DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

20 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I am a sucker for idle dialogue.  It helps my immersion and the team dynamic of the Guardians is pretty great.

Yeah, the gameplay can be a little clunky at times, and you can lose your sense of place in battle sequences, but I really loved the story overall.

It's the first time I've blown through a game of that length in under a week probably since Bioshock Infinite came out. 

I decided to pick up a Series S today because it'll be ostensibly free for me once I resell/trade in my PS4/Xbox One S.

Not the version I want, but it'll help me stop gap until I can get a Series X later next year. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

I decided to pick up a Series S today because it'll be ostensibly free for me once I resell/trade in my PS4/Xbox One S.

Not the version I want, but it'll help me stop gap until I can get a Series X later next year. 

Series S has a few drawbacks - lack of an optical drive & not getting the One X patches being the most notable - but it's still a hell of a console.  In some ways, I'm more impressed with it than the Series X and I definitely think it's a better value, dollar for dollar.

I got a Series S at launch and a Series X in March or early April. I wanted the Series X for a few older delisted games I have to play from disc, but mostly I would have been quite happy with the Series S.

1 minute ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Series S has a few drawbacks - lack of an optical drive & not getting the One X patches being the most notable - but it's still a hell of a console.  In some ways, I'm more impressed with it than the Series X and I definitely think it's a better value, dollar for dollar.

I got a Series S at launch and a Series X in March or early April. I wanted the Series X for a few older delisted games I have to play from disc, but mostly I would have been quite happy with the Series S.

It was more just when I do play my One S that the load times were getting to me. The Forza Horizon 5 release was really eye opening. I have a few disc games that I want to play. Plus I want the power of the X at some point, but a blend of the S with a PS5 is probably solid for next gen gaming for now.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chaos said:

It was more just when I do play my One S that the load times were getting to me. 

I can relate.  I hooked up a PS4 slim last week to check it out and restore factory settings before selling it, and, out of curiosity, i played a few recent releases to see how they ran on a slim.  I don't think I'm a next gen snob or anything, but the load times seemed excessively long and annoying after playing Series X and PS5 for a year.    

6 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I can relate.  I hooked up a PS4 slim last week to check it out and restore factory settings before selling it, and, out of curiosity, i played a few recent releases to see how they ran on a slim.  I don't think I'm a next gen snob or anything, but the load times seemed excessively long and annoying after playing Series X and PS5 for a year.    

Nah, no snobbery there. Better load times are 100% one of the cool perks of up to date hardware. It's goddamn stunning in the Demon's Souls remake, for example.

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

You can check your 2021 game time on the switch now. 

My wife's stats look like that.  She spent over 500 hours on Animal Crossing and three hours playing Art of Balance.  Those are the only two video games she's played in the past decade.  I think she spent more time on Animal Crossing this year than last year.  Fortunately, she assures me she's not addicted.  I may stage an intervention anyway.  

Switch had a number of games I really enjoyed this year, but on the whole, I didn't play it much.  

15 hours ago, Chaos said:

I got the BlackBox S/X on Cyber Monday last year and have enjoyed it ever since.  Games optimized for S/X are gorgeous.  You will not regret your purchase... unless you really wanted to play Ghost of Tsushima..  

For that, I can only say, "Hey! Hopefully Trek to Yomi will be good!"

Edited by J.T.

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

I got the BlackBox S/X on Cyber Monday last year and have enjoyed it ever since.  Games optimized for S/X are gorgeous.  You will not regret your purchase... unless you really wanted to play Ghost of Tsushima..  

For that, I can only say, "Hey! Hopefully Trek to Yomi will be good!"

I've had a PS5 since launch. This was just filling the xbox gap. This is why I've been okay with stop gapping because xbox has mostly been a Gamepass/things I already owned on past generations device, but you could start to see where the One was holding back games generated for the new generation on a One. 

For anyone thinking of picking up Praey for the Gods, apparently the PS5 got an enhanced native version in addition to the PS4 release.  The game was also released for the Xbox One and is playable on Series X via backwards compatibility.

