DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Apparently I'm in the minority on this board and EWB, since I always LOVE the Devolver Digital presentations. I thought it was hilarious that this year's show was apparently a COVID vaccination fever dream and also a shot at every company gearing up to offer their own streaming service, much like the network/cable TV channels.

But yeah, so far this year, the only thing I've seen that's excited me is A Plague Tale and the Guardians game. Mildly interested in Starfield, but I'll need to see gameplay before I make a fair assessment on that one. Could be a Cyberpunk situation, could actually turn out to be a really fucking cool game - who knows. I fully expect Sony to announce a showcase after all the E3 buzz has died down, seems like something they'd do to get all the attention back on them.

So word on the street is that Everwild (the XBOX exclusive that Rare is doing) has been "completely rebooted" and has been delayed to 2024 at the earliest

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Apparently I'm in the minority on this board and EWB, since I always LOVE the Devolver Digital presentations. I thought it was hilarious that this year's show was apparently a COVID vaccination fever dream and also a shot at every company gearing up to offer their own streaming service, much like the network/cable TV channels.

It’s a minority of two, then, as the Devolver stuff is always one of the main highlights of E3 for me. It’s a perfect counter to the rest of the stuffed shirt conferences and a great lampooning of whatever is happening in gaming at the time.

It certainly helps that their games are generally pretty interesting as well. 

• Like 1

Honestly, i've been assuming nerd humor of the sort Devolver and Limited Run do plays well with most of their audience and I'm in the minority for not liking it.

I do dig Devolver as a publisher, though.

Sad to hear abut Everwild.  Was really interested in it.  The trailer they showed off last year was gorgeous.  Hilariously, there was a rumor going around yesterday that Microsoft was holding their really big exclusives for 2023 and that would be a monster year for them: Hellblade II, Fable. Perfect Dark, a couple new IPs, the new game from Moon Studios, Everwild, etc.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Excited for a new 2D Metroid. I’m more of a -Vania guy than a Metroid- guy but I loved Fusion for instance. 

Also glad I’ll have at least the option to play Guardians of the Galaxy on Switch.

Metroid 5, just sold me a Switch.

I have all three consoles so I don't necessarily consider myself biased, although I've had Nintendos since I was six years old so I probably lean towards them. Even that being said, I thought their presentation was lackluster and blown away by the Xbox/Bethesda one. Only one new cool game announced (Metroid Dread) but nothing else jumped out at me. Taking time to show every move of the Tekken dude in Smash Bros was a bad omen for the rest of it. Zelda "hoping" to be released in 2022 wasn't the announcement that was going to excite people, and there was no Pokemon, Nintendo Switch Pro, or any other catchy announcements. Some of the games look fun (and a few I will buy) but most were already announced or leaked by Nintendo.

I know only a fool goes into a presentation with high expectations, but even by normal expectations I think it was pretty disappointing.

Kazuya tossing everyone off the cliff was very meta and made me giggle a lot. I really wished it was there way of going "these are all the characters we have removed from the game". (And yes the Kirby bit was great)

Metroid Dread is an inst-buy.

Kazuya in Smash i'm excited about

Zelda BOTW 2 was a forgone conclusion and i will buy it, but no point getting super excited yet.

i saw on the Japanese Nintendo twitter feed that they're releasing a stand alone Zelda Game & Watch. don't know any details or if it's coming to the US, but i'm 100% in on that after skipping the mario one.

Advance Wars remake is no joke. SMT V would be the biggest JRPG release around the holidays unless Tales of Arise overachieves, so it's good to see that it's looking like it ought to (unlike Disgaea 6, woof). But yeah, Metroid. This was a pretty good Direct.

• Like 2

I played Advance Wars a little when I was younger and really want to play it again, but it’s kind of hitting me how tired I am of Nintendo’s remake formula and how costly they are. World Ends with You is another I want to play but don’t want to spend 60 bucks on. SMT3 just came out and is also 50 bucks. They’re never on sale, whereas I have a giant backlog of PS4 games I find on sale for dirt cheap. You get a few minor graphical updates for a major price update. And I really dislike the graphics, which just drives me to the originals even more. It reminds me of Pokémon how when they went to 3D it felt like it sucked all the charm out of the design. It really just encourages me to pirate, I wish they would put GBA and DS games on virtual console a lot more frequently, because the second hand price is so insanely inflated. I’ll probably end up buying a customized backlit GBA and flash cart soon.

I was in a group chat with some friends during Nintendo's E3 and it was blowing our minds. WarioWare, Metroid Dread (FINALLY), SMT V, and Advance Wars 1 & 2 are insta-buys for me. Fatal Frame would have been if it were Switch exclusive (instead it's coming to PS4/PS5, XBox/Series X, and Steam).

I'm not really surprised that Aonuma didn't have anything beyond Skyward Sword HD and a trailer for BOTW 2. He's getting up there in age so I don't think he has the desire to do a Zelda HD Collection (with OoT, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess). I feel like BOTW 2 will be his last Zelda game.

you know, i'm surprised the Zelda G&W doesn't include.....the Zelda G&W title. seems like a bizarre thing to not include, but to instead put a pretty unknown G&W title on there with the thinnest veil of Zelda over it.

3 hours ago, GojiColin said:

Japanese direct confirming Super Robot Wars 30 (with English translation)

Well, most likely the English translation will only be on the Asian version like the past SRW games, which means if there's a Premium Vocal version again that won't have English subs.

It's nice that Combattler returns; hopefully the other Choudenji brother shows up.

(Although I sort of wished they would have done a retro theme for the 30th anniversary since it's been a long time for OYW Gundams to be in a main SRW game)

On 6/15/2021 at 6:38 PM, Andrew POE! said:

I'm not really surprised that Aonuma didn't have anything beyond Skyward Sword HD and a trailer for BOTW 2. He's getting up there in age so I don't think he has the desire to do a Zelda HD Collection (with OoT, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess). I feel like BOTW 2 will be his last Zelda game.

Nintendo has confirmed that they don't have anything else planned for Zelda's anniversary.  So, no more remasters. 

Edit: Fresh set of rumors claiming Wind Waker and Twilight Princess remasters are done and still coming to Switch sometime after Skyward Sword HD is released, so who knows?  Hope so.

Edited by Eoae
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2