DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

I found State of Play to be a bit underwhelming. It's nice to know the release dates for Oddworld: Soulstorm and Kena: Bridge of Spirits and beyond Final Fantasy VII Remake getting a PS5 port, there wasn't much new.

I keep hearing rumors about The Last of Us Part II getting a PS5 remaster and Factions multiplayer being revealed along with Horizon: Zero Dawn getting a PS5 remaster too, but I guess it wasn't during this month's State of Play.

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And one last thing about EA - I posted the specific point in the Dragon Age thread however it appears that EA has bailed on the concept of "games as service"

Basically - Dragon Age 4 will be a single player game and that is due to A) Jedi Fallen Order doing well and B) Anthem... well... not doing well.

Thank god. Not every game needs a multiplayer mode. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And one last thing about EA - I posted the specific point in the Dragon Age thread however it appears that EA has bailed on the concept of "games as service"

Basically - Dragon Age 4 will be a single player game and that is due to A) Jedi Fallen Order doing well and B) Anthem... well... not doing well.

I don't really buy EA reversing course on DA4 simply because one game did well and the other didn't.

EA has bailed on the concept of games as service because the whole loot box thing is fertile ground for lawsuits and those idiots can't wrap their heads around the idea of incorporating multiplayer that doesn't involve generating revenue. 

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I keep thinking one of these days I should actually try playing a Pokemon game. Just out of the general principle that I have 7* Nintendo consoles or handhelds in my possession and have never played anything Pokemon.

I have no idea what I would start with or anything. 

*Granted, most of them are two different versions of essentially the same console, so only 4 unique ones, but still...

Edited by Brian Fowler

Well, I've heard horror stories about this Outriders demo / beta that's available this weekend, but I am dumb so I am going to download it and try to play it anyway.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Well, I've heard horror stories about this Outriders demo / beta that's available this weekend, but I am dumb so I am going to download it and try to play it anyway.

I watched one play through of the demo and... it is a demo

I am still a little curious to it because it was hard to know what was going on since the people I were watching were very grumpy about playing what turned out to be another cover based shooter that had WAY too many cut scenes at the start

So, I have a potentially dumb question but please bear with me. I see a few NES games that never got releases here eventually did in the Virtual Console store for both the WII and WII-U. If I purchased one of these systems, does the VC work on either of them anymore? I'd assume it's more likely on the WII-U than the WII. Also, if one or both is still functional, are there rumblings of them being shut down? Is there a VC on the Switch? Thanks guys!

8 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

So, I have a potentially dumb question but please bear with me. I see a few NES games that never got releases here eventually did in the Virtual Console store for both the WII and WII-U. If I purchased one of these systems, does the VC work on either of them anymore? I'd assume it's more likely on the WII-U than the WII. Also, if one or both is still functional, are there rumblings of them being shut down? Is there a VC on the Switch? Thanks guys!

Not sure about Wii/Wii U but sadly there isn't one for Switch. They have NES and SNES online but the selection is not that great. 

On 2/26/2021 at 6:32 PM, Andrew POE! said:

Pokemon Legends: Arceus looks like they went full Breath of the Wild while we wait on Zelda BOTW 2 in 2022/2023/2024/2025/whenever. I may actually get it even though I don't understand Pokemon and couldn't name one if I tried.

I don't know shit about Pokémon and will still give this a try. Luckily I play Pokémon Go and my wife is obsessed with them so I'm not completely clueless.

20 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I watched one play through of the demo and... it is a demo

I am still a little curious to it because it was hard to know what was going on since the people I were watching were very grumpy about playing what turned out to be another cover based shooter that had WAY too many cut scenes at the start

It's more of an open beta than a demo.  You have to register and link a Squeenix account to your Xbox profile in order to play it but any progress you make in the beta transfers to the actual game, so you're encouraged to explore and get to as much of the unlocked content as you can.

Yeah, so it plays something like a hybrid of Gears of War and Destiny with way too much inventory management and a storyline that is eerily similar to ME: Andromeda.  The learning curve is pretty steep once you're done with the backstory.  

DFA's review pretty much sums up why this name is not very good.

Edited by J.T.

11 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

The Wii eshop closed 1/30/19. As it stands today (i just logged on to check), the Wii-U VC is still alive, but beware that the selection for the Wii-U was severely less than what was available on the Wii.  Also, there's no telling when it will close down too. That being said, there's still plenty of good games on there.

Wii U and 3DS virtual shops are both still open, and have some classic games, though, as mentioned, not nearly as many as the Wii had.

(SNES games are only playable on the New 3ds/3ds XL/2DS XL and not the original models.)

There's been some Elden Ring trailers floating around out there, but the couple I saw have such poor video quality that I'm not even going to bother posting them here. Looks like Demon Souls though.

I haven't watched either, due to video quality and some questions about what's legit and what's not.

I keep reading rumors that the game is going to be shown at a Microoft event this month, so we'll see what happens with that.