DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

On 11/27/2021 at 12:22 PM, twiztor said:

you guys: Metroid Dread is really good. 

finished Metroid Dread this morning. first let me say, again, that it is an EXCELLENT game.  the controls do get a bit wonky with the combinations late in the game, but i didn't think it was too terrible. And the difficulty that is so talked about? the initial time you face off against each boss, i can see it, but it doesn't take long to know their moves, find their weaknesses, and prevail. IMO pretty much a perfect difficulty balance.  After almost 18 hours of pure joy (note: at least three times i got lost for an hour plus), i'm still only at 74% items found.

Really enjoying the PS5.  Great machine.  i do have a couple questions about PS4->PS5 upgrades.  Some of the upgrade paths are more confusing than they need to be.

1) Spider-Man Remastered.  I upgraded my PS4 edition of Miles Morales to PS5 earlier in the week.  This morning, I paid the $20 to upgrade from the standard edition to Ultimate Edition so I could download Spider-Man Remastered (the first game).  Google says the dlc is built into the remaster and I don't see anything else to download, but the file was only 54GB,  The original PS4 file pushed 100 GB once the dlc was added in.  Did I miss something?  I don't think I did, but I want to be sure.

2) Ghost of Tsushima.  Iki Island is built into the Director's Cut, right?  There's no separate dlc?  I owned the game on PS4 and upgraded this morning.  The icon for the game still just says "Ghost of Tsushima" but it does register as a PS5 game, not a PS4, so I assume that's right.  The only other thing I see to download is the bonus content file which is I think is just the digital art book and the director's commentary interview.  I looked at both of those items on PS4 and don't really want to download it again.  I can put that 20 gb to better use.  Do I need to download the bonus content?   It doesn't include any in-game content, right?

Thanks.

23 hours ago, Mario said:

2) Ghost of Tsushima.  Iki Island is built into the Director's Cut, right?  There's no separate dlc?  I owned the game on PS4 and upgraded this morning.  The icon for the game still just says "Ghost of Tsushima" but it does register as a PS5 game, not a PS4, so I assume that's right.  The only other thing I see to download is the bonus content file which is I think is just the digital art book and the director's commentary interview.  I looked at both of those items on PS4 and don't really want to download it again.  I can put that 20 gb to better use.  Do I need to download the bonus content?   It doesn't include any in-game content, right?

I can help with this one. Iki Island is not in a separate application. When you start Ghost of Tsushima, there will be a location from which you can travel to Iki in the game as long as you have cleared at least the first island in the base game, I believe. 

• Like 1

As far as PS5 game size being smaller than PS4, that's absolutely legitimate and is due to using a solid state HD. It's pretty damn cool, really, having smaller games and incredible load times. ALMOST has me wanting to buy an additional SSD but I'm not quite there yet, between library and expendable income.

I finally hooked up my PS4 to run off a wired connection to the internet so my system was all OH THANK GOD! HE ARE THE 42 UPDATES WE HAVE TO RUN!

My goal is to finish Horizon Zero Dawn before the end of the year (I should note yet again that literally all I have to do is start the final battle)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Playing Yooka Laylee has me nostalgic not for Banjo-Kazooie but for a certain flavour of British slang and humour that was all around when I was younger but I now realise has been absent in I think every bit of media I've consumed this century up to this point.

22 hours ago, Raziel said:

Yeah, but that final battle takes a while...

I haven't played it and finished it in a few years but for some reason I feel like it didn't take all that long... But then I'm thinking, isn't this a game where you do all of the side missions first and then you get a bunch of assistance in the final battle, whereas if you just play the game straight through you are on your own at the end? I feel like that's right.

5 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I haven't played it and finished it in a few years but for some reason I feel like it didn't take all that long... But then I'm thinking, isn't this a game where you do all of the side missions first and then you get a bunch of assistance in the final battle, whereas if you just play the game straight through you are on your own at the end? I feel like that's right.

Yes - that I do know because I had to go and talk to all the people I recruited before starting the fight.

My biggest thing is I am gonna have to spend some time remembering the controls

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yes - that I do know because I had to go and talk to all the people I recruited before starting the fight.

