DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Also if folks are interested - the G4 folks (including Austin Creed) are about to do a live stream on Twitch discussing what they all just saw

26 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Full trailer within

I wish I enjoyed these type of games, but I played Bloodborne for about 10 minutes before I realized I hated it.  I don't think frustration is fun, but I'm into the art style, and would like to play a game written by George R.R. Martin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

Conversely, as one of Those People with probably 1K hours in the Dark Souls games combined, I think we can safely guess where I stand on this one.

Seconded ‘one of those people’. DS3 is the only game I have ever platinumed, I’m not the collectible obsessive type but any excuse to keep playing. Apart from Black Flag and Spelunky over the past year I’ve mainly just cycled through Sekiro,Bloodborne, DS1/2/3 (mostly DS2 for the variety of weapon options and atmosphere) with different builds, no death, lvl 1 challenges. To say I’m fucking hyped about the Jan 22 release date for Elden Ring would be putting it mildly.

• Like 1

I say I'm not very good at games and don't like hard games like Dark Souls, but apparently I'm full of poo.  Three of my favorite studios are PlatinumGames, From Software, and Team Ninja.  I'm hilariously bad at From and Team Ninja games but I certainly enjoy trying.

Ninja Gaiden Black is in my personal top 10.  Probably top 5.

January seems like a weird drop date, but not my problem.  Bring it on.

BTW, Ubisoft says Beyond Good and Evil 2 is still in "very, very early development.".  Lol, Metroid Prime 9 will get released first.

Edited by Eoae
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Eoae said:

January seems like a weird drop date, but not my problem.  Bring it on.

I could see it as trying to take advantage of a "new market" if you will

Post Christmas were - theoretically - folks have just gotten a brand new console (or were gifted money/gift cards). Plus it is far enough away from the traditional Sept/Oct/early Nov pre-Holiday release dates so there is less competition and folks have finished playing said games and are looking for something else

Kinda like how some blockbuster movies are finding more success (pre-pandemic) in Jan/Feb because there is less competition and folks are looking for new things

Koch Media has announced a 2nd video game division (Deep Silver was its first) called Prime Matter

They announced a bunch of games but really the only thing folks will know are that they are going to do Payday 3 and another Painkiller game

(And some of the things announced are games already out but coming to new consoles like Kingdom Come Deliverance is coming to the Switch... for reasons)

That Koch Media presentation is epic, 23 minutes of straight talk (no Powerpoint or anything) before they show like 10 seconds of game play. Afterwards at least 15 minutes (and counting) more straight talk. Someone should tell them that this is a video presentation and not a podcast. The nextlander guys have switched to 1995 E3 press conferences.

13 minutes ago, Robert s said:

That Koch Media presentation is epic, 23 minutes of straight talk (no Powerpoint or anything) before they show like 10 seconds of game play. Afterwards at least 15 minutes (and counting) more straight talk. Someone should tell them that this is a video presentation and not a podcast. The nextlander guys have switched to 1995 E3 press conferences.

This is why i watch these things afterwards.  The talking segments very seldom interest me much, so it's a lot more efficient to just watch it later and ff through everything that isn't a trailer.

At least I've learned something from years of watching RAW.

7 hours ago, Robert s said:

The whole thing was bad.  Quite a few people talking on Twitter how they lost interest and turned it off.  Stream ran 2 hours and was mostly talking - 10-15 min of gameplay in 2+ hrs (1 gameplay segment that went six minutes or so + 3 trailers and a mini-trailer).  Really wasn't a whole lot of info released beyond what was shown yesterday.  

IGN Expo was an easy watch - minimal talking, lots of trailers - but didn't show a whole lot that interested me.  Mortal Shell dlc upcoming.  Dark Devotion is getting a remixed, expanded re-release.  Original game was kinda average, but I have some hope for a longer version.  Boss designs were good.  2D metroidvanias channeling Dark Souls is already a crowded field, though.

I enjoyed the Tribeca games showcase even though I'm not into many of the games they showcased.  12 Minutes and Sable look head and shoulders above the rest to me.  

Sable demo is out.  People raving about it on Twitter.  Expecting to play it some tonight unless I unexpectedly manage to fall asleep before 3 AM.

Played a couple demos overnight.  Sable is lovely and really does seem like it may be something special.

Eternal Cylinder is very weird but seems like it may deliver the goods.  Basically, it's set on an alien planet and you play a small, non-threatening alien who must evolve to survive predators and harsh environmental conditions.  It really does seem like an alien world.  Your playable character starts out as a short, deformed Q*bert like creature with a trunk for a nose.  First order of business is to evolve and grow a set of long frog legs so you can jump.  Oh, and you're constantly on the run because there's a gigantic rolling cylinder blotting out the horizon behind you that crushes or burns anything in its path.  Developer ACE Team has churned out some very strange games in the past that haven't quite grabbed me (Deadly Tower of Monsters, Zeno Clash, Rock of Ages) but this looks like it might put the pieces together and be their best game.

Several presentations today so should lots of announcements and release dates.  Looking forward to Devolver Digital presentation the most.

As one of the few people who liked old Battlefield 2042, I will say I'm both excited abs disappointed for this new one. I was hoping it would be as futuristic as the old game, but I'm happy to not have another old war game again.