DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

I'm a big fan of David Cage & Quantic Dream and Detroit: Become Human is probably at least in my PS4 top 10, but i can't imagine what a "more action-focused" David Cage game is going to look like.  Obi-Wan Kenobi opening the game with an hour-long TED talk will not be a surprise.  

Elsewhere, Kena: Bridge of Spirits is getting mostly great reviews.  The Zelda-esque footage used in reviews of Kena crawling along the face of sheer mountains and fighting monsters is gorgeous and is doing a lot more to sell me the game the early trailer footage of Kena standing around herding Pokemon.  The game is apparently a lot more Zelda-esque than it first appeared. 

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

There are reports that Quantic Dream's next game will be a Star Wars games

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Like, I can't even imagine what that will be like. To me, Quantic Dream sucks, but I know they have their fans and it feels like that Venn Diagram has a lot of overlap with people who like all of Kojima's bullshit. That's the only way this news would be funnier, is if Kojima were making a Star Wars game.

Oh man...You know who would make a fucking great Star Wars game? Remedy. Just reskin Control or something.

38 minutes ago, Craig H said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Like, I can't even imagine what that will be like. To me, Quantic Dream sucks, but I know they have their fans and it feels like that Venn Diagram has a lot of overlap with people who like all of Kojima's bullshit. That's the only way this news would be funnier, is if Kojima were making a Star Wars game.

Oh man...You know who would make a fucking great Star Wars game? Remedy. Just reskin Control or something.

I guess you're not a "Other people like things different from me and that's ok" type of guy?  I mean, you don't have to be shy.  Tell us how you really feel.  It's ok.

And, yeah, I'm down with all of Kojima's bullshit, past, present, and future.  Not even a Metal Gear Solid uberfan.  Just think the dude is extremely talented.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

To me, Quantic Dream sucks, but I know they have their fans

17 minutes ago, Eoae said:

I guess you're not a "Other people like things different from me and that's ok" type of guy?  I mean, you don't have to be shy.  Tell us how you really feel.  It's ok.

And, yeah, I'm down with all of Kojima's bullshit, past, present, and future.  Not even a Metal Gear Solid uberfan.  Just think the dude is extremely talented.

Hmmmmmmm.......

4 hours ago, Eoae said:

I'm the exact opposite. I love the original Metal Gear Solid,  but I'm not down with Kojima's bullshit. That game was great for a lot of reasons,  but it also allowed Kojima to indulge in some of the most nonsensical bullshit in the history of video games. 

On 9/17/2021 at 11:25 PM, D.Z said:

Glover HD by Piko. If it does well then unreleased Glover 2 too.

Banner-GloverHD.jpg

I completely forgot about Glover ever being a video game. I'm more than positive I played it. I don't remember a second of it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I actually liked Detroit, and I really liked the MGS series, even if V went way off the damn rails and was unfinished.

Now Death Stranding, that was pure unfiltered Kojima and, well, it wasn't good.   If anything,  MGSV and DS showed Kojima had a bit of a thing for starfucking.

Edited by Raziel

Remedy doing a Star Wars game would likely be a spooky supernatural game that involves a Jedi trainee awakening an evil pre-Jedi/pre-Sith deity in a Star Destroyer that's not really a Star Destroyer (think the "Oldest House" from Control). I would likely play the shit outta this game.

• Like 2

MGS and 3 (was that Snake Eater) I thought were the high points because they mostly stayed out of the WTF territory unless you're really into Kojima doing some WTF type shit. 2, 4, and 5 were just, man, what the fuck.

I don't think I'll ever play Death Stranding. Watching the Giant Bomb quick look of it and hearing them talk about it was enough to let me know that I don't have much interest in a QWOP game that's all about building bridges and not building walls, man.

Kojima is a weird dude.

25 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I don't think I'll ever play Death Stranding. Watching the Giant Bomb quick look of it and hearing them talk about it was enough to let me know that I don't have much interest in a QWOP game that's all about building bridges and not building walls, man.

I have talked to friends about this game and described it as an apparently amazing game that I have zero desire to ever play. Just not my style but I can appreciate how it was made and how other people love it. 

Death Stranding can be a slog at times, but I think's it a top 20 game for the generation.  Probably not in my top 5 or 10, but close.  I'm all in on the Director's Cut which releases later this week.

I think there's a lot of legitimate reasons to criticize Kojima, so I can understand why people dislike his work, but it works for me.  Didn't become a MGS fan until fairly late in the game.  Basically became a fan after the Peace Walker HD remaster and really enjoyed 4 and 5.

I will concede a have a fondness for polarizing creators like Cage and Kojima.  I also have a thing for weird Japanese people who make strange games.  Besides Kojima, I'm a big fan of Okami & Bayonetta director Hideki Kamiya, Shinji Mikami (created Resident Evil franchise and directed RE 4, one of my all-time faves), No More Heroes creator Goichi Suda, Yoko Taro (NieR Replicant and Automata), D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die director Hidetaka Suehiro (also directed Deadly Premonition), and a few others.  

Edit: How did I not mention Fumito Ueda?  Shadow of the Colossus is possibly my favorite game ever and Ico isn't too far behind.

Edit: Forgetting to mention Silent Hill/Gravity Rush creator Keiichirō Toyami may be an even worse omission than forgetting Fumito Ueda.

Edited by Eoae

I appreciate Kojima being strongly against nuclear weapons and he supports some of the same causes that I support, but the way he goes about delivering those messages in games is...not great?

Anyway, funny you mentioned SWERY because I had initially typed out this paragraph about where Kojima fits in with other weird as fuck game devs like SWERY and Suda51. I think the difference is that I probably have more fun with the weirdness of the stuff SWERY and Suda51 makes as their stuff makes me laugh and go WTF in joyful ways, whereas I watch a video of the "Your princess is in another castle" bit from Death Stranding and I'm just like, come on Kojima, really?

I do at least appreciate those three regularly going balls to the wall with how insane they can make their shit because without them, who knows if you get the insanity of games like Saints Row, Yakuza, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Anyway, funny you mentioned SWERY 

You know he has a new game coming out next month, right?  The Good Life is releasing on October 15.

The trailers haven't really gotten me interested, but it's SWERY so I'll probably pick it up on day one.

IGN's hands-on preview of Guardians of the Galaxy kind of makes me feel a little bit better about that game, but I'm still not terribly excited about exclusively playing as Star-Lord. Comparisons for game mechanics and interactions with teammates were Mass Effect and Final Fantasy 7 Remake, so... We'll see. In the end, though, doing a fight soundtracked by a random 70s/80s song after the momentum meter fills up and you do a "huddle" sounds really fun. There's a chance the song could be anything from Europe to Rick Astley to Twisted Sister. Amazing.

I'll likely still wait on a sale - which system I get on it depends on where I can find a good deal, because I don't think this is a game I'd buy for $70 but yeah. Might lean towards Xbox since you can do sites like Newegg and whatnot for digital codes.

14 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Nintendo Direct at 6 ET tomorrow.

I think the only thing we can prob guarantee is the new controller, which was going to revealed Friday already. 

It's rumored that we'll see Mario Kart 9 and Metroid Prime remake and possibly Hollow Knight Silksong release date.

More than new titles, I'd really like to see some of the rumored remasters finally get announced.  I'm skeptical the Switch remasters of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess real but the rumors are still around.  If they don't announce a Zelda remaster compilation today, I'm hooking up my Wii U and downloading the Wii U remasters (I own the discs, but would prefer to have them digitally).

Same with Metroid Prime remaster collection.  If it's real, throw us a bone, Nintendo.

Lol, mostly I just want them to announce something I'm interested in.  Metroid Dread is the only Switch game on the near horizon for me at the moment.  I've barely touched my Switch since Spring.  Realized recently I accidentally unplugged the HDMI cable and hadn't noticed.  Probably was unplugged for a month or two.  I've only bought a handful of Switch games this year.  Honestly, I've been feeling a bit happy when third-party games get announced for other consoles and I can "rescue" them from the Switch.

Hopefully, we get something of note.  We'll see.

23 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Nintendo Direct at 6 ET tomorrow.

I think the only thing we can prob guarantee is the new controller, which was going to revealed Friday already. 

i think the Smash Bros. final DLC character announcement is pretty likely.

8 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

It's rumored that we'll see Mario Kart 9 and Metroid Prime remake and possibly Hollow Knight Silksong release date.

why would Silksong show up in a Switch announcement? Isn't that more likely to be put out by the developer?  100% ready for Mario Kart 9, although i hadn't heard that rumor from anywhere credible.

24 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I'm avoiding the rumors today so I can watch the direct cold once I get to work. 

Lol, I'm just the opposite.  Not going to be able to watch at 6, so I'm depending on Twitter to spoil all the announcements for me. then I'll watch the trailers later.

We've been waiting so long on anything about Metroid Prime re-releases and Wind Waker/Ocarina of Time/Phantom Hourglass re-releases that I've given up on them ever being a reality. I'll believe it when I see it.

We also got Skyward Sword and my daughter hates it. At least I think she does. She LOVES basically anything Legend of Zelda and she played that for maybe an hour and has no desire to go back to it. I tried playing it too with motion controls and with the pro controller and was basically like fuck this, I can't play this garbage. It would be cool if Nintendo did us a solid and re-released the best Zelda games from the N64/GC era, but I doubt it.

I think the same goes for a new Bayonetta, as far as believing it when I see it. In fact, didn't the devs working on the next one just say that they're ready to show it whenever Nintendo lets them? Maybe that's one of the games they show off.

A new Mario Kart does nothing for me. Meh.

I would just like a reason to play the Switch again. It's been collecting dust for months now.