DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Review embargo on Returnal is over. 

Me. before reading the reviews: Eh, not that excited but I'll buy it to support Housemarque.  I wish they were making another Dead Nation instead.  It's a crime Outland never got a sequel.

Me. after reading a few reviews:

tumblr_p4blhcoSuw1s24yedo1_400.gif

Reviews have been really good so far.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Eoae said:

Review embargo on Returnal is over. 

Me. before reading the reviews: Eh, not that excited but I'll buy it to support Housemarque.  I wish they were making another Dead Nation instead.  It's a crime Outland never got a sequel.

Me. after reading a few reviews:

tumblr_p4blhcoSuw1s24yedo1_400.gif

Reviews have been really good so far.

I got mine on pre-order and I'll be picking it up today. Also, R-Type Final 2 is coming out today but it may be a very limited print and prove to be a rare game to find.

Also, the State of Play for Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart made me pre-order it so fast. It's like everything I loved about R&C but better.

4 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Also, the State of Play for Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart made me pre-order it so fast. It's like everything I loved about R&C but better.

I just watched State of Play a couple min ago, and felt the same.  Did anyone expect R&C to be the PS5's tech demo/proof of concept title?  I did not.  It looks astounding, from a technical standpoint.

Fall Guys on the XBox and Switch has been delayed indefinitely (they were supposed to come out this Summer)

The big reason is that Mediatonic has decided to wait until they can implement cross play (since they have access more resources now that they are owned by Epic Games)

Humankind is exactly the kind of evolution from Civilization I've been looking for. It's still in beta but this is great. Way more subtle in terms of approach, way more influence on ideology, cool random events that you can handle in different ways, love the region setup, trade routes in unoccupied regions between civs, independent states pop up in unoccupied regions too (similar to Civ but the interaction with them is better), and while I am a little indifferent with the evolving cultures (you can start with the Zhou and move to the Mayans in the next era, for instance), it's something I'll get used to. I'm glad they've put off on releasing it, as it could use more polish and hopefully more pizazz. There aren't many videos and those that do exist are generic and weak. No wonder videos. No specific cultural videos. Just ones for each era. But if that's my major complaint, it's doing a lot of things well in my book.

If you're tired of Civ or love the series and want a new challenge, I recommend giving this a shot. The dev beta is open until May 3rd and available to ppl who've preorderd. I wasn't going to pre order anything after Cyberpunk but I watched enough gameplay videos and I loved the direction they're going so I thought it pretty safe. Very happy with the purchase.

Edit: forgot to mention! The time between turns is hardly existent on my rig (was a nice one 3-4 years ago, now starting to get a little long in the tooth) on the highest settings and 4K resolution. That's big too.

Edited by Jiji

• 2 weeks later...

In what might be the new poster child for Development Hell - Ubisoft says Skull & Bones is delayed until late 2022-2023

I really guess it depends on if Beyond Good & Evil 2 is still actually in development or not

• Haha 2

I should have written “if you believe...” because Ubisoft can keep claiming that. I’m positive that game ain’t ever coming out

I feel like there's a fair chance Good & Evil 2 eventually sees the light of day, since there's a decent-sized audience waiting for it.

Wild, on the other hand.....

Given a choice, I'd much rather have Wild.

Edit: The good news is that Ubisoft reiterated yesterday that Far Cry 6 and the Sands of Time remake are still expected to release later in 2021.

Edited by Doc Townsend

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Oh, hmm, Biomutant is a previous gen release. Here's hoping there's a current gen upgrade at some point. 

haha it took them years to QA this version, if it was a current gen release it probably would have been out in 2024. As long as its still pretty I'll let it slide as long as its not buggy, hopefully they put that extra time to good use.

18 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

haha it took them years to QA this version, if it was a current gen release it probably would have been out in 2024. As long as its still pretty I'll let it slide as long as its not buggy, hopefully they put that extra time to good use.

That's fair and I suppose it not being buggy is my hope as well because it looks really freaking cool. I had zero knowledge of this game until a couple weeks ago and now I've watched a ton of videos for it. 

Back in Feb, Experiment 101's creative director assured everyone that the game would be playable on Series X and PS5.  But nothing concrete has been announced by the studio and his comments were vague enough that he may have just meant the game ran fine via backwards compatibility.  Supposedly, performance will be improved on current gen systems even without optimization.

I'm not too fussed about a Series X patch so long as it looks good and runs well.  Everything I've heard or read about it lately has been extremely positive, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

I watched another video for it last night, this one from Game Informer. It was their last preview of the game, but it was a hands off preview. Basically, they went to Experiment 101 and someone there played it and then Experiment 101 gave them the video so Game Informer could commentate over it. It was all very positive sounding and it looked cool. Reminds me a little of Fable and Fallout.

The Giant Bomb Quick Look is the thing I want to see the most, but I don't think that happens until after the game comes out.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Starfield (the new Bethesda IP) will be a XBOX and PC exclusive

I'm angry I won't get to play this on a PS5, but given Bethesda's past performance issues on PlayStation consoles, this is just as well. This may make me get a Xbox Series X or S.

1 hour ago, Andrew POE! said:

I'm angry I won't get to play this on a PS5, but given Bethesda's past performance issues on PlayStation consoles, this is just as well. This may make me get a Xbox Series X or S.

After Cyberpunk, I'm never preordering another CDPR or Bethesda game considering how old and busted the Fallout/Skyrim engine is and apparently that's the same shit Starfield AND the next Elder Scrolls game are being made with.

• Like 2

Here is the full Mario Golf: Super Rush roster:

Spoiler
  • Mario
  • Luigi
  • Wario
  • Waluigi
  • Peach
  • Daisy
  • Yoshi
  • Bowser
  • Bowser Jr.