DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

i feel like F-Zero could be popular on the switch. i'm not big on re-releases, but porting GX (from the Gamecube) and adding missing characters/tracks/music from even older games could be fairly straightforward and make enough $$ to justify its own existence.

5 hours ago, Super Ape said:

Ninja Gaiden trilogy re-release? A bunch of people who didn't have an Xbox are gonna be mad as shit online.

Like me.

It's not a Switch exclusive.  Coming to Xbox and PlayStation at the same time.

That Direct was... underwheming, at best. A couple games I'll buy but nothing too exciting.  We'd already heard about Monster Hunter, No More Heroes III, and the Capcom arcade revivals.  

The Annapurna project (Neon White?  Was that the title?) didn't interest me a whole lot, but it's Annapurna.  I'll give it a look.

Looking forward to the Ninja Gaiden trilogy, but I won't be picking that up on Switch.

Edited by Eoae

Really didn't expect this to be the most interesting game (to me) announced today.

Birds running a post office.  I mean, what else would they do?

Edit: I stand corrected.  Neon White might be the most interesting game announced today.  Apparently it was developed by Ben Esposito, the creator of Donut County.  And I'm fairly certain that the voiceover at the beginning is Steve Blum, the voice of TOM the robot from Adult Swim.

Edited by Eoae

SaGa Frontier Remastered, Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection, and Legend of Mana will have my money when they are out. The only drawback with Ninja Gaiden will be it will be the Sigma versions, so Xbox One will get that (as far as I can tell). Plus, you get to play Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge in 4K, which thank God you aren't having to play the original Ninja Gaiden 3. No wants that. Although if Koei Tecmo wanted to, they could have it be ALL the releases of Ninja Gaiden on consoles (Xbox version of Ninja Gaiden, Ninja Gaiden Black, Xbox 360's Ninja Gaiden II, and yes the original Ninja Gaiden III too along with Sigma 1 & 2 and Razor's Edge).

I'm 'eh' towards No More Heroes III. People seem to forget that the gameplay for the first two were boring as hell.

Neon White looks great and Knockout City actually looks like fun.

Now where's Shadows of the Damned Remastered?

5 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

The only drawback with Ninja Gaiden will be it will be the Sigma versions, so Xbox One will get that (as far as I can tell).

Xbox One/XBS|X, PS4/PS5, Switch and PC (Steam), unless I'm not understanding what you're saying here.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Xbox One/XBS|X, PS4/PS5, Switch and PC (Steam), unless I'm not understanding what you're saying here.

He means that the remasters of NG 1 & 2 are going to be based on the PS3 enhanced ports (which were released under the titles Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2), not the original Xbox Xbox/360 versions.

The PS3 versions were developed after Tomonobu Itagaki left Team Ninja.  Some people don't like some of the changes they made.  I don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other, but I'd probably preferr they remaster the Xbox versions or include all the various editions in the package. 

Edited by Eoae
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

I'm 'eh' towards No More Heroes III. People seem to forget that the gameplay for the first two were boring as hell.

I like the game a lot more than you, it seems, but yeah.  When the trailer panned to Travis mowing grass (again), I groaned.  I just played NMH: Heroes Paradise on the PS3 a couple weeks ago.  I dunno that I want to fight aliens bad enough to mow a bunch of yards.  Would it really be that bad if we let the aliens win?

On 2/17/2021 at 12:13 PM, Craig H said:

I'm probably in the minority, but I hate the Donkey Kong Country games.

Every time you say that, a mustached angle loses his wings.  You know that right?

Edited by Eoae

Another thing I'm in the minority on - I think Splatoon kinda sucks. My daughter likes Splatoon 2 and played that online and played through the expansion content, but every time I've played it I thought the controls were some of the worst for a shooter. It just feels very stiff. The concept of painting a map with your color is neat, but the execution is crap. So Splatoon 3 does nothing for me and makes the Direct even more of a letdown.

