DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

16 hours ago, Craig H said:

Well, that sucks. She isn't the main account on my PS5. I wound up just creating a name for her so she could play couch co-op games with me. 

This shit shouldn't be this complicated or frustrating.

It's a little frustrating, but here's what you want to do... The PlayStation she has at her mom's, you want to log in on it and set that as your primary, which will allow her to download and play any of the games you have as if she's a guest on your home system. This won't affect your ability to play your own games and your own saves in your house. The other thing is, as far as I know, the PlayStation 5 is even more lax when it comes to those restrictions. My son has his own account and I can't play any of his purchase games on my PS4, but I can play them all on my PS5.

Now if she was to come over to your house and use a PS4, you have to change that back to your primary so she can have the same access. You can switch primaries as much as you want, so really as long as you trust her not to make random purchases on your account, she could just log in with a quick heads up to you* and change either system to your primary and then have the same kind of access as if she was at your house, but like I said it seems like the PlayStation 5 doesn't have even those restrictions so you probably won't have to do that.

* Because you can't be logged into two of the same system at the same time, whereas you can be logged in to both a PS4 and a PS5 simultaneously. 

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 1

The Gunk isn’t something I would have paid full price for, but because it’s on Gamepass (and Fiona Nova is the lead voice actress) I gave it a try. It only took about 5 hours to beat, and get all but three achievements out of… 17? But it’s a fun little platformer/mild “action” game. Vacuuming up the titular gunk is really addictive, and some of the puzzles take a minute to figure out - but none are “I need a walkthrough video” hard, which was nice.

Crazy that this came from the studio who did all of the SteamWorld games. They knocked it out of the park. Good length, not too easy or too hard, good VO work, simple and engaging story, and the environments all look great. The two human characters look fucking weird as hell due to their design choices, but it’s not terribly off-putting.

5 outta 5. If I wasn’t about to start up Mafia 3, I would go back to my last save and try and get the other three achievements but like I’ve said before, for some reason I don’t care about those on Xbox. It’s weird.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

5 outta 5. If I wasn’t about to start up Mafia 3, I would go back to my last save and try and get the other three achievements but like I’ve said before, for some reason I don’t care about those on Xbox. It’s weird.

I've never gotten 1000 gamescore or a platinum trophy on a game. I should once to say I have, but it's not something I commonly chase. 

I chase it a lot on PlayStation, but very rarely do I get there. The platinums I do have are on simple games, like Life Is Strange, or easy ones that don’t require lots of time or insane tasks (both Spider-Man games are easy platinums).

On 12/28/2021 at 9:08 AM, Mike Campbell said:

My wife and I finished the main story of "Immortals Fenyx Rising" last night. It's very challenging, but in the fun way that makes you really proud of yourself when you figure out the puzzle or what to do to get over that seemingly impossibly high wall to the next section of the game.  It's not exactly child friendly with some of the dialogue. At one point you rescue Ares after he was turned into a chicken, and Aphrodite asks him if he has any chicken left, he says no, and she says "Some fantasies are best left unfulfilled"

I really enjoyed Immortals. I liked the way the story addressed the Greek gods being a bunch of assholes without being fucking grim about it.

And I would think dialogue like that would just sail over a child's head, wouldn't it? I don't recall the game ever being explicit.

If I like the game enough I'll go for the Platinum, if it isn't especially insidious - or, specifically, doesn't have excessive multiplayer trophies. I've got 48 so far, most recently Psychonauts 2. Hardest was probably one of the Guacamelee games or maybe Rayman Legends with its damn daily challenges.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Casey said:

I chase it a lot on PlayStation, but very rarely do I get there. The platinums I do have are on simple games, like Life Is Strange, or easy ones that don’t require lots of time or insane tasks (both Spider-Man games are easy platinums).

As judging by my frequent posts about what Platinums I got - I chase too many of them. Some I like (Uncharted series, Tomb Raider (2013), Horizon: Zero Dawn, Spyro, LEGO games, etc), some I'm proud to have (Killzone 2, Warhawk, US/Europe/Japan regions of Demon's Souls PS3, Demon's Souls PS5, Dark Souls 1 & 2, Twisted Metal) and others I wonder why I did it (the numerous easy Platinums I've gotten).

The trick is find the games you want to do and not worry about chasing clout for Platinums that the 'trophy hunting community' do.

Edited by Andrew POE!
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I really enjoyed Immortals. I liked the way the story addressed the Greek gods being a bunch of assholes without being fucking grim about it.

And I would think dialogue like that would just sail over a child's head, wouldn't it? I don't recall the game ever being explicit.

Immortals is a really good game. I got all the way to the part where you're supposed to jump through the portal to go after Typhon, but that was right around the time that Mass Effect: Legendary Edition came out and I just sort of abandoned it at that point.

One of these days I should probably go back and finish it.

I sure wish that Octopath Traveler would quit tugging at my heartstrings.   It would also be nice if the bosses on Ophelia's story path did not have the ability to nearly murder everyone in the party at once simply to challenge her role as a dedicated healer.

13 hours ago, tbarrie said:

The only explicit part I'm recalling is Aphrodite telling Hesphestos that there's a better chance of an orgy taking place between some of the gods/goddesses before she gets with him.

23 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

It's a little frustrating, but here's what you want to do... The PlayStation she has at her mom's, you want to log in on it and set that as your primary, which will allow her to download and play any of the games you have as if she's a guest on your home system. This won't affect your ability to play your own games and your own saves in your house. The other thing is, as far as I know, the PlayStation 5 is even more lax when it comes to those restrictions. My son has his own account and I can't play any of his purchase games on my PS4, but I can play them all on my PS5.

