DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

29 minutes ago, Eoae said:

I haven't watched either, due to video quality and some questions about what's legit and what's not.

I keep reading rumors that the game is going to be shown at a Microoft event this month, so we'll see what happens with that.

I mean, it looks legit enough and it's FromSoftware as fuck. There's also definitely a slight Game of Thrones type feel to it, but ultimately, it looks like a Souls game with more of a narrative. Mind you, the trailer or teaser I saw was a minute or less so who knows.

Much like many pie in the sky games, I'll believe this shit when I see it, and after learning a lesson from Cyberpunk, I'll play it when I know it's not busted.

• Like 1

Microsoft swears they won't show any games at their event this month so it's probably going to be a typical Microsoft Azure Teams connected cloud reality bullshit they do now but with Xbox.

I'd rather see more of Elden Ring at E3 and I'm hoping FROM Software isn't pulling a Dark Souls II on us.

I've never expected anything from Elden Ring except "the next Souls-like but with open world elements" as that is, essentially, all we were ever promised from the concept. No matter what the hype has blown it up to in people's minds. And frankly that was a relief, I am pretty over companies promising games that will have Every Game Feature You Can Think Of and then delivering on half of them.

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

I've never expected anything from Elden Ring except "the next Souls-like but with open world elements" as that is, essentially, all we were ever promised from the concept. 

The hype for this game seems odds to me.  I like From's Soulsbornes quite a bit and would pick up anything Hidetaka Miyazaki had a major hand in developing, but Miyazaki has basically made the same game five times now (six, if you count Dark Souls II, which Miyazaki produced but didn't direct).  I mean, I enjoyed Sekiro and Bloodborne more than Souls, but the elevator pitch for both games was probably "Do you think we could remake Bloodborne, but set it in Victorian England?  We can?  Cool, cool.  How about feudal Japan?  Can we set it in Japan."

As much as I like the series, i don't consider it ambitious and I don't really consider Miyazaki an auteur.

I'll be surprised if Elden Ring is anything but Dark Souls set in a fantasy world similar to Lord of the Rings (I don't remember what they call the LotR world.  Midgard?)

Sounds interesting, though maybe not something I’d run out and buy.  Besides the OLED screen, the article mentions a larger screen size and 4K support in docked mode.  No mention of more processing power or a hi he increase in memory storage.  Might not benefit me much, since I don’t own a 4K tv or have any interest in handheld mode.  I tried out handheld mode the day I bought my first Switch and haven’t taken it out of the dock since. 

Dogwelder posted while I was typing.  Oops.

Edited by Eoae

I don't get how you can say Miyazaki made the same game 6 times. Sekiro plays nothing like any of those other games, like, at all. Also the jump from Dark Souls 1/2 into 3/Bloodborne's engine changes is pretty fucking substantial in terms of how drastically it alters the pace of play.

If this Super Nintendo Switch or Switch Pro is a real thing, can they PLEASE also make some Joycons for people with adult sized hands? It's not like I have massive paws or anything. I think I only wear a L for winter gloves, but the Joycons are such a literal pain to use. It's hand cramp city and I find that my index fingers constantly hit the shoulder buttons when it's on the little black Joycon holder. I have a Pro controller, but I have to use the Joycons when it's charging.

• Like 2

I bought those larger ones that Hori made for Daemon X Machina. They only work in handheld, and don't have rumble, so it's a compromise, but they are a lot more comfortable. Split pad pro I think it's called.

17 hours ago, Craig H said:

If this Super Nintendo Switch or Switch Pro is a real thing, can they PLEASE also make some Joycons for people with adult sized hands? It's not like I have massive paws or anything. I think I only wear a L for winter gloves, but the Joycons are such a literal pain to use. It's hand cramp city and I find that my index fingers constantly hit the shoulder buttons when it's on the little black Joycon holder. I have a Pro controller, but I have to use the Joycons when it's charging.

THIS. I find myself only be able to play on my Switch for maybe an hour due to this. Beyond that time, I'm having to find aspirin.

With Nintendo being Nintendo, I don't see them calling it a Switch Pro or Switch XL  or a Super Nintendo Switch, just Nintendo Switch. They had a newer model that had less power consumption and they didn't make noise about it, just released it and kept the name.

Assuming there is no processing power upgrade, I would guess Switch XL. Fits how they've done the 3DS line over the last decade.

If they do upgrade the processor, then New Nintendo Switch seems possible.

Edited by Brian Fowler

I'm kinda hoping they don't upgrade the processor power.  I'm not a fan of ".5" generation consoles, where you worry a little that new games won't run well on your og console or that you're missing out a bit by not upgrading.  I'm having a little trouble imagining Nintendo leaning too hard into a Switch Pro upgrade that possibly leaves the majority of their existing fanbase feeling left out.  

On the other hand, the company is claiming the Switch is only midway through its life cycle and I wonder how easy its going to be to attract third-party ports without a power boost.  Developers jump through hoops now to get Switch ports done without major concessions.  That's only going to get worse as people get use to programming on the PS5 and XBSX.

