DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Having gotten all the major online trophies for Metal Gear Solid V on PS3, I'm working on Platinum'ing the game. Just have four trophies left - the major headache will be the S rank missions trophy and all the mission tasks trophy.

Even though the servers on PS3 version shut down next year, the game will be crippled by it and may be unobtainable/next to impossible to Platinum. There's at least five trophies that do better with the servers being active and online (earn 10 million GMP, develop 50/100/300 items, and key dispatch missions trophies).

18 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Legitimately not sure there was a good game nominated for Game of the Year. What a fall off from 2020.

Man, Deathloop and It Takes Two are both fucking amazing. My daughter and I just finished It Takes Two and, wow, many tears followed. It's one the most well written games I've ever played. 

Even though I haven't played it yet, I could see a case being made for Ratchet and Clank. Everything I've seen of it or heard of it has been very glowing.

29 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Legitimately not sure there was a good game nominated for Game of the Year. What a fall off from 2020.

While I haven't played them, I've heard and seen nothing but amazing things about Deathloop, It Takes Two, and Metroid Dread.  As for RE8, it was in the level of "really fucking good", so I'm not sure where the "no good games" comes from.

Now, if you want to talk about nominated RPG's..... 

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1

Deathloop really is fantastic. Nearly perfect game play, fun story, but I think it suffers the same thing as other time loop games where it gets very complicated. I'm at the stage where I'm trying to Pepe Silva the hell out of the game trying to figure out how to kill all 8 boss-type people in one day. For that reason, I think It Takes Two edges it out for me.

Metroid Dread I haven't played, but I've heard great things and not so great things. The not so great stuff seems to be focused around cheesing any time you have to escape EMI and the EMI stuff getting a little old. Plus, some people described Samus as being very un-Samus like. Despite that, the gameplay sounds flawless. 

I've played Deathloop, Ratchet and Clank, and Metroid Dread and I'd strongly recommend all three games. Deathloop is the one I'd say would be hit or miss for most people,  but the other two are kind of everything I could possibly want from those games. 

1 minute ago, christopher.annino said:

Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart is rad as fuck. 

Honestly,  I don't know a single complaint someone could have with that game. You could not like that type of game,  but once you decide to play a Ratchet and Clank game,  it gives you pretty much everything you could possibly want.  Of the games on the list,  it's the one that I think has the best case.  It's kind of the first game that doesn't try to bridge the gap between the current generation of systems and the last. It's a PS5 game that looks and feels like the future of games, not just the best possible PS4 game. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Death From Above said:

The first year after a console launch is usually pretty quiet.  It's a repeating pattern,  That said, I think all six of the nominees got solid reviews from fans and critics and generated a lot of buzz, so it's not a bad list.  I could make a case for any of them, even though my personal six would be slightly different.

I feel like it was a fairly quiet year for AAA games and only a decent year for AA.  Covid's partly to blame, but the launch cycle gets some blame too.  It was a really good year for indies, imo.  I could name off a couple dozen games that were odd and original and mostly worked very, very well.  I feel like picking indie nominees was probably a lot harder than choosing goty and I'm a bit annoyed a few great indies got overlooked.  

I don't know that the best five or ten from 2021 stack up with the top five or ten from 2021, but my top five in 2020 was Miles Morales, Last of Us 2, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Ghost of Tsushima, and FF7 Remake.  That group would be hard to compete with in any year.  

Hopefully 2022 is a loaded year.  Spring already looks packed with triple A titles.

I am a little surprised Returnal didn't make the list. I just finished it and while I don't think it is a 10/10 game it has a unique feel to it, is beautiful, and has a captivating (if not fully baked or explained) story. Was definitely worth playing and one of those games that will probably stay in my brain for a bit.

• Like 1

Being that pretty much everything but Halo is out,  what is your game of the year?

I'm playing Tales of Arise and Metroid Dread now,  and love both so far. Tales of Arise is a game that probably should be in consideration for game of the year,  but doesn't seem to be getting that kind of traction.  Ratchet and Clank was fucking dope. Deathloop was really good,  but it was too buggy and I got tired of it and never finished it. I have Far Cry 6, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Ghosts of Tsushima Directors Cut,  but haven't started them yet. 

I played both Scarlet Nexus and Psychonaughts 2, and wouldn't put either in the conversation for game of the year. Both are good,  but neither is special in my eyes. 

I couldn't put Far Cry 6 in there, it followed Ubisoft's formula of pretty much doing nothing with the series different from the last game outside of setting.  (Well, ok, it did a little deeper weapon customization but that's offset by the ammo types only being changable at Workbenches and being HUGE swings against enemies.)

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

I couldn't put Far Cry 6 in there, it followed Ubisoft's formula of pretty much doing nothing with the series different from the last game outside of setting.  (Well, ok, it did a little deeper weapon customization but that's offset by the ammo types only being changable at Workbenches and being HUGE swings against enemies.)

The best Ubisoft game in years was Immortals Fenix Rising. It was basically like Breath of the Wild and Assassins Creed had a goofy ass kid who was way less self serious than his parents. I'm pretty sure we'll never get a sequel,  but I'd be much more interested in playing that than any other Ubisoft game.