DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

8 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Final Fantasy XIV is coming to PS5.

I guess I should just stop what I'm doing and work on the Platinum for the PS4 version -- there's a possibility there may be a PS5 trophy patch.

But that requires logging 1000 trees and synthesize 1000 culinary items and.....yeech.

Yeah, I could not even begin to imagine the insanity of some of those trophies. I am very meh about crafting and gathering, I just do it for the stories, that would drive me absolutely insane.

5.5 in April, 5.5 part 2 (not sure if they'll number it differently) in late May, and 6.0 (Fly Me To the Moon) in Late Fall. My apologies if I woke up anyone this morning with my screeching, some of those screenshots and trailers are fucking insanely good.

Artsy puzzle adventure Maquette got a new trailer today to go with its release date and voice cast reveal.

Release date is March 2, 2021.

Bryce Dallas Howard and Seth Gabel (married in real-life) voice the lead roles.  Gabel is mostly known for a role on nip/tuck.  He also did a season-long stint on Fringe.  Plot is a love story set in a recursive world (think Chinese puzzle boxes where the larger outer world contains smaller versions of itself).

Not entirely sold on the concept, but it's being published by Annapurna Interactive, so it'll probably be good if games like Gorogoa are your thing.  I'm in.

37 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Artsy puzzle adventure Maquette got a new trailer today to go with its release date and voice cast reveal.

Release date is March 2, 2021.

Bryce Dallas Howard and Seth Gabel (married in real-life) voice the lead roles.  Gabel is mostly known for a role on nip/tuck.  He also did a season-long stint on Fringe.  Plot is a love story set in a recursive world (think Chinese puzzle boxes where the larger outer world contains smaller versions of itself).

Not entirely sold on the concept, but it's being published by Annapurna Interactive, so it'll probably be good if games like Gorogoa are your thing.  I'm in.

Like other Annapurna games (except for maybe Sayonara Wild Hearts), it may prove to be an easy Platinum. Although that's not the reason why I'm getting it.

I'm actually surprised it was coming so soon -- I thought it would be late 2021/early 2022.

This was canceled by Konami over a decade ago.  Konami is no longer involved. Highwire Games is developing the game, Victors is publishing.  Not familiar with Highwire, but they were founded by a couple of ex-Bungie designers apparently.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart has gotten a release date of June 11

I will probably get it day 1, but I need to Platinum/beat Ratchet & Clank A Crack in Time....for PS3 first. Along with beating every other installment in the series.

Fine, I'll just wait until Black Friday to get it, I might have time by then.

• Like 1

Yeah I still haven't played more than a few minutes of Ratchet & Clank PS4 so I'm gonna hold off... In fact, with the exception of Horizon: Forbidden West, I am not planning on buying ANY new games until next Christmas time. PS+ keeps cranking out stuff I came within a hair of picking up, and my backlog is stupid big. That said? I'm glad lots of good PS5 games are rolling out!

At the rate I play PS4 games now (I only got through Yakuza 6 and Far Cry 3 last year) by the time I get through my backlog, I'll be able to get a PS5 for $200.  I'm not even counting the PS+ games, because I don't think I'm going to renew when it lapses in a couple of months.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/12/2021 at 9:34 AM, Neil Koch said:

At the rate I play PS4 games now (I only got through Yakuza 6 and Far Cry 3 last year) by the time I get through my backlog, I'll be able to get a PS5 for $200.  I'm not even counting the PS+ games, because I don't think I'm going to renew when it lapses in a couple of months.

By the time I get through my PS3 backlog, the PS6 will be out.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

By the time I get through my PS3 backlog, the PS6 will be out.

No shame in that.  The PS3/Xbox 360/Wii generation has an incredible library.  In a lot of ways, I prefer that generation of games to the PS4/XOne gen.  That's not a knock on current-gen games.

When I bought a PS5 and XBSX, my plan was to pack up the PS3 and X360.  Then I remembered there are soooo many good games for those consoles.   What actually happened was I bought a new tv and a few other supplies and set up a second gaming area in a different room (we have lots of space now that all of our kids have moved out).  

So many good games from that era that still haven't been remastered, ported, made backwards compatible, replaced by similar sequels, etc.  Legit surprised that LittleBigPlanet hasn't been remastered for current gen.

There's quite a few of good-ish games from the PS3/X360 catalog that aren't outstanding and will never sell enough to make remastering or b/c a priority, but I personally love too much to just pack away.   LBP, Puppeteer, Rain, Afro Samurai, Beautiful Katamari, the NCAA sports titles, El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron, the PS3 Ratchet and Clank titles, etc., etc., etc.

Such a great gen.  It's odd to me that the advent of digital distribution has seemingly made the major publishers and developers more risk-adverse, not less (since digital publishing is a lot cheaper than manufacturing discs).   

