DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

9 hours ago, Casey said:

Regalla Edition is already sold out on PS Direct, but it’s still available on Best Buy. I can’t order until next Friday, so everything will probably be sold out for sure everywhere by then ???

Yea unfortunately Best Buy takes the money immediately, I prefer doing pre-orders on Amazon since they don't.

• Like 1

I know they didn't invent this but I actively hate editions that include a steelbook but no physical game. What do they think I am putting in the steelbook. Generally I still prefer physical for a variety of reasons but I do digital in the right circumstances, just case by case. But I certainly don't need a steelbook if there is no game in it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I know they didn't invent this but I actively hate editions that include a steelbook but no physical game. What do they think I am putting in the steelbook. Generally I still prefer physical for a variety of reasons but I do digital in the right circumstances, just case by case. But I certainly don't need a steelbook if there is no game in it.

Just to clarify - Horizon Forbidden West's Steelbook comes with the physical game

51419592093_13c6eb6768_h.jpg

Next up is the Special Edition, a gorgeous SteelBook with a physical disc copy for either PS4 or PS5, which also features the digital soundtrack (via voucher), as well as a mini art book.

That is all from Sony's website

I wasn't sure if you were making the original statement in general or specifically about HFW but wanted to eliminate any confusion

8 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

That's only for the Special Edition, though.  For the Collector's Edition and the Regalia Edition the game is a digital download code that comes in the empty steelbook.

Okay that makes more sense - not in why they are doing it but in the sense of the conversation

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Okay that makes more sense - not in why they are doing it but in the sense of the conversation

Yea that's the dumb thing, of the nine-ish editions, some with steelbooks have the physical game, some with steelbooks don't have the physical game. I just want the cool looking statue so I'll deal with it.

On 9/4/2021 at 7:28 AM, Casey said:

Why?

Because it's expensive as fuck for a bunch of useless shit when the game is the main attraction? I don't know, none of that shit "sparks joy" for me, but I know it does for others. Also, it's people who continue buying that stuff that perpetuates game companies continuing to do stuff like that. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 1:25 PM, RIPPA said:

One thing to note - it appears if you buy the PS4 version, you don't get a free PS5 upgrade

Sony then backtracked and said that they "missed the mark" on this and now you will get a free upgrade

HOWEVER - HFW will be the last game they do that for.

“I also want to confirm today that moving forward, PlayStation first-party exclusive cross-gen titles (newly releasing on PS4 & PS5)–both digital and physical–will offer a $10 USD digital upgrade option from PS4 to PS5,” explained Ryan. “This will apply to the next God of War and Gran Turismo 7, and any other exclusive cross-gen PS4 & PS5 title published by Sony Interactive Entertainment.”

The Ryan in question is Jim Ryan - President and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

Also, it's people who continue buying that stuff that perpetuates game companies continuing to do stuff like that. 

Perpetuating the concept of collector's editions? I don't see the problem with the idea of these kinds of things, since it's not the only edition out there and is designed for people with disposable income.

Unless you mean the whole digital game with a useless steelbook, $10 upgrade path, etc. Which I don't disagree, but since both Microsoft and Sony have digital only consoles, I do think future collector edition type packages should have an optional "physical or digital" version, but that would mean giving up a potential double dip scenario which I'm sure they enjoy the thought of.

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

Because it's expensive as fuck for a bunch of useless shit when the game is the main attraction? I don't know, none of that shit "sparks joy" for me, but I know it does for others. Also, it's people who continue buying that stuff that perpetuates game companies continuing to do stuff like that. 

So what if they make it? How does that personally impact you? You don't have to buy it, the base game is still available for the same new-game price as always, you don't  have to pay more. Just because something doesn't "spark joy" for you personally doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. I am sure there is something you collect that doesn't spark joy for me, should that thing just stop existing too? Just because something is expensive to you doesn't mean its expensive to everyone, seems like an odd thing to even care about.

19 hours ago, Casey said:

Perpetuating the concept of collector's editions? I don't see the problem with the idea of these kinds of things, since it's not the only edition out there and is designed for people with disposable income.

Unless you mean the whole digital game with a useless steelbook, $10 upgrade path, etc. Which I don't disagree, but since both Microsoft and Sony have digital only consoles, I do think future collector edition type packages should have an optional "physical or digital" version, but that would mean giving up a potential double dip scenario which I'm sure they enjoy the thought of.

18 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

So what if they make it? How does that personally impact you? You don't have to buy it, the base game is still available for the same new-game price as always, you don't  have to pay more. Just because something doesn't "spark joy" for you personally doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. I am sure there is something you collect that doesn't spark joy for me, should that thing just stop existing too? Just because something is expensive to you doesn't mean its expensive to everyone, seems like an odd thing to even care about.