My biggest thing is I am gonna have to spend some time remembering the controls

I have a similar issue with going back and revisiting older games, like I recently jumped back into Ghost of Tsushima to try the DLC and yeah, getting my ass whooped left and right. Of course then I went and started Psychonauts 2, so that kind of messes things up even further.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Yeah, and if you don't do the DLC before the final battle you miss out on some of those characters coming to your aide as well.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Oh God Dammit - I was gonna do the DLC after

Well looks like I have two things to do now

For what its worth, you don't need the Frozen Wilds characters for the trophy (since the DLC was released after the game came out). But it's worth it for the weapons and stuff you get.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 7:39 AM, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Yes.  I liked it well enough to buy it for every console, lol.  I bought it day one for the Switch after seeing it previewed on a Nintendo showcase, then bought it again when it was ported to PS4, and a third time when I got my Series X.

Raji: An Ancient Epic - Enhanced Edition was announced back in the summer.  Some graphics upgrades, full voice acting, some gameplay changes, etc.  I think I read somewhere it was going to include new bosses & story content.  Haven't heard anything about it lately, but in July, the developer was saying it would be released before the end of the year.  It's a free update so you won't have to rebuy the game.

Enhanced edition? Hmm maybe I'll wait. I ended up starting another Dark Soul's playthrough so we'll see how long I stick with it.

On 11/30/2021 at 1:18 PM, Mario said:

Yeah, setting up the PS5 was a breeze.  I went home at lunch to unbox the console and set it up and, in the space of an hour, I had it set up and basically ready to go.  Need to poke around the menus a bit more and patch the PS4 games on the external storage drive, but, otherwise, I'm basically ready play.  Guess it's time to start researching SSD's.

What do people think of the Series X and PS5 one year out?  Just curious.  I've had a Series X since Spring and really like it.  Not a lot of exclusives yet, but the backwards compatibility gives you a huge library to play with straight out of the box.

Thanks for the feedback about the external drive.

I got mine in January of this year and I really dig it, the exclusives are great and the graphics and loading times are a big upgrade for me. Even loading PS4 games to the SSD makes a difference (try Outer Worlds on the SSD vs an external HD). Plus the extra PS4 games you get for having a PS5 was great for me since it allowed me to play stuff that I was on the fence about buying.

Weird thing I noticed. I was pricing out where to find the best deal for Assassins Creed: Valhalla and noticed that the PS4 version was $49 in Walmart but the PS5 version was $29. Are PS5 games cheaper than PS4 games for some reason?

15 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Weird thing I noticed. I was pricing out where to find the best deal for Assassins Creed: Valhalla and noticed that the PS4 version was $49 in Walmart but the PS5 version was $29. Are PS5 games cheaper than PS4 games for some reason?

Looks like it was just a computer error because if you look now the PS4 version is $29

Finished the De Vespe Conspiracy DLC in GreedFall.  The loot was kinda meh.  It was either not better than the stuff I have already found in the game or it was stuff like heavy two-handed weapons that I am not proficient in.  Oh, well.  At least I unlocked a few achievements.

I think I am closing in on the endgame.  After I beat GreedFall, I think GoTG and Xuan Yuan 7 are next on my Pile of Shame.

Halo Infinite single player is really, really, really fucking good. This game scratches such an itch for me where I'm basically just getting lost in hunting for core upgrades, audio files, and completing bounties. The gameplay is just so much fun. I've had so many cool Halo moments with that grappling hook.

• Like 1

I'm still playing the most recent entry in the original Dark Souls series - that is, Metroid - and got the 4th EMMI down after much running about with my hair on fire.  Jesus.  I cheesed Kraid with the early slide jump to retrieve the bombs, then didn't really know what to do with myself for a good hour until I fumbled my way into the Dairon Central Unit without really trying to get there.  Let's just say that green sonofabitch received a bit of victory dancing and teabagging (insofar as Samus can teabag without a crouch or a scrotum) after it was down.  Frankly, the game is more fun when you can just putter around and discover things. 

I really fucking hate the EMMIs.

• Like 1

Blasphemous just put out a new (apparently final) content update. As someone pointed out to me this was on the horizon right after I bought it, I shelved doing a serious playthrough until now because what's a couple weeks one way or the other. Looking forward to digging into it more fully soon.

4 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Blasphemous just put out a new (apparently final) content update. 

The new expansion is considered the final part of Blasphemous 1.  The developer is already working on Blasphemous 2.  The sequel is probably a couple years away.  IIRC, the Game Kitchen is hoping Blasphemous 2 will get out the door in 2023.

• Like 1

So I made it through the main quest for Endwalker. Initial gut feelings say it's not quite as good as Shadowbringer, but still better than Stormblood. It's dark as fuck, to the point where I thought it could have used a trigger warning or two. But it never felt like it dragged or that you were doing something just to fill time. I'll take a second character through in a week or two, once I've had some time to chew on the story.

• Like 1