Also, if anyone is into Cave shooters, a Deathsmiles I & II compilation was released today for PS4.  Will be available for Switch tomorrow.  I'm a big fan of Cave and highly recommend Deathsmiles (aside from the awkward goth anime Lolita influence, of course).

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 1

I’ve noticed that a couple of my PS5 games haven’t auto updated.  The issue seems to be that they are stored on an external hdd.  Does the auto update feature only work with games stored on an ssd?  Or does it just not work on PS5 games moved to the external hdd.  

i haven’t bought an external ssd yet.  Thinking it’s time to pick up one and install it when I get a new faceplate next month.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

For anyone thinking of picking up Praey for the Gods, apparently the PS5 got an enhanced native version in addition to the PS4 release.  The game was also released for the Xbox One and is playable on Series X via backwards compatibility.

Also, if anyone is into Cave shooters, a Deathsmiles I & II compilation was released today for PS4.  Will be available for Switch tomorrow.  I'm a big fan of Cave and highly recommend Deathsmiles (aside from the awkward goth anime Lolita influence, of course).

Both of those are in my cart now. Also, Black Bird, moon, and Record of Lodoss War Deedlit in Wonder got released yesterday. I think my wallet's already dead, Sony.

3 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Both of those are in my cart now. Also, Black Bird, moon, and Record of Lodoss War Deedlit in Wonder got released yesterday. I think my wallet's already dead, Sony.

Good call on moon & Black Bird.  Had them in my Switch library but I'd prefer to have them on PS4/5, so I'll be double-dipping.

My week's purchases are about the same.  Praey, Deathsmiles, moon, Black Bird.  Also the Gunk for Xbox & maybe Firegirl for PC.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 6:35 PM, odessasteps said:

Anyone getting or gotten this Analog Pocket retro handheld system? GX just did a review of it. 

Gamesack and Modern Vintage Gamer both did reviews and raved about it.  Both said the dock - another $100 - is practically required.  So you're looking at $300 for a Gameboy/GBA.  

Sounds like a tremendous product if you're absolutely in love with the Gameboy but is definitely way more than I'd spend on such a device.

Hey Friends - so my nephew FINALLY gave us his Xmas list and he wants an external hard drive for his PS4 with the only requirement being that its at least 2T

Easy enough obviously but since I haven't ever bought a HDD for a Playstation wasn't sure which brands I should or should not be looking for.

Couple Final Fantasy things:

1) FF7R is now on PC through the Epic Games store.

2) Because of ongoing server congestion and the superconductor/server hardware shortage, FF XIV is suspending the sales of the game and limiting free trial logins. Yes, they are literally going to take a profit hit until they can get this worked out, which may take a few more months.

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Hey Friends - so my nephew FINALLY gave us his Xmas list and he wants an external hard drive for his PS4 with the only requirement being that its at least 2T

Easy enough obviously but since I haven't ever bought a HDD for a Playstation wasn't sure which brands I should or should not be looking for.

My nephews get a crisp $20 and a card.

If I have picked up a copy of Burnout Remastered for ten bucks, they might get that, too.

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I still use my WD_BLACK harddrive for the PS5, originally bought it for the PS4. It’s 4TB and I caught it when it was on sale for super cheap. Amazon has a 2TB for $80 but it won’t be delivered until after Christmas (of course maybe you can find it in-store somewhere?).

I eventually want to get another SSD or the internal expansion for the PS5, but for right now I’m not too bothered. Now, my Xbox on the other hand… it’s getting full, on both the external SSD and the internal factory harddrive. Fuckin’ GamePass.

18 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The PS dudes at my office say you should go with either the Seagate Game Drive for PS4

Amazon.com: Seagate (STGD2000100) Game Drive for PS4 Systems 2TB External Hard Drive Portable HDD – USB 3.0, Officially Licensed Product : Electronics

or the Western Digital Gaming Portable.

Amazon.com: WD 2TB Gaming Drive works with Playstation 4 Portable External Hard Drive - WDBDFF0020BBK-WESN : Electronics

Both are 2TB, but the cheaper of the drives is still over sixty bucks.  

Edited by J.T.

Cool - thank you all.

I had already been eyeballing the Seagate.

That being said - I am only working a half day so I might be hitting some stores on the way home to see what is in stock