They need to upgrade the processor if they're going bigger. They have to, otherwise, how the fuck are they going to put out video in 4K when docked and 720p when handheld? That's more than a .5 upgrade.

I also don't know how much further they're going to be able to push the Switch. The PS5 is easily the biggest console, DVD player, or VHS player I've ever owned. If you don't have one, then you don't know how fucking massive this thing is. I was in the process of designing and building a new cabinet/tv stand and I basically had to scrap how I had the shelves setup just so it could fit the PS5. That thing is as big as it is to consistently put out 1080p and 4K video. It's a powerhouse and maybe they'll find a way to make the footprint smaller, but I doubt it's going to be that much smaller. Even still, the Switch is TINY in comparison. Outside of using magic, I don't know how Nintendo gets close to any kind of parity with Sony or Microsoft. Performance wise, that is.

Dotemu did the fucking perfect Streets Of Rage 4, so yeah, ALL IN on Shredder's Revenge!!!

Edit: Mike Patton singing the TMNT theme?!?! What a world we live in!

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 11:38 AM, Death From Above said:

Typically I'd agree the .5 upgrade is not great but the Switch was *so* underpowered out of the gate that I think we could make an exception here. Like, 20% of its own games don't run that well, you know?

From a purely technical standpoint, I agree.  But I also hate the idea that Nintendo has sold millions of Switches just in the past six months and is (potentially) going to tell those customers "Well, you should have waited and bought this new, lot more powerful Switch".  It's yet another predatory sales tactic in an industry full of them.  I'm seen rumors online that their may be "Switch Pro" exclusives.  Even if there's not, you'll probably inevitably get developers developing games for the Switch Pro and doing a poor job optimizing them for the base unit.  Didn't Nintendo have that problem with one of their handhelds?  The 3DS, maybe?  

After Sony and Microsoft released .5 consoles, there seemed to be an unspoken assumption that you had to buy the newer model if you wanted a quality experience.  Not a lot of developers have programmed for/on the PS4 Slim in recent years, and not many reviewers test games on the older models.  And a new Switch could potentially be a greater jump than what Microsoft and Sony did.

I've always thought that one of the selling points of home consoles was that everyone's playing on the same hardware, so you're not getting into the continuous upgrade loop you fall into with PC gaming.  Personally, if they do announce a Switch Pro soon, I'm going to feel a bit burned since I bought two Switches in the past few months (my wife wanted her own, plus the red/blue Mario model).  I can afford to upgrade and will probably sell my older Switch model while trade-in prices are still high if the Pro is real, but it's still an annoying way to pry money from me.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I've never hooked up my Switch to the TV, so an upgraded output on thr Pro doesn't mean much to me. 

Well, the OLED screen will probably be a fair improvement.  Resolution in handheld mode still isn't going to be anything to special though (allegedly).

I'm just the opposite.  I played in handheld mode the day the Switch was released and.... haven't undocked the console since.  Really, the visual upgrade probably won't mean anything to me.  I don't have any interest in handheld mode and i don't own a 4k tv, so...

Edited by Eoae

On 3/9/2021 at 11:32 AM, Craig H said:

I don't know how Nintendo gets close to any kind of parity with Sony or Microsoft. Performance wise, that is.

you're 100% right, but that's not how Nintendo approaches things. They haven't been "on par" since (and i'm being generous here) the n64 days. they have settled fairly successfully into the "secondary console for gamers with wide appeal to reach non-gamers" role. suggesting that they will even attempt to match the ps5 is just incorrect.

as to rumors of "Switch Pro-exclusive games, i think we can chill for a bit. for one, a Switch Pro has never been announced or hinted at by Nintendo. It has been rumored for literal years without an evidence. for two, upgraded system-only games barely happened with the New 3DS and met with a good amount of backlash. i don't see N doing that again so soon.

Square Enix will be doing its own version of like a Nintendo Direct or a Sony State of Play next week (Thursday, March 18)

The are expected to announce the next Life is Strange game

It seems like there will be a lot of mobile games and updates and current games (like Marvel's Avengers) so don't necessarily get your hopes up

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Square Enix will be doing its own version of like a Nintendo Direct or a Sony State of Play next week (Thursday, March 18)

OMG FF7 remastered part 2 coming in April!

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

so don't get your hopes up

too late! if my prediction doesn't come true then i'm going all cancel culture on Square

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The are expected to announce the next Life is Strange game

It seems like there will be a lot of mobile games and updates and current games (like Marvel's Avengers) so don't necessarily get your hopes up

Site I frequent said that Life Is Strange 3 would be called True Colors and would star an Asian American girl (how much that is true I don't know).

I don't know why -- but I have a feeling they are going to announce Final Fantasy VII Remake Go. Either that or Deus Ex Go.

10 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

I don't know why -- but I have a feeling they are going to announce Final Fantasy VII Remake Go. Either that or Deus Ex Go.

Is that basically what Final Fantasy VII: Ever Crisis or whatever is going to be?

Anyways, I'm hoping for more FF XIV 6.0 stuff, a general FF VII R2.0 date (like, late next year, nothing specific), and another FF XVI teaser that will still have no women in it.