DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

I’m not sure what I’d even want a Saint’s Row game to be in 202X. I’d love a gritty reboot that leans into the GTA-ness of the first two games. I’d also love more of the over the top stuff that franchise turned into in 3/4. Those two things don’t really coexist. Probably why it’s taken so long to move forward with it. 

18 minutes ago, Shane said:

I’m not sure what I’d even want a Saint’s Row game to be in 202X. I’d love a gritty reboot that leans into the GTA-ness of the first two games. I’d also love more of the over the top stuff that franchise turned into in 3/4. Those two things don’t really coexist. Probably why it’s taken so long to move forward with it. 

The thing is the gritty reboot was supposed to be Agents of Mayhem. Also, GTAV pretty much goes further with over the top stuff and better.

I'm not exactly sure what the series can do after 3/4/Gat Out of Hell. Gameplay wise, It's at its peak there. They could always lean into the superpower aspect and make a parody of Spider-Man/Batman Arkham games. Or go in even a different direction and make a Horizon/God of War 2018 style homage to those games.

It'll be interesting to see what they reveal next week.

On 8/21/2021 at 4:02 PM, RIPPA said:

Regarding the Saints Row game

Volition has confirmed (via Twitter) that it is a brand new game. In fact - they don't plan on doing anymore remasters.

It does appear to be a reboot of the franchise

The Boss was elected President of the United States and fought wars against aliens and Satan.   There were no new worlds to conquer.

Best to start from scratch and build a new empire.

The only thing I want from a new SR game is the ruthless spirit of SR2.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

I want cutscenes as viciously cathartic as the one in SR2 where you bury Shogo Akuji alive and the one in the last Ronin mission where you leave Old Man Akuji to burn to death on that boat.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Going to be an interesting week in gaming.  No AA/AAA releases on my watch list, but a number of long-awaited indie games that might be very good.... or not.

Psychonauts 2 and No More Heroes III both release this week.  It's probably something akin to a miracle that either one finally got made.  Buzz on Psychonauts 2 is good, but I wasn't a huge fan of the original back in the day and keep putting off replaying it before 2 comes out, so I have a feeling I'll buy it and toss it into the backlog of shame.

NMH III is shaping up as another Suda51 car crash, but who know?  I pick up most of Grasshopper Manufacture's games, but they tend to be interesting experiments rather than great games.  Suda hasn't directed a game since the original No More Heroes in 2007.  He was supposed to direct a couple projects like Lollipop Chainsaw and Shadows of the Damned, but the games had troubled development cycles with a lot of publisher interference and Suda ended up having little to do with the finished project and has kinda disowned both games (basically, Suda's ideas for both were way out there and the publisher had to rein him in a bit and bring in someone else to lead the design team.  Both games are still strange).

NMH III will be an easy buy for me because Suda is directing, but some of the stuff that's been leaked isn't encouraging.  I've got decent expectations, but won't be surprised if it's some sort of disaster.

Hoa and Baldo finally release too.  Both these games had good buzz at one point, but the enthusiasm has died down and it's hard to know what to expect.  Both look pretty, especially Baldo but not a lot's been revealed about gameplay.

Myst Remake seems like a no-brainer but it's been a long time since I played Myst and I'm wondering how well it has aged.  Still looking forward to it. 

16 hours ago, J.T. said:

I want cutscenes as viciously cathartic as the one in SR2 where you bury Shogo Akuji alive and the one in the last Ronin mission where you leave Old Man Akuji to burn to death on that boat.

SR2 was the only one I ever played, and to me that's what I want from that kind of game. Batshit crazy (toxic waste in the tattoo ink!) and psychotic lethality side by side.

• Like 3

Also, FWIW, Volition ain't what it used to be. They had a lot of turnover from layoffs and other people, like my friend, decided to pursue opportunities elsewhere during the Mayhem development. They have a lot to prove and I could see this being make or break for them. 

I don't know about Xbox One, since I haven't dived too deep into their library of exclusives (lol), but for me - Ghost of Tshushima is probably my 1b right behind Horizon Zero Dawn. I wish all games were as easy to 100% as Tsushima was, though.

Oddly enough, I don't feel the urge to get every achievement when I'm playing an Xbox game, but for Playstation ones it consumes me. Weird.

• Like 1

From the "release date accidentally released because of an online store" department

Halo Infinite reportedly is coming out Dec 8

Reports are that the date will be announced during the Gamescom Opening Night Live stream later. The date was spotted on the Microsoft store but has since been taken down

40 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Marvel: Midnight Suns

It's Midnight SONS.  Jesus fuck, 2K.....  Get it right.

They would have to hold me hostage by offering a Blade skin as the sign up for our spam bonus, right?

Edited by J.T.

43 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I will definitely play the hell out of it but it comes out 3 days after Witch Queen drops so its gonna have to wait awhile

Fortunately for me, I do not have this Destiny 2 problem that you speak of.