Edit: Oh, and Wii would be a top 5 console for me if the tech issues weren't a pain to fool with.  I don't share Nintendo' enthusiasm for motion controllers, and the fact that they made a standard (classic) controller then didn't patch in support for most games is annoying.  I'd love Donkey Kong Country Returns and Super Mario Galaxy a lot more if you could play it with a standard control scheme.  Also, that frikking sensor bar is a not a favorite of mine.

Still want Last Story and Pandora's Tower to get the Xenoblade deluxe edition treatment on Switch.

Edited by Eoae

On 2/11/2021 at 12:45 PM, Eoae said:

This was canceled by Konami over a decade ago.  Konami is no longer involved. Highwire Games is developing the game, Victors is publishing.  Not familiar with Highwire, but they were founded by a couple of ex-Bungie designers apparently.

Today, the head of the publishing company indicated that the game is “not trying to make a political statement.”

https://www.polygon.com/2021/2/15/22279600/six-days-in-fallujah-interview-iraq-war-politics

I wish Polygon had pushed back harder on this article. Rami Ismail (@tha_rami) has been tearing into this dude’s statement on Twitter. It’s a thread worth reading.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1361409118146334720.html

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jiji said:

How likely is it we get an update on the Breath of the Wild sequel? It's that series' 35th anniversary this year, isn't it? 

Folks are hoping they do a Direct dedicated only to Zelda like they did for Mario and its 35th anniversary

Whether that happens is a different story

I feel like all of the directs find a way to talk about Smash Bros. and I couldn't give a shit about that game. Count me in for hearing more about Breath of the Wild 2.

Also, I can practically guarantee we'll hear in the next couple months that they're bringing Ocarina of Time to the Switch. Why? Because I bought my daughter it for the N64 for Christmas, which was around $40 or so, and then I just spent $130 on a converter so Dreamcast, N64, and PS2 games wouldn't look like dogshit on a modern TV. So it seems like it's the best time to invalidate me spending $170 on basically one game (although I'll use the converter for going back to play Power Stone 1 and 2 with my daughter, Def Jam 2, and Here Comes the Pain).

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

How likely is it we get an update on the Breath of the Wild sequel? It's that series' 35th anniversary this year, isn't it? 

Apparently, tomorrow's Direct is focused on already released games (ie, Smash Bros. DLC) and games coming out in the first half of 2021.  So..... 

The original Legend of Zelda was released on 2-21-1986 in Japan, so the 35th anniversary of the first release is Sunday.  I'm kind of hoping they announce some sort of remaster collection akin to Super Mario All-Stars or something of the sort.  I don't think they'll drop BoTW info yet (though I won't mind being wrong about that).

If you look at a timeline for BotW 2, you could see it coming out this holiday so we might get some more info for it. Or maybe we get a new, full trailer for BotW 2 with an announcement for a 2022 release.

I can be patient and wait on BotW 2, but I would love it if we got Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Windwaker, and Phantom Hourglass on the Switch. Hell, maybe we'll get something really crazy and a surprise announcement for a 3rd Windwaker style game.

Other than that, I'm hoping for maybe a re-release of the Metroid Prime trilogy with any sort of news for Metroid Prime 4.

The other thing that would be fucking rad would be a new Power Stone game. Awhile ago Capcom said they would be focusing on fan favorite Capcom games that haven't received any love for years. Power Stone basically fits that description.

46 minutes ago, Craig H said:

If you look at a timeline for BotW 2, you could see it coming out this holiday so we might get some more info for it. Or maybe we get a new, full trailer for BotW 2 with an announcement for a 2022 release.

I can be patient and wait on BotW 2, but I would love it if we got Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Windwaker, and Phantom Hourglass on the Switch. Hell, maybe we'll get something really crazy and a surprise announcement for a 3rd Windwaker style game.

Other than that, I'm hoping for maybe a re-release of the Metroid Prime trilogy with any sort of news for Metroid Prime 4.

The other thing that would be fucking rad would be a new Power Stone game. Awhile ago Capcom said they would be focusing on fan favorite Capcom games that haven't received any love for years. Power Stone basically fits that description.

There was a rumor a week or two ago that Nintendo had applied for new trademarks on a couple of old Zelda names: Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, & Wind Waker (I'm probably not phrasing that right, but that's the gist of it).  If true, that at least implies some sort of Switch remaster collection.

As much as I'd like to see some new games, I'd be thrilled with remasters of N64/GameCube Zelda games, a 3D Donkey Kong collection, etc.  It will probably never happen, but my personal wish list would include Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Editions-style remasters of The Last Story and Pandora's Tower, and remasters of some of the offbeat GameCube titles.  I can't be the only one who wants Chibi-Robo and Skies of Arcadia on the Switch.