I mean, they actually went on the video and said we know you want BotW 2 info, but we don't have anything to give you, so here's the worst Zelda game ever (not including the Panasonic ones). Nothing about Metroid, whatever the Xenoblade studio is up to, Genshin Impact on Switch, whatever is going on with NES and SNES stuff and if N64 will be added to that, etc. 

My hope is that similar to how we got a Mario specific direct for Mario's 35th anniversary, we'll get something similar for Zelda. I'm not getting those hopes up too high though.

33 minutes ago, Casey said:

Oh my sweet summer child.

Oh, I know they don't give a shit. Nintendo makes me actually appreciate WWE putting out the WWE Network and saying, "Ok here you go! Here's EVERYTHING!" Nintendo is like "We're giving you NES and SNES games! Isn't that exciting! Here's 30 games to start...oh...what? When will there be more? Well, I guess when we feel like it and it will only be obscure things instead of the things you loved from your childhood."

Nintendo is one of the few companies that could make a fortune off of just doing the easiest shit and they just...refuse to do it. Or they do it not even half way.

Look, I will buy all of the new shit. I will also buy easy re-releases of stuff. Part of the reason I got Nintendo Online was to play Zelda 2 on my TV. So I will pay actual money if they just quickly re-release the Metroid Primes, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and hell, even the Kid Icarus game for the GC.

But Twilight Princess and Skyword Sword can both fuck off. Those games suck and are the worst Legend of Zelda games.

On 2/17/2021 at 11:13 AM, Craig H said:

I'm probably in the minority, but I hate the Donkey Kong Country games.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Another thing I'm in the minority on - I think Splatoon kinda sucks.

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Look, I will buy all of the new shit. I will also buy easy re-releases of stuff. I will pay actual money if they just quickly re-release the Metroid Primes, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and hell, even the Kid Icarus game for the GC.

But Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword can both fuck off. Those games suck and are the worst Legend of Zelda games.

i like DKC, never played 2 or 3, and loved DKC Returns and, to a lesser extent, Tropical Freeze. interested on why you hate them.

i'm not a fan of Splatoon. semi-interesting concept, but not really my kind of game.

there was no Kid Icarus game for the GC. maybe you're thinking of the 3ds release?

Zelda is my favorite franchise, ever. I haven't played Wind Waker because i can't stand the graphic design of the whole thing. Skyward Sword started off OK but got tedious quickly. too much backtracking and playing the same areas over again. Twilight Princess i initially hated because i got stuck as the wolf and couldn't figure out what to do. Put it aside for years. Once i returned to it (breaking my own code by reading a walkthrough) it was more enjoyable. Honestly i've been afraid to replay OOT (haven't touched it since i beat it back in '98 or whatever) because i'm sure it doesn't hold up whatsoever and i don't think i can deal with that kind of letdown. Give me top-down Zeldas or give me death. Zelda 2 is tough but fun, so it gets a pass.

Edited by twiztor

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Another thing I'm in the minority on - I think Splatoon kinda sucks. My daughter likes Splatoon 2 and played that online and played through the expansion content, but every time I've played it I thought the controls were some of the worst for a shooter. It just feels very stiff. The concept of painting a map with your color is neat, but the execution is crap. So Splatoon 3 does nothing for me and makes the Direct even more of a letdown.

I was briefly excited when they first started the trailer because I thought, "Wow, Nintendo is doing a Horizon: Zero Dawn like game in the Splatoon universe." Then it showed the city and I thought, "What, you mean you get to explore it like Yakuza and go to a baseball practice place or do karaoke or find an arcade that lets you play Mario Bros. or Donkey Kong? Sweet, sign me up."

But nope.....just more Splatoon. Prepare to paint floors for 100s of hours. Everything else we saw was probably hub world stuff.

Out of everything Nintendo has done, I can't muster up any enthusiasm for Splatoon. The music has a lot of punk rock energy, but that's it.

• Like 2