chance we see them sometime next year.  Hopefully Ultimax includes the dlc that let you play through an abridged version of the first game.  Persona 4 Arena is playable on Xbox through backwards compatibility but I prefer fighting games on PlayStation.

Early indications are my PlayStation gets a lot more use than my Xbox next year.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

I've been banging the drum for a Wonder Woman game for years. It's from the Middle Earth: Shadow of War studio, so we'll see but I'm optimistic.

They have since confirmed that the Nemesis system will be used (which honestly I think we should prepare ourselves to be in every Monolith Productions game from now on)

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And speaking of Telltale

The Expanse: A Telltale Series

I think that only I along with like five other people in the world are excited about Camina Drummer getting her own story.  I'm assuming the "boss man" she's spacing is the captain of the starship she takes over when she begins building her OPA pirate fleet.

I'll be disappointed if there is no Bobbie Draper follow up.

I'll probably check out Star Wars: Eclipse in whatever form it takes as long as the story doesn't suck.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 9:41 PM, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Forspoken drops on PS5 on May 24.

The trailer finally ended up in my recommendations which reminded me to watch it

Still want to know what happened with the cat from the first trailer

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Trek to Yomi

Dear XBox gamers:

I'm sorry that your console sucks and you didn't get to play Ghost of Tsushima.  Here is a consolation samurai game for you to indulge in, but not exclusively.

Love, the Universe.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The trailer finally ended up in my recommendations which reminded me to watch it

Still want to know what happened with the cat from the first trailer

It is like Dragon's Dogma on 'roids and Crack.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

If it was like Dragon's Dogma - the most important part for me is that it isn't, thankfully, made by Capcom

The floaty combat against bunches of enemies and the ridiculous AoE attacks remind me a lot of Dragon's Dogma.   That seems to be the thing for ARPGs that craft their game for ai single hero or the hero / sidekick dynamic rather than an acquired group of companions.

Hopefully the story in Forespoken will be less convoluted.

Edited by J.T.

Nordic Shadow of the Colossus imitator Praey for the Gods dropped without warning today on Steam, PSN, and Xbox.  Think it's available both PS4/PS5 & Xbox One/Series X.

I've been excited for this game for years and really enjoyed it what I saw when I played it in early access a couple years ago.  I'm sort of wary about the way it's been released though.  Completely out of the blue.  Haven't seen any talk about it releasing today or a recent review and the developers didn't say anything about a release date on Twitter, though they did mention a few months ago that they were getting to the polishing phase.  The launch trailer and a tweet about the game being released went live after the game was uploaded to the digital services.  Someone I know in games journalism is fairly sure no review codes were sent out.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but it feels like maybe the game is being dumped on the market.  I guess I'll find soon.  The early access version looked quite promising.  It's mostly boss battles with colossal beasts set in a bleak frozen landscape.  The sense of scale is quite impressive.  The open world is supposedly huge, but that makes me wonder if the developers bit off more than they could handle.  IRRC, No Matter Studios consists is a three-person team.

Also, for anyone interested, a new Nintendo Indie World showcase streams tomorrow at noon ET.