Now if she was to come over to your house and use a PS4, you have to change that back to your primary so she can have the same access. You can switch primaries as much as you want, so really as long as you trust her not to make random purchases on your account, she could just log in with a quick heads up to you* and change either system to your primary and then have the same kind of access as if she was at your house, but like I said it seems like the PlayStation 5 doesn't have even those restrictions so you probably won't have to do that.

* Because you can't be logged into two of the same system at the same time, whereas you can be logged in to both a PS4 and a PS5 simultaneously. 

Thanks. I wound up taking a different route before reading this though. So she already added her profile to the PS4 at her mom's house. I signed up her account for PS Plus. At her mom's, I had her set that system as primary for her and my PS5 is still primary for me. The only drawback to all of this is that we have a Greenlight card setup for her (it's an actual debit card that my wife and I add money to for chores, good grades, accomplishments, etc.) and she can't use that card or any PSN gift card on her own. Since I stupidly setup a family account years ago and added her to that, the only way she can spend money as a child on the account is if I add money to the account's wallet and set a spending limit for her. It's not a big deal. It's just a little annoying.

The more annoying issue now is that she's big into playing Genshin Impact. Now I need to figure out a way to unlink my PS5 from her Genshin account so she can re-link the PS4 at her mom's. People on Reddit said to contact Genshin Impact's customer support, but who knows how well that will go.

• Like 1

BTW, this all brings up that as much flack we may give Nintendo for being weird or behind the times or just slow in general, Sony is just as bizarre, whether it's how long it took to implement a feature to change your username, the difficulty in using two different systems and running into issues of being allowed to play a game or even import a save from the cloud, adding a child to a family account and then being unable to remove that child, children on family accounts not even being able to have their own separate wallet to use gift cards they may have received for Christmas, and just how poor their pause/resume feature is when putting a system to rest and turning it back on a day later only for the controller to not even turn on the system and for some reason the entire system turned off causing you to have to do a repair check on the SSDs in the system and any attached USB hard drives.

The Xbox may be the only system I haven't had any issues with aside from getting to learn the whole UI/OS on the Series X. Everything has just worked. And actually, I probably would say the same for the Switch in that we haven't really had any issues with that except for when we had to replace our Switch. The PS5 has just been a weekly annoyance. While the account issues don't pop up often, we have weekly issues with the system turning completely off where it acts like we lost power when we didn't, the Dualsense controllers both drift, and the battery on the Dualsense controllers last maybe 2 days max before they have to be charged again. I has been almost three weeks since I last charged my Xbox Elite 2 controller and the Switch controllers, both Joycons and the Pro, last a really long time. I don't know, maybe I need to look into the warranty for the controllers or something. I just don't feel like the battery should drain that fast. And we're not talking about super long gaming sessions either. It's maybe a couple hours one day and a couple hours the next.

So am I to understand that the first Witcher game is a clunky POS only worthwhile due to its story and the second one is a legitimately great game? 

Why isn't cdpr making easy money remastering the first one? I think I'll hold off on that one for now and jump into the 2nd one in a bit before 3 gets its facelift in q2 of 2022 (allegedly). 

That's kind of the understanding.  I've also heard "sex card/bromide collectible game with occasional rhythm combat sections" as a description for Witcher 1. 

There are a couple of lengthy, full-blown playthroughs of it on Youtube that make it clear how the story isn't even that good, or at least suffers from a number of serious lapses that aren't typically present in # 3.  You can skip conversations with major characters like Zoltan and Dandelion and then enter a later conversation where it seems like you're talking about something you never talked about before, because it's just convenient to the plot to discuss the thing you never actually discussed during the meeting that never happened. 

I couldn't get into # 2 after playing # 3, because even then the combat and movement felt too clunky.  Say what you will about certain AAA studios and their RPG/FPS games - and I have - but at least their controls are smooth, and I'm terribly spoiled on them.  I'd love to see CDPR update both games, but I doubt they ever will unless they are desperate for cash.

• Like 1

I played Witcher 2 on my Series X five months ago and really enjoyed it.  Don't really agree that the dated controls spoil the game.

On 12/28/2021 at 5:19 PM, Mark said:

Is it widely known that the official PS5 faceplates/covers being released by Sony next month exclusive to Sony's PS store for a month?  I somehow read several articles when the covers were announced and didn't realize that.  i was basically planning to pick up one from the Best Buy on release day.  Stumbled across them on the PSN store today and realized that the first batch won't hit third-party retailers until Feb. 18.  Sony is promising delivery of orders placed through them on Jan. 21.

I'm assuming most of us know this, but I'm mentioning this for anyone who missed it like I did.  

Yeah, I didn't know this either.  Was just planning to pick them up day one somewhere.  Guess I'll run over to the PS store and pre-order.  Thanks.

Oh god, I’m going to sink so much time into Disco Elysium, aren’t I? My alcoholic detective just had a heart attack after kicking a furnace while investigating the basement of a defunct two way radio RPG company - immediately before the heart attack, I tried to open a frozen ice cream maker with a crowbar.

Fuuuuuck. This game is great.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

At least once in every Guardians of the Galaxy session:

Me: "Guys! Huddle up!"

Team: "What do we do now, Peter?!"

Me: *gives rousing, inspirational speech*

Team: "Let's go get 'em!"

Music: "Here's a little song I wrote. . .you might want to sing it note for note. Don't worry. . .be happy."

52 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

At least once in every Guardians of the Galaxy session:

Me: "Guys! Huddle up!"

Team: "What do we do now, Peter?!"

Me: *gives rousing, inspirational speech*

Team: "Let's go get 'em!"

Music: "Here's a little song I wrote. . .you might want to sing it note for note. Don't worry. . .be happy."

On second thought, maybe it's good I could never hear the music.  Well I could hear it, but it sounded like it was being played from a car stereo from a parking lot across the street.

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic