DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

10 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Not to speak for him but I think Andrew was specifically referring to games designed to run much better on the PS5 to justify owning one in 2021 (or exclusive to the PS5), not games across all systems. Plus those Switch numbers are always misleading as most the games are just ports, suck, or are ports that suck ?

OK, I slightly misunderstood him then. I can sort of understand feeling let down by the lack of PS5/Xbox exclusives and a definite lack of games that are going to push the new hardware.  My feeling are the same, though.  Thanks to backward compatibility, the new consoles come with ready-made libraries of thousands of Xbox One/PS4 games, plus about 600 Xbox 360 games (backwards compatibility).  At a minimum, the back compat library gets a resolution bump and a performance upgrade on the new consoles, with several hundred games having gotten optimized to eliminate load times, boost frame rates up to 120 fps, support 4K, etc.  I can't imagine running out of souped up last gen games to play.

I own both consoles and paid well above msrp for the PS5 after my Pro died.  I don't feel disappointed in the slightest.  The new hardware has a lot of potential, I've really enjoyed the exclusives i have bought, and the games will come out eventually.  For the time being, I'm pretty happy with the Series X and PS5 being the best possible Xbox One and PS4 you can buy.

On 7/30/2021 at 11:57 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

Not to speak for him but I think Andrew was specifically referring to games designed to run much better on the PS5 to justify owning one in 2021 (or exclusive to the PS5), not games across all systems. Plus those Switch numbers are always misleading as most the games are just ports, suck, or are ports that suck ?

I don't regret getting a PS5 at launch (although people that paid triple price on eBay should feel a little silly) but my Xbox Series S is getting 80% of my attention right now due to GamePass and there not being any big games lately on PS5 to catch my attention. I did play Cyberpunk and Assassin's Creed on it, then re-played Borderlands, but otherwise I've been on the Xbox and Switch a lot more in 2021 than the PS5.

That's correct - I was talking more about games designed to run better and/or exclusive on PS5 to justify having one in 2021. Beyond the re-releases mentioned earlier, we have....Deathloop? Really? That's going to be on Xbox Series X and PC in about a year anyway.

If we're going by multiplatform games, you really don't need a PS5 right now. I can tell you what's on PS5 is crossplatform indie games. I mean, sure you can play Neptunia ReVerse and Void Terrarium and those are PS5 exclusives, but who tf would buy those (well, besides me of course)?

I'm conflicted about GamePass being on Xbox Series because I'd rather have the physical copies and GamePass is really just a license to borrow the games for a finite period of time.

Edited by Andrew POE!

I got my PS5 a few months ago and am kinda bummed about all of the delays but it is giving me a great chance to finish up my backlog of games and replay a few with the DLC. The free PS4 games that PS5 owners get are pretty quality as well.  Hopefuy Guardians of the Galaxy is good, that's about all that's left coming out this year that is super interesting to me. 

• Like 2

It has come out that the Game Director for the Dead Space remake is Eric Baptizat - who was the game director on Assassin’s Creed Valhalla (and other Ubisoft titles)

Do with that information what you will

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It has come out that the Game Director for the Dead Space remake is Eric Baptizat - who was the game director on Assassin’s Creed Valhalla (and other Ubisoft titles)

Valhalla is the only game he's directed, as far as I know, but he was one of Ubi's senior designers.  He was lead designer on AC IV and Origins.  Might have also been lead designer on Unity (credited as senior designer).  Left Ubi for EA Motive when they offered him the Dead Space gig.

I bought Valhalla just to have something for the PS5, but I thought it wasn't for me. The gameplay felt a little on the clunky end, but this was also the first AC game I played since AC2. Plus, it felt like it was trying to play like Spider-Man or God of War and each of those games are just better.

What this means for Dead Space, I have no idea. Dead Space should be a 12 to 15 hour game at most and not some epic length thing with combo based attacks. It should be all about weapon variety, using the right weapon for the job, no HUD and life and shields are displayed on your backpack and ammo is displayed on your weapon.

Look, just take everything from Dead Space 2 and use that. Man, I even really liked the Doom-lite story for Dead Space until we got to the third game, which was bad...and you fought a moon...Ugh...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

I bought Valhalla just to have something for the PS5, but I thought it wasn't for me. The gameplay felt a little on the clunky end, but this was also the first AC game I played since AC2. Plus, it felt like it was trying to play like Spider-Man or God of War and each of those games are just better.

What this means for Dead Space, I have no idea. Dead Space should be a 12 to 15 hour game at most and not some epic length thing with combo based attacks. It should be all about weapon variety, using the right weapon for the job, no HUD and life and shields are displayed on your backpack and ammo is displayed on your weapon.

Look, just take everything from Dead Space 2 and use that. Man, I even really liked the Doom-lite story for Dead Space until we got to the third game, which was bad...and you fought a moon...Ugh...

Yeah, I Gamefly'd Valhalla, and the controls are definitely frustrating especially when it comes to climbing stuff or getting on and off the boat. I'm up to the big encounter in the Prologue, and I'm not sure if I want to wrestle with it much more. 

• Like 1

I made it through the prologue of Valhalla and haven't touched it since. It was $10 when I first got my PS5 and my first AC game. The controls are definitely the thing keeping me from going back, as well as the grindiness I hear about. I think Ghost of Tsushima spoiled me.

I liked Odyssey a lot, but I quit months and months ago after not being able to survive my first large battle. I’m curious about Valhalla, but like Odyssey, I won’t touch it until it’s in the $10-$15 range. Unless I can find a good price for the Series X/S version on a third party site like CDkeys or something. But, until then…

I’ll admit, I really want to play as a female Viking, but the dollar amount I’m willing to spend on Assassin’s Creed games isn’t there yet for Valhalla.

It’s the same reason I haven’t bought CoD: Cold War yet. There’s a price in my head that I’m willing to pay for that franchise, and the current game isn’t at that price point yet. But when it is, I’ll grab it.

(I also hate that, Cold War in particular, if you want the PS5/Xbox Series version, you have to buy the more expensive bundle in their respective storefronts. The base bundle SHOULD include both game versions, but, y’know, MONEY I guess)

Edited by Casey

I thought Valhalla was rather good, but I was put off by it being an "Assassin's Creed" game.  The game would work better as an original IP (imo) and the only real reason to brand it as AC is marketing/sales.  AC is probably my favorite franchise of the past 20 or so years, but I really only still have fondness for the first 7-8 games (through Rogue).  The past few games have been fine, but too far away from what I want out of the franchise.

3 hours ago, Eoae said:

I thought Valhalla was rather good, but I was put off by it being an "Assassin's Creed" game.  The game would work better as an original IP (imo) and the only real reason to brand it as AC is marketing/sales.  AC is probably my favorite franchise of the past 20 or so years, but I really only still have fondness for the first 7-8 games (through Rogue).  The past few games have been fine, but too far away from what I want out of the franchise.

This is me.  AC2 is my favorite game ever.  Ezio is my favorite character ever.  I liked all of the games through Rogue - yes even AC3.  But the changes they made with Origins just put me off.  I'm barely into that game and have no desire to go back.

• Like 1

Odyssey was the worst of the 3 easy, Origins was ok.  Valhalla is more flexible with the weapons and combat once you get used to it and can start figuring out combos.  The problem is you can't get to the end of the game proper because it comes CRASHING to a halt before the final area, where you pretty much have to do everything else possible to get your level up for the last stretch of game. 

5 hours ago, Casey said:

I liked Odyssey a lot, but I quit months and months ago after not being able to survive my first large battle. I’m curious about Valhalla, but like Odyssey, I won’t touch it until it’s in the $10-$15 range. Unless I can find a good price for the Series X/S version on a third party site like CDkeys or something. But, until then…

Gamefly had a preowned copy for $17.99 A couple weeks ago, so not too far off.  

I liked Odyssey more than Valhalla (never played Origins) but I think a lot of that is the location. I'm a big fan of greek mythology and less so of Norse mythology, and for whatever reason the forced Assassin's Creed-esque plot annoyed me more in Valhalla than Odyssey. And I didn't like how Valhalla ended. I still enjoyed both though. But yea the prices on AC games drops quick, by Black Friday I am sure Valhalla will be in the $15 range.

I'm kind of glad. I'm sure they wanted a spooky season release but it would've got lost in the shuffle for me at least with Battlefield and Back 4 Blood.

Btw, there's a B4B beta for people who've preordered and there will be an open beta next weekend. Decided to preorder because I knew I was getting it eventually. Fucking great stuff! It is very much a 2021 version of Left 4 Dead but with a weightiness I always felt the L4D series sorely lacked and a perk card system that is cool. Highly recommend checking out the beta next weekend if you have any interest at all. 

On 8/3/2021 at 8:07 AM, RIPPA said:

Do with that information what you will

In other news that will annoy people, Playground Games has hired the combat engine developer from CDPR to develop the combat engine for Fable 4.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, J.T. said:

In other news that will annoy people, Playground Games has hired the combat engine developer from CDPR to develop the combat engine for Fable 4.

At the very least, I had hoped that Fable 4 would at least make good on most of the stuff that Peter Molyneux over promised and under delivered on way back when because that wasn't feasible then, but it definitely is now. This doesn't give me high hopes for Fable 4. At least it won't be an on-rails game.

Far Cry 7 is rumored to be in development and is reportedly a live service game like Assassin's Creed Infinite.

I see myself playing fewer Ubi games in the future.  Then again, Ubisoft has a knack for making games I buy on day one then don't play for years, so maybe this is not a bad thing.  

• Haha 1

Axiom Verge 2 is being released on the Switch sometime today.  Not sure about PC and PlayStation.

(Edit: AX 2 is being released on PC, PS4, and Switch today.)

Nintendo held an Indie World Showcase today.  Apparently 4-6 games featured in the Showcase are releasing today.

Lol, I just saw a list on Twitter of 42 Switch titles releasing this week.  Said list is already out of date.

Edited by Eoae