DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

9 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Yeah Fallen Order was good but EA couldn't have honestly done much worse having Star Wars for as long as they did.

And the poor MMO that got shafted. EA just doesn't know what to do with it.

Got to play a bit of the Pedestrian on PC and loved it.  Looking forward to d/l it for PS4/5 later this week.  It's basically a stylistic puzzle game.  The background is really appealing, showing life going on as normal in a nicely rendered version of NYC.   Sadly, you don't play in that.  You play in a variety of street signs and signs hanging from walls, poles, and fences in the background.  Basically, you have to arrange the signs so that your stick-figure player-character can complete the level.  Parts I played were doable, but I'm told later levels take up multiple screens and have lots of moving parts.  Everything I've heard or seen about the PC version has been great.

Actually, this is a surprisingly good week for January.  New Dead Cells dlc released today, along with Sims 4 dlc and retro action platformer Cyber Shadow (doesn't look remarkable to me, but getting a lot of buzz; people hoping it is next Shovel Knight).

Later this week is Pedestrian and the Medium.  Medium is an Xbox Series X|S exclusive about a psychic investigating a murder.  Made by Bloober Team, which has made a number of other good horror games lately.  I generally ignore horror but I want to support Xbox exclusives in the hope that someone, y'know, makes more of them.  And I'm sort of intrigued by the developer saying this game couldn't be made to run on Xbox One because the split-screen sections (set in both real world and spirit world) were too much for the XOne.  This was originally announced as an X360 title.

Also have high hopes for Gods May Fall, an isometric action rpg about Celtic warriors battling monster gods.  Art style looks great and the boss designs look interesting.

Couple other indie games this week look noteworthy.  Not a bad week.  

20 minutes ago, Eoae said:

I’m sure this won’t upset anyone.

What. In. The. Fuck.

This was something I was looking forward to at best and had some curiosity about at least, but this makes me want to avoid it complete.

I mean, how fucking tone deaf to the hatred for microtransactions do you have to be to lock STORY CHALLENGES behind a paywall?

At the very least, the outrage should be enough to make them reverse course. Or not. Who knows anymore.

Considering it was just announced as PS Plus game for February I am guessing their logic is "you didn't pay anything for the game so pay a little for the story" or something like that

19 hours ago, Craig H said:

What. In. The. Fuck.

This was something I was looking forward to at best and had some curiosity about at least, but this makes me want to avoid it complete.

I mean, how fucking tone deaf to the hatred for microtransactions do you have to be to lock STORY CHALLENGES behind a paywall?

At the very least, the outrage should be enough to make them reverse course. Or not. Who knows anymore.

From looking at the trophy list, people attempting the Platinum would locked out of doing so if they pay-walled the single player campaign.

Which they did with Fortnite as well, but that game takes like 1000 hours just to get the Platinum.

3 hours ago, Zimbra said:
MYou payin' those athletes, EA?

Nope.  At least for the time being, the game is not using any student-athletes’ names or likeness (EA said they will monitor that situation).

They are using colors, logos, stadiums, etc. of participating schools.