You guys, it's ok. I'm not congress. I'm not taking away your special editions ?

But yeah, you're right. It doesn't hurt me if you guys get it or if they make those editions, which is why I thought I said it's cool if you're all into that. Me personally, I think it's just a bunch of stuff I don't need to accumulate, but you all feel differently and that's cool. So yeah, you're right. I mean I have a family room full of Legos that are starting to collect dust and more tools than I probably need. I don't know, maybe I'm jealous looking at all of this clutter from the new baby and want a cleaner, more sparse home to actually have space for those kinds of statues and stuff. 

Great game.  Very excited about getting a remastered version.   I'd been wanting to replay the game on Series X to see how it looked on a current-gen console, so the optimized version is probably going to be an immediate play-through for me.

Release date is supposedly October 4, though I haven't seen that confirmed yet.

In other news, I'm probably going to buy 8-10 new releases this week.  That... seems like a lot.

Starting F.I.S.T." Forged in Shadow Torch tonight.  Early reviews have been great.  PlayStation will probably win the month with four or five good exclusives (FIST, Deathloop, Kena, Death Stranding Director's Cut).

Hrmm, I was expecting an Alan Wake 2 announcement to piggyback off of where Control left off. I never played Alan Wake though, and considering how much I love Control, I should probably give Alan Wake a shot.

Was kinda disappointed in the card system concept for Midnight Suns. In the gameplay announcement trailer they were like "As you'll see it's not just X-Com with MArvel characters..." like that was a bad thing. No, that's literally what I wanted.

Then after they revealed the gameplay they were like "See, it's cards! So it's different."  GTFO.

The other shit with your avatar engaging the heroes at the base got me more intrigued. But then they showed a clip of Blade sitting criss-cross-applesauce on the couch like he was at a slumber party and I was like..."ugh stop making me not excited."

I really, really, really wanted X-Com with Marvel characters. That's literally all I wanted from this. At most, something like the one PC video game from the early 2000s where you're in control of a fictional superhero team and it's like golden age style superheroes. I think it was called Freedom Force. Something in that range would have been excellent and what they're delivering is, just, yeah, I'll skip until it's a free game of the month.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Hrmm, I was expecting an Alan Wake 2 announcement to piggyback off of where Control left off. I never played Alan Wake though, and considering how much I love Control, I should probably give Alan Wake a shot.

FWIW, Alan Wake is my favorite game from Remedy.  I wish they hadn't released dlc and a follow-up XBL game that removed the ambiguity from the story (the base game leads you to believe that you'e in Stephen King/Jonathan Carroll territory, but hedges its bets just enough that you still think maybe it's all in Alan's head and he's actually just losing his sanity.  Even the closing sequence is open to interpretation).

I know most people love Control and I enjoyed it a lot, but it wasn't close to my game of the year.  Not even in my top 10.  I'd rate Control and Horizon Zero Dawn as solid 8/8.5 out of 10, but don't really understand the game of the generation talk for either of them.

I also think Quantum Break is kind of underrated, but that's a different topic.  

Edited by Eoae

I went on and on about Control in the other thread, but up until the very, very end, it scratched damn near every itch I have for what I want out of sci-fi. I'm also a weirdo that really loves Lost and that show also scratched a bunch of those itches. The ending to Control was just very...flat. The twist at the end where you wind up as a drone worker is neat, but once you get past that and it's all about that ending battle, it's just not good. That ending battle is also incredibly easy. There were far more harder fights throughout the game and I beat the final "boss" without dying. For that reason it's not an all timer for me, but it's close.

Horizon Zero Dawn was something I was playing with my daughter and we were trading the controller back and forth on that, but she's become obsessed with The Outer Wilds and now No Man's Sky. I need to pull her back towards HZD because we're probably only a quarter of the way through and I'd like to beat that before the sequel comes out. From what we played though, man, that game is fucking awesome. Reminds me a lot of Breath of the Wild and Monster Hunter.

5 hours ago, Eoae said:

I also think Quantum Break is kind of underrated, but that's a different topic.  

Yes. I’m playing through this right now. If this game didn’t exist, I don’t know that Control would. I also don’t see why they decided to connect the Alan Wake universe to Control, when Quantum Break is more in line with Control, thematically. Hell, even the gameplay is similar.

Both games have that weird motion blur problem with the characters during gameplay, though. It’s super distracting.

If even a third of the wild rumors about tomorrow's PlayStation showcase are real, it's gonna be a h*ll of a show.

Honestly, Sony could remaster some of its first-party PS3 games and I'd be happy.  I want LittleBigPlanet 1 & 2, InFAMOUS 1 & 2 & Ico HD on PS4 or 5 more than I want new titles.  Ratchet & Clank Future Collection wouldn't be a